Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Glad you boys are feeling superior to those that choose hardware over knots but I've been at this awhile.

I was one of the founding members of Hammock Forums (2006 I believe) and the 1st moderator that Just Jeff brought on.
    For the first year or two I read every single post and made lots of replies.
    As Hammock Forums continued to grow, I tried to keep up by scanning posts.

After awhile I asked Jeff to consider some other members that I thought would be good at moderating.
    And he brought more on.

A few years back I had become burned out and stepped away from moderating.

I couldn't begin to tell you all the hardware, knots, fabrics, etc.
    and I don't care to try to learn them all.

That's why I humbly ask the opinions of those that have stayed current with what I am considering.

I've tried a lot of things, had ideas that stuck and contributed quite a bit to the hammock community.

So, I been most satisfied with webbing and some hardware.
    For a long time now I've been using climber rings on my webbing and for the most part I find it simple and functional.

Now I'm going to revisit the new types of buckles that are in use.

Thank you.
    Tim/ slowhike
    I just read back through every post in this thread, and while I'm sorry that you feel the way that you do I just don't see the justification for it.

As with many threads, enthusiastic proponents of this way or that way or many other ways tend to pull the thread drift in different directions. But for crying out loud, it's only 18 posts in and already we knot-o-philes have made our usual pitches and that conversation is petering out, and the floor is open as it always has been for anyone who wants to offer hardware suggestions. Gooless has already mentioned Nama Claws, which I've seen many, many people suggest as a great alternative to friction knots for tarp CRLs.

So you don't want to hear any more about knots. Fair 'nuff.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I do plan to give the NAMA claws a try.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Actually I think I was blending (in my mind) this ridgeline thread and a hammock suspension thread I started were I wanted opinions on the best buckles for webbing.

On another site I started out by saying that wasn't interested in whoppies or hitches but people kept talking about them anyway.

My apologies.

I do plan to give the NAMA claws a try.
    You might want to consider this:

https://loopalien.com/products/titan...uous-ridgeline

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Actually I think I was blending (in my mind) this ridgeline thread and a hammock suspension thread I started were I wanted opinions on the best buckles for webbing.

On another site I started out by saying that wasn't interested in whoppies or hitches but people kept talking about them anyway.

My apologies.
    No worries.

Yes, I saw the other thread about buckles but I didn't comment there because I have almost no experience with them except for Beetle Buckles which I used for a short while.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    The claws are great. The only downside is they can be horribly tangly little buggers when spooled up on a ridgeline. Throw a couple loops in the "hook" as you wind up and this problem is almost completely eliminated. I also use them on my tieouts, hooking nicely to short shockcord loops at the corners.

Knots, hardware, whatever. Have fun trying all of it.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I’ve always wanted to try these. I believe they can work for both hammock suspension and tarp. Neat design.

https://www.fugal-innovations.com/product/turtle-tie/

hey slowhike, i'm sorry if i gave you such impression, i know i do tend to go on in a bit too much detail about things, and i did sort of sidetrack things chatting with cmoulder about our common (or rather overlaping) interest, but at now point did i mean it to sound condescending, and believe, at no point did i feel in any way superior. i even stated explicitly that i am glad there's room for all of us to experiment and share ideas and experience (as you say, i cannot play with every piece of hardware and knot and setup that exists these days, reading other peoples experiments and views is part of what makes this forum so valuable). the rambling about knots and people being put off by them for the wrong reasons was completely offtopic btw (sorry for that), definitely had nothing to do with you, and it actually was not even about knots as such, it was more about how we (all of us) think and experiment with things, and what motivates us. it's just interesting to me, and definitely not meant as any kind of judgment.

i only post here when i think i might have something to add which somebody could use, or when i have some ideas that need challenging by other intelligent and experienced people, so whenever i post, it always implies a question too (what am i missing, etc), even if it's not explicitly stated. i know i might come across as a bit rough around the edges sometimes, and the fact english is not my native language might contribute to my inability to communicate the right nuances in writing, but please accept my apologies, in advance, if it ever feels offensive to you, and be assured it has nothing to do with you, it's just my limitations in communication and perhaps sometimes also understanding.

sorry again if i gave the wrong vibe to the discussion

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Yes, I have looked at the Loop Aliens. May try those as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    No worries.

Yes, I saw the other thread about buckles but I didn't comment there because I have almost no experience with them except for Beetle Buckles which I used for a short while.
    I ordered a set of Beetle Buckles to try. Did they not do well for you?

Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    The claws are great. The only downside is they can be horribly tangly little buggers when spooled up on a ridgeline. Throw a couple loops in the "hook" as you wind up and this problem is almost completely eliminated. I also use them on my tieouts, hooking nicely to short shockcord loops at the corners.

Knots, hardware, whatever. Have fun trying all of it.
    Yes, I have seen others talk about the tangle issues. One person told me how he eliminates that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I’ve always wanted to try these. I believe they can work for both hammock suspension and tarp. Neat design.

https://www.fugal-innovations.com/product/turtle-tie/
    A lot of cool stuff out there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    hey slowhike, i'm sorry if i gave you such impression, i know i do tend to go on in a bit too much detail about things, and i did sort of sidetrack things chatting with cmoulder about our common (or rather overlaping) interest, but at now point did i mean it to sound condescending, and believe, at no point did i feel in any way superior. i even stated explicitly that i am glad there's room for all of us to experiment and share ideas and experience (as you say, i cannot play with every piece of hardware and knot and setup that exists these days, reading other peoples experiments and views is part of what makes this forum so valuable). the rambling about knots and people being put off by them for the wrong reasons was completely offtopic btw (sorry for that), definitely had nothing to do with you, and it actually was not even about knots as such, it was more about how we (all of us) think and experiment with things, and what motivates us. it's just interesting to me, and definitely not meant as any kind of judgment.

i only post here when i think i might have something to add which somebody could use, or when i have some ideas that need challenging by other intelligent and experienced people, so whenever i post, it always implies a question too (what am i missing, etc), even if it's not explicitly stated. i know i might come across as a bit rough around the edges sometimes, and the fact english is not my native language might contribute to my inability to communicate the right nuances in writing, but please accept my apologies, in advance, if it ever feels offensive to you, and be assured it has nothing to do with you, it's just my limitations in communication and perhaps sometimes also understanding.

sorry again if i gave the wrong vibe to the discussion
    No problem. Sorry that I came off to strong.
    I should have said earlier that I wanted to try hardware for the ridge line because I understand that pursik knots tend to slip.
    From you and others I see there are other friction knots that work better.
    I'm just not that into knots but I guess if I did one of those on my ridge line, it would just be there and not need to be retied.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast