Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The first time I had to pack my wet tarp back in the non-mesh sleeve, I understood the problem. It’s not the tarp; that will still have to be hung out to dry. It’s the inside of the nylon sleeve. The mesh skin will dry much more easily/quicker. I don’t use the sleeve to protect the tarp. I use the sleeve so in high-ish winds I can expose a little fo the tarp at a time while guying it out. And I can hang the just the ridgeline if I feel okay about not deploying it immediately. Note that more things fall from the sky besides rain. And that moon and get pretty bright. I tell people that, for me, it gets pretty dark when I close my eyes. But I’ve been out on a full moon night when it was overhead and seemed just like spotlight.

So for me, the skin is to aid in deploying in the wind. And when pulled over a wet tarp, the inside of the skin will get wet and you don’t want to store that away wet; mesh drys quicker.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    Yes I was THANK YOU! I have a hummingbird silpoly tarp that came in this teeny tiny "stuff sack" that a dry tarp can barlely fit into. The sack is made of the same material as the tarp. I was browsing on HG's site and saw the mesh sleeve and was like "Huh, that may have been useful last weekend". But snakeskins, I've gotta look into those as I am not sure what those are either!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by taraH View Post
    Yes I was THANK YOU! I have a hummingbird silpoly tarp that came in this teeny tiny "stuff sack" that a dry tarp can barlely fit into. The sack is made of the same material as the tarp. I was browsing on HG's site and saw the mesh sleeve and was like "Huh, that may have been useful last weekend". But snakeskins, I've gotta look into those as I am not sure what those are either!
    "Snakeskins" is just the name that Hennessy (?) used when they introduced them. So, it's a brand name. Snakeskin is to mesh sleeve as Kleenex is to tissue or Xerox is to photocopier.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    TaraH, “snakeskin” is just another name for the sleeve. It’s because the tarp in the sleeve looks like a boa constrictor suspended between two trees. When you pull the skin off the tarp, it’s like a snake shedding its skin.

My first introduction was the model sold my Hennessy Hammocks; maybe they were the first to commercialize it. The material was made of nylon. Over time, other vendors offered their versions. Instead of a “solid” nylon sleeve, a mesh material was used. It allows the “skin” itself to dry faster when the gear is hung out in the sun. Hennessy’s model was two pieces, each half a hammock hammock/tarp long. You could use them to wrangle the tarp, or the hammock. But even if they fit, you wouldn’t want to combine both the tarp and hammock in the same skin because the idea is the keep wet things (the tarp if it rains) separate from dry things (hammock).

Some people prefer one long skin instead of two shorter ones.

The advantage of the skin, over just stuffing a tarp in it’s own bag, is when it is windy, you can string up the ridgeline and then pull a little of the skin back at a time, guying the sides as you go. That is much easier that having an eleven or twelve foot by 10 foot tarp blowing all over the place. Once you endeavor to put up a 12 x 10 ft tarp in gusting wind, you’ll understand much more than any "reading about it" knowledge will give you.

The skin allows you to put the tarp partially up - just the ridgeline - and save the edge guylines for later. But for me, the tarp protect me and the hammock from more than just rain. So I usually put it up and guy it out completely. And I put it in porch mode (lift one side with poles so it it is like an awning) so I have good visibility and easy access.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-13-2021 at 17:29.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taraH View Post
    Hello there hangers!

Has anyone used the HG mesh tarp sleeve? I use a hummingbird silpoly tarp, used it once and did get caught in the rain so airing it out on subsequent nights resulted in me hanging in a lean to, to allow for it dry before continuing on with our trek.
    As a side note, you don't have to wait for things to dry out before continuing your hike. Shake it out as best you can and then stow it; it won't ruin it. And you'll certainly have to deploy it again, but a wet tarp works just fine.

On some backpacking trips you'll encounter a lot of rain and if you wait for everything to dry out you'll never make it home! If sunshine returns you can have a "drying party" and spread all your wet gear on rocks and bushes and it will dry surprisingly quickly.

It is a myth that you can keep everything clean and dry when backpacking.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I use shock cord loops or hair ties in leu of skins, simply to lessen the weight penalty. Deploying in the wind is not a problem. If it's still windy the next morning I will sort of flag fold the DCF hex from one end to the other. It seems to go back into the stuff sack either way. I've done it both ways and currently like this best. Either way if it's wet when I pack it up, it's that way at the end of the day.
    Signature suspended

I find that three or four hair bobbles do exactly the same job for less weight.

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    Good point! I will consider that for sure!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I love my HG mesh sleeve. It makes setup and takedown so much easier. Sure, the tarp won't dry completely in the mesh sleeve. But that's true whether you put it in a stuff sack, or any other type of sleeve. It will dry out BETTER in a mesh sleeve than pretty much anything else (unless you wear it as a cape while hiking, lol). Normally, I put my tarp in the stuff sack with the mesh sleeve. But if it rains overnight, I forego the stuff sack, and just fold up the tarp/sleeve and strap it to the top of my pack. The air circulates through the mesh sleeve while hiking, and the tarp does dry out decently well. Any remaining moisture quickly dissipates after setting up camp.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I just roll/fold/smoosh mine into a lump, wrap the ridgelines around it and cram it into the mesh pocket. Wet or dry, don't care. It'll dry out when I hang it up again. Or not, if it's still raining.

This (silpoly WB Thunder Fly) will fit back in the stuff sack no problem, but I don't. For my Super Fly, I do cram it back into the stuff sack just because it does compress somewhat and helps cut down the bulk. The SF in a mesh sleeve is chonky.

I still need to swap out the Dutch CRL for split ridgelines, but I'm lazy. Maybe this season, I'll get inspired. Probably not, and I'll keep on complaining about the prussiks.

2019-09-26_10-57-32_285 - Copy.jpg ozG65FlrRuqceHJsGc688g.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast