Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will it work?

Will it work?

Just been reading about double layer hammocks so you can slip a sleeping pad inbetween the layers so the thing doesn't move as you sleep and move. Read about how to sew a second layer of fabric to the existing one, but curious as to whether it would work to slip the sleeping pad between the single layer hammock & the underquilt?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Two points.
    One, an underquilt will not snug up firmly enough against the bottom of a hammock to hold a pad against you.
    Two, most people use a pad instead of an underquilt to prevent their butt from freezing. A binary rather than composite solution.

Have a good hang.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    In most situations you don't need a pad to deal with CBS. Rather you need help adjusting the UQ properly.

Have someone close to your size and weight get in the hammock and load it for you. Then look at the way the UQ hangs and make adjustments to eliminate any sag or places that don't seal well. If you don't have someone to help you, make sure the hammock is empty and adjust the UQ suspension so that it elevates the hammock body several inches.

Shug of course has a video or two that demonstrates this beautifully. Take a look!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    In most situations you don't need a pad to deal with CBS. Rather you need help adjusting the UQ properly.

Have someone close to your size and weight get in the hammock and load it for you. Then look at the way the UQ hangs and make adjustments to eliminate any sag or places that don't seal well. If you don't have someone to help you, make sure the hammock is empty and adjust the UQ suspension so that it elevates the hammock body several inches.

Shug of course has a video or two that demonstrates this beautifully. Take a look!

https://tinyurl.com/3xf948j9
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Putting a pad — air or foam — into a GE hammock is IMVHO a big step backward from the whole notion of getting a hammock in the first place.

I tried it (air mat) early on, and even when I managed to finally get it positioned after what closely resembled a long wrestling match with a greased pig there was always a body part hanging off, uninsulated. No thanks.

Far better to just get a good, well-adjusted, temperature-appropriate UQ.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    In my experience, the double layer does not prevent the pad from slipping into a less than ideal position, but it will prevent you from moving it back to where you need it effectively. However, even if you could figure out a way to keep the pad in the perfect place, there will be two problems that won't be solved:

1) The pad is a vapor barrier, and the contact area is much larger than it is when using the pad on the ground. This means that you're are sleeping in half a rain suit and have to deal with the resulting condensation.

2) Because the pad kind of wraps around you, it's almost always too narrow in the shoulders and the hip. This means cold spots. Of course pairing the pad with an underquilt helps with this.

However, I would suggest, too, to rather fix your underquilt than adding a pad. Adding a pad can be a good quick fix, but it's much more comfortable to get your underquilt to do its job properly.

By the way, I did have problems with CBS for years with normal underquilts, because I'm an extremely cold sleeper and feel every small air bubble between me and the underquilt. No amount of adjusting could solve this problem to my satisfaction. Then I got a Wooki and haven't looked back. A hammock shaped underquilt simply fits best under a hammock.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Since switching to the Sheltowee Whisper with it's full length integrated asym insulation for backpacking, I too can now feel every small air bubble in the partial UQ I use every night at home.

And I'm inside at about 74 degrees!

I never realized how much heat I was loosing on my lower legs and feet with a 2/3rds UQ. I have a 3/4 length that's better, but I still need a sit pad in the footbox when I use to take it on the trail.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post

2) Because the pad kind of wraps around you, it's almost always too narrow in the shoulders and the hip. This means cold spots. Of course pairing the pad with an underquilt helps with this..

I solved this with a short piece of foam pad for my shoulders placed at 90° to main pad.

Also my hips are not wider than a pad.
    I know alot of people whose hips are wider than a pad but they have trouble walking let alone hiking and tramping

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jadekayak View Post
    I solved this with a short piece of foam pad for my shoulders placed at 90° to main pad.
    Yes, that's what I did, too, when I was still using pads. But that adds another moving component to the pad dance. If it would have been just one problem, I could have found some kind of solution for it, but there were just too many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jadekayak View Post
    Also my hips are not wider than a pad.
    I know alot of people whose hips are wider than a pad but they have trouble walking let alone hiking and tramping
    Maybe that applies to men. I'm not particularly wide or heavy, and I haven't had trouble walking or hiking. I'm not a super active sleeper, but I also don't lie completely still. Also, I sleep somewhat on my side, which often resulted in contact with the uninsulated part of the hammock.

Frankly, gathered end hammocks and pads are not a match made in heaven. If I want or need to use a pad, I use a bridge or a 90° hammock. Both work well with pads. I also think that with a pad, you never reach the full comfort level that a GE hammock can provide. With a well fitting underquilt, it's like lying in a warm and cuddly cloud, and nothing slips or leaves you unprotected.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    I agree on the comfort factor of an underquilt.
    Problem is they are so dammed expensive and generally unavailable here.

I would have to make one and i have other more important stuff to make.

Long term goal is an UQ but at the moment im building liquid fuel stove parts-gas canisters are horrifically expensive here and dont last long.

Example-a 230gram canister at a fuel consumption of 250grams per hour means less than 1 hour usage and i like to simmer a stew for quite a whike.

I just bought a soto stormbreaker(runs on std automotive 91 octane petrol).480mls burns at full moise for 96mins according to brocure but i got 110mins with various heat settings.

Petrol is at worst around $2.80 per litre so thats about 3+ hours for $2.80.

An iso/butane canister cost between $4.80 and $8.00 for 230-250 grams and lasts a short time.

Also just about finished my custom tarp-posted in diy.

And working on new suspension devices.

My old ones i used for 7 months are ok but i CAN improve them, so i will.

Also making gold prospecting gear as that is a huge part of my holiday plans.
    Now i have a normal job back "in the big smoke" i can only mine in my holidays and need lightweight gear that still produces and can be taken on a plane.
    Last edited by jadekayak; 09-17-2021 at 13:46.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast