Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Oh definitely! It was all helpful, but I found @the_cameron_family's post and pictures particularly helpful: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post2062099 . I'm a visual learner I guess.

I can see that being able to put the tarp up first can be important in the rain, so a system that allows tree straps, tarp connector, then hammock seems kind of optimal, and an improvement on what I've been doing. I have all this cool evoloop stuff from Autumn Ultralight so I just need to figure out the way to attach it securely.
    Last edited by mazotster; 10-21-2021 at 13:39.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    I just came across this thread. I find this method very interesting and recently watched a video by Spiguyver which was similar.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xro1l4e9-hU&t=288s

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    mazotster - with some Amsteel, access to YouTube videos, and a bit of patience, you can learn to tie a button knot to make your own EVO loops. You can then add the EVO directly on the tree strap loop so it is permanent. The YouTube videos will show it better than I can explain with words. The EVO loop is not separate from the strap. The button knot is tied while the Amsteel is wrapped in the tree strap loop so there is no way for it to fall out. It’s secure.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-23-2021 at 16:23.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    mazotster - with some Amsteel, access to YouTube videos, and a bit of patience, you can learn to tie a button knot to make your own EVO loops. You can then add the EVO directly on the tree strap loop so it is permanent. The YouTube videos will show it better than I can explain with words. The EVO loop is not separate from the strap. The button knot is tied while the Amsteel is wrapped in the tree strap loop so there is not way for it to fall out. It’s secure.
    Evo loops can also be double girth-hitched (larksheaded) to a webbing loop and they won't come out. I've also done it the way you mention, having the Amsteel loop thru the webbing end loop before tying the button knot.

Another thing you can do is make a loop with the non-button end of the Evo loop and thread the webbing thru, then tie a simple overhand knot in the webbing to make a loop. It isn't as pretty as a sewn loop on the webbing but works just fine.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I've been experimenting with @the_cameron_family's ideas which seem great. I have 2" kevlar beckett loop straps from Fugal Innovations, which I really like. I want to go really simple, so the main thing to me seems to be to get the tree strap with a bit of tightness to control slip away from the tree, then attach the line for the tarp. Maybe a prusik of some sort, that the tarp line attaches too? Though I have bad experiences with those in cold and wet, where it just seems so hard to get them to adjust. A lark's headed continuous loop may be enough to pin the tarp until the hammock is hung and secure.

Quote Originally Posted by mazotster View Post
    I've been experimenting with @the_cameron_family's ideas which seem great. I have 2" kevlar beckett loop straps from Fugal Innovations, which I really like. I want to go really simple, so the main thing to me seems to be to get the tree strap with a bit of tightness to control slip away from the tree, then attach the line for the tarp. Maybe a prusik of some sort, that the tarp line attaches too? Though I have bad experiences with those in cold and wet, where it just seems so hard to get them to adjust. A lark's headed continuous loop may be enough to pin the tarp until the hammock is hung and secure.
    Hello Mazatster,
    You are correct, I just use a larks head to a loop to connect the tarp to the line. The way that I do it to create the tension as you mention is; once I have the strap through the loop, i fold it over itself, then put the larks head around it. This does 2 things. 1st, will hold the strap in place. 2nd it holds enough tension for you to set the tarp in place. This way you can hang the tarp, before setting up your hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567