Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    When you get a chance, I would like to see this.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    I find that to get the best height for the tarp it is nesecarry to run the tarp lines directly around the tree.

If they are connectet to the tree straps the height is not adjustable but more importantly its to low to stand under.

This situation only occurs if your hammock is not adjustable.
    For myself I have a hammock Ridgeline and adjustable hammock suspension.
    Thusly I can use the one set of straps. Put up my fly. Then set my hammock under it at any height I need.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I'm camping this weekend. So here is a photo of how my single strap works.
    I can walk under it and stand up.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You can walk under it because your trees are so far apart. Given the desired angle (30-ish) for a gathered end hammock, the connection point on the tree - and in your case, the tarp height - will go up as the tree distance is increased. Most hammocks, though 11 ft physical length, are around 8-9 ft long when hung. In that case, an 11 ft tarp is the "driver" for tree distance. If you give a little extra distance from the tree - say trees 12 ft apart for an 11 ft hammock ... Well, check the hammock hang calculator yourself: https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

It shows the tree (and in your case the tarp) connection point of 5.4 ft. Even height-challenged cougarmeat would have to duck under that.

I initially was enamored with the simplicity of tarp-to-hammock suspension schemes. But for me, there is just more flexibility (and sometimes "requirement") to have the tarp independent.

AND - one of the features of the independent tarp is the ability, in the rain, to packing everything up, staying dry, under the tarp, and packing the wet tarp last. Just Say'n
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Also, most folks, much of the time, will pitch the fly much lower, i.e. closer to the hammock's SRL for better protection from the elements. Typically, when the fly is secured to the trees, its ridgeline is secured below the hammock suspension (which is why some folks incorporate a V in it to minimize contact of suspension and fly ridgeline.)

You can get around the "hang angle" by using a hammock Ridgeline. Then the shortest distance possible is the length of the tarp.

And the way I did it here. It pinches the strap with the tarp. So I can take down everything else first.

I used to carry two sets of straps. I just found it bulky more than anything. That's what got me o to this set-up.

I think what makes mine work is that there are really two connections. On the strap where it connects - tarp connection. Second is the hammock which is connected to the strap via marlin spike. Then I can make my hammock lines as tight as needed. Since I have the Ridgeline. And I just adjust the hammock until it is correct under the tarp.

If you look at my earlier pics. I am usi g a smaller tarp. With it lower and closer to the hammock. It works just the same.

I guess that is just the beauty of hammock camping. There is no. "Right" way to do it. As many options as you can think of. And everyone can do it as they seem comfortable.

cougarmeat: the height of the straps on the tree also depends on the sit height you desire/tolerate, for very closely spaced trees (which, imho, are a corner case, which i tend to avoid anyway), at 12ft as you suggest for instance, a sit height of 30in will bring the straps to 6ft. 30in might not be ideal, but it's a reasonable compromise for a "special case". and besides, the fact you have the option to attach the tarp ridgeline to the treestraps does not mean you must, you can always go around the tree on the rare occasion where the trees are close together (but i never found it necessary so far)

what me and the_cameron promote and use does not make the tarp any less independent, on the contrary. and we both always set up the tarp first, and take it down last, this ability is built in. this is not an integrated setup, it is fully modular.

tominMN: with this setup, you just attach the tarp ridgeline to the strap, and then you can bring the tarp as low as you want, anywhere down to hammock ridgeline. there's no need to worry about interference in this case, as the ridgeline and hammock suspension only meet where they attach (treestrap) and they diverge from there, so no V is necessary. the V solves a problem which, imho, should not be there in the first place.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast