Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    That would be three wraps under my terminology (mileage may vary). And that is what I was referring to with the three wraps being a pain to adjust the height. Walking the loops up the tree is a tedious process.

as for the HH tree straps, I have an HH as well as my WB though I switched the suspension to a continuous loop with becket straps from WB as I liked them so much better. I have now been down the hammock path for only a few months and already own two and think of trying out a ridgerunner. And been contemplating learning to sew as I really like my BB XLC but it could be a couple inches wider. I’m going to start with a gear loft for the HH my partner uses. I can do hand cut dovetails. Sewing can’t be that much harder.

And FWIW, I will never go back to being a ground dweller unless the situation requires it. I know I am preaching to the choir here but the hammock is vastly superior. I am just disappointed it took me 52yrs to figure that out.
    Ah, okay... that makes a lot of sense regarding the wraps. Yep, 3 wraps is starting to get a bit problematic if up/down adjustment is needed.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Toss carabiner around tree, clip, done. Anything further is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist (slipping). If you're worried about tree damage (which I believe is another non- or at most very negligible issue unless you're being blatantly careless), I think you're prone to aggravating that likelihood with multiple wraps since there's more strap shimmying involved to get it correct and more strap edges to snag on bark, which is where any scuffing or flaking occurs vs. direct pressure from a single wrap.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruxxx View Post
    Toss carabiner around tree, clip, done. Anything further is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist (slipping). If you're worried about tree damage (which I believe is another non- or at most very negligible issue unless you're being blatantly careless), I think you're prone to aggravating that likelihood with multiple wraps since there's more strap shimmying involved to get it correct and more strap edges to snag on bark, which is where any scuffing or flaking occurs vs. direct pressure from a single wrap.
    I'm probably going to stick with the slipped buntline hitch—no carabiner required—although it's sometimes fun and/or educational to ponder options. I prefer things to be as simple as possible, which is webbing and knots. Even a sewn loop is not needed... a loop made with an overhand knot works fine, just not as pretty.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    It's interesting what one can learn about camping and outdoor life from the comfort of one's chair in the internet age. Some of this sounds like there could be some truth to this, but of course one missed variable can upset the well intentioned apple cart, but none the less I'm going to take some of this to heart and save all those trees I've been unkind to. If a little is good, more must be gooder, right? So from now on, I'm going to wrap my tree straps at least 12 times with my ultra light four inch wide straps, and hope legislation comes along and mandates this more green approach to ease the suffering of our upright, rigid forest friends
    Does anyone know where I can get a good 120 liter ultra light tree strap back-pack? I'm going to be enviro-mental-y friendly from now on. This is a great, inspiring thread.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    It's interesting what one can learn about camping and outdoor life from the comfort of one's chair in the internet age. Some of this sounds like there could be some truth to this, but of course one missed variable can upset the well intentioned apple cart, but none the less I'm going to take some of this to heart and save all those trees I've been unkind to. If a little is good, more must be gooder, right? So from now on, I'm going to wrap my tree straps at least 12 times with my ultra light four inch wide straps, and hope legislation comes along and mandates this more green approach to ease the suffering of our upright, rigid forest friends
    Does anyone know where I can get a good 120 liter ultra light tree strap back-pack? I'm going to be enviro-mental-y friendly from now on. This is a great, inspiring thread.
    I'm just going to stay out of the woods altogether. All I do is burn hydrocarbons all the way there, stress out the animals and damage the trees, and then burn more hydrocarbons going home.

As for a big backpack—if you still insist on annoying the animals and plants—you're going to want a custom McHale:

McHale pack.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    Not sure if I offended you in some way by wondering how many times is better for adjustability and for the tree in general (as that is clearly sarcasm). Mostly about grip on the tree. Though if I did not care at all about the tree I would just bring a drill and eyebolts and anchor it down. So I am fine with being a little cognizant that if I tweak my practices slightly it might make the tree healthier and there for around longer for hangers in the future.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I wrap twice around small to medium sized trees
    This is called a “round turn” and it greatly reduces the chances of strap slipping downwards even a tiny bit. Both ends of round turn as they are joined by a carabiner or evo loop, extend downward, and the middle of round turn stays in place—without slipping. This round turn chokes up on the tree for an extremely tight grip

For larger trees, my strap goes only once around tree, there is more surface area to contact and more friction to reduce chances of strap slipping down tree.

The downside is, it takes longer to attach and detach from tree.

Ok to laugh at my attempts to hang my hammock, I do many things different, some for good reason and some just for fun

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    Not sure if I offended you in some way by wondering how many times is better for adjustability and for the tree in general (as that is clearly sarcasm). Mostly about grip on the tree. Though if I did not care at all about the tree I would just bring a drill and eyebolts and anchor it down. So I am fine with being a little cognizant that if I tweak my practices slightly it might make the tree healthier and there for around longer for hangers in the future.
    In my view it was a very worthwhile discussion and I actually learned a couple of things that I've added to my 'database'.... 1) good to consider when attaching to trees with fragile bark, and 2) when using marginally rated webbing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234