Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI

1st Two Hangs with UQ/TQ by HG

WOW! Just WOW!!!! WHY did I wait so long to make this purchase?!?! Money, but aside from that, I wanted to avoid accumulating too much gear and then not having the space for it all!
    I purcahsed Hammock Gear 850 line for both a 20* topquilt and underquilt. For those unfamiliar, 850 is a more compressible & lightweight down than their economy line, but there is also a superior 950 down as well which is more $$$. Being 5'4" I got the short length for my topquilt, the wider option so that it could double as a quilt with a groundpad should I ever find myself sleeping on the ground again (THE HORROR!). I opted for the zipper and toggle footbox style as I wanted flexibility with venting, and let's be honest, I camp in a wide range of temperatures and didn't want to have a more fall bag vs summer bag.

The set up of the system was EASY for the underquilt! I wish that the primary and secondary suspensions were different colors, like a gray and then black instead of both being black, but if you just follow the lines, you can figure out what you're adjusting easily. Fot my first trip I was camping three nights in temps in the mid 50s at night. FOr a 20* UQ and TQ, I let sag for my UQ and vented my TQ and I was perfectly fine in a tank & shorts!

This past weekend I camped in weather where it was hitting mid to high 40s at night. I cinched the UQ a little closer, and actually cinched the footbox completely closed on my TQ, light pajamas and I was so comfy! I actually woke up and found that I had shed part of the TQ but I wasn't too warm to actually wake up.

These two hangs were a far better experience than my previous system of double bivvy laid down, then a yoga mat, then a sleeping bag. I slept so much better!

Hammock
    HG Circadian
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    HGs (stacked!)
    Suspension
    strap/biner/knot
    nice hanging!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Love a good first UQ story!!!
    Whooooooo Buddy))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Don't you love that cozy, suspended in a down cloud, feeling? So glad you found the right stuff for you.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    It truly takes hanging to an entire new level!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    taraH, I have that same style (short/wide) HG TQ at 20 °. If there is any breeze at all, it is easy to roll to one side and tuck the TQ edge under the "up" side, then roll to the other side and do the same there. It's amazing home much extra coverage that seemingly little extra width gives. I hope you never have to find out how well it works on the ground (meaning you'll always be in your hammock).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by taraH View Post
    WOW! Just WOW!!!! WHY did I wait so long to make this purchase?!?! Money, but aside from that, I wanted to avoid accumulating too much gear and then not having the space for it all!
    I purcahsed Hammock Gear 850 line for both a 20* topquilt and underquilt. For those unfamiliar, 850 is a more compressible & lightweight down than their economy line, but there is also a superior 950 down as well which is more $$$. Being 5'4" I got the short length for my topquilt, the wider option so that it could double as a quilt with a groundpad should I ever find myself sleeping on the ground again (THE HORROR!). I opted for the zipper and toggle footbox style as I wanted flexibility with venting, and let's be honest, I camp in a wide range of temperatures and didn't want to have a more fall bag vs summer bag.

The set up of the system was EASY for the underquilt! I wish that the primary and secondary suspensions were different colors, like a gray and then black instead of both being black, but if you just follow the lines, you can figure out what you're adjusting easily. Fot my first trip I was camping three nights in temps in the mid 50s at night. FOr a 20* UQ and TQ, I let sag for my UQ and vented my TQ and I was perfectly fine in a tank & shorts!

This past weekend I camped in weather where it was hitting mid to high 40s at night. I cinched the UQ a little closer, and actually cinched the footbox completely closed on my TQ, light pajamas and I was so comfy! I actually woke up and found that I had shed part of the TQ but I wasn't too warm to actually wake up.

These two hangs were a far better experience than my previous system of double bivvy laid down, then a yoga mat, then a sleeping bag. I slept so much better!
    Once you try an underquilt you will never go back to a pad in my experience. I've had this same convo with long distance hammockers who insist on using a pad in their hammock because it saves weight. I have a 20F HG 3/4 UQ and have used it forever. It is one of my favorite pieces of gear and will likely get another one when it has seen its better days.

Enjoy being cradled in comfort by all that downy goodness!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Got my HG TQ/UQ five years ago and I'm STILL smiling!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Buy once, cry once. Now you'll never go back to the old way. Congratulations!
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

• + New Posts