Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Posted somewhere around here, or in a YouTube video, there was some lore that with a gathered end hammock the UQ should have more attention. In a Bridge Hammock the TQ is more significant. But in either case, you can’t ignore the other. There are other factors - like the use of a under quilt protector or how low you guy your tent. I try to use quilts that are rated for at least 10 degrees colder than the expected temperature - because by using them outside, I’ve found that gives me the “guaranteed warmth” I want.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Bottom insulation

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While you need both in most cases; as others have said, the UQ is more important.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You could think of it like this … the heat robbing air currents are going to flow right under your hammock which is only a thin layer of nylon next to your skin. But the top of you is nestled inside the hammock somewhat. So the hammock sides themselves present a “wind block”. If I had had to choose between a 40° TQ with 20° UQ, or 20° with 40° UQ, I’d go with the 20° UQ set. If necessary, it’s easy to add more warmth on top.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-12-2021 at 18:49.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    I have a 20* set from HG for TQ and UQ but want to save a bit on size in my pack. I'm debating if I should make the jump to the 30* top quilt, or the 40* topquilt. I am so undecided!

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    You could think of it like this … the heat robbing convection air currents are going to flow right under your hammock which is only a thin layer of nylon next to your skin. But the top of you is nestled inside the hammock somewhat. So the hammock sides themselves present a “wind block”. If I had had to choose between a 40° TQ with 20° UQ, or 20° with 40° UQ, I’d go with the 20° UQ set. If necessary, it’s easy to add more warmth on top.
    That would be wind, not convection...

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I’ll throw another item to consider here. I have the SLD UQ which is a quilt and protector in one which I love. It ended my search for the perfect UQ. I generally just use the 40 and find it comfy on just about anything that I camp in. The wind blockage and synthetic insulation work great here in the PNW. IF it’s going to be particularly close to 40 I’ll throw my 40 degree burrow in to put on top of my Trailwinder. The TW clocks in at about 16oz which isn’t bad considering it both blocks wind, moisture, and insulates.

This combo has worked great for me. Your mileage may vary, etc. Some folks prefer down all around, but I like synthetic on the bottom and down on the top, with an extra layer of down on the bottom when necessary.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    One night at a group hang, a friend of mine was so proud that he had gotten himself a 0* UQ. He couldn't wait to try it.

About four in the morning I woke up to take a leak, and I saw my friend shivering uncontrollably by the campfire. The temps were in the low teens. I asked him why he was shivering - didn't seem possible with a 0* UQ. He said, "I didn't bring a top quilt - I thought all I needed was the underquilt." No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't wrap that UQ around him to keep warm! All he had for top insulation was a crappy synthetic Carhartt jacket. You would think he learned his lesson, but he didn't. He just stopped winter camping based on one incredibly stupid experience.

I personally don't understand people who try to skimp on insulation - like a 40* TQ with a 20* UQ. I always match TQ & UQ with the same temp rating. To me, clothing is not insulation - everything underneath is compressed and basically useless.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    IMO if your back is not warm there is nothing you can do to get warm. There are lots of tricks to supplement your top insulation. Like the hot water bottle trick is one of the best.
    If you have spare cloths get them out of the stuff sack. Pitch your tarp lower to reduce drafts. Wear tomorrow's dry socks. Eat some snacks.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I personally don't understand people who try to skimp on insulation - like a 40* TQ with a 20* UQ. I always match TQ & UQ with the same temp rating. To me, clothing is not insulation - everything underneath is compressed and basically useless.

I agree on the UQ rating... it should at least match or exceed expected ambient temperatures.

However, for more than 30 years I have been using down parka and down pants to supplement a warmer-rated TQ and this works for me. I've used it down to -33°F in the Adirondacks. It is a great way to keep total pack weight down in the winter, and other seasons for that matter.

I'm sure it isn't for everyone, but if somebody is seriously trying to optimize gear for maximum multi-use efficiency it might be worth trying.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12