Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles

DH Sparrow: Symmetrical or Asymmetrial?

Although I've been packing and camping for decades, I'm new to the hammock game.
    I've been talking to Randy about a new Sparrow.
    I'm thinking that I can probably go with asymmetrical and limit myself to a right lay (however, not having tried it, I have no idea)...but if I go with the symmetrical, I can do whatever I want.
    How much of a difference would I notice between the two?
    Are they both the same hammock body with a different bugnet/Cover?
    So if I got the asym, I could in the future, get a symmetrical bugnet and be in a "symmetrical" hammock?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    I'm really looking forward to this.
    I'm already taking out a home equity load to pay for it all.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Depends. If you're an active sleeper, I'd go with the symmetrical.

I started with standard lay DW Half Zip, and it can't be reversed (newer model is symmetrical). Was ok, but thought maybe I might like the reverse lay, so I picked up a WB Eldorado and flipped the bugnet. Found that I still would try to move to the other lay direction.

So, I got a DW Chameleon with the symmetrical bugnet and now I can flip flop all night. I have the option of picking up an asym bugnet, but I'm pretty sure I'll still be a flopper. I dunno about DH hammocks, but if the bugnet is removable you should be able to flip and change the lay direction...definitely ask Randy.

The big difference is that there is a lot more floppiness of the hammock and the symmetrical bugnet. I end up using the hammock body tie outs to keep the net off my face. I never used them in the DW Half Zip and I assume I wouldn't in the Chameleon if I was using the asym bugnet.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Depends. If you're an active sleeper, I'd go with the symmetrical.

I started with standard lay DW Half Zip, and it can't be reversed (newer model is symmetrical). Was ok, but thought maybe I might like the reverse lay, so I picked up a WB Eldorado and flipped the bugnet. Found that I still would try to move to the other lay direction.

So, I got a DW Chameleon with the symmetrical bugnet and now I can flip flop all night. I have the option of picking up an asym bugnet, but I'm pretty sure I'll still be a flopper. I dunno about DH hammocks, but if the bugnet is removable you should be able to flip and change the lay direction...definitely ask Randy.

The big difference is that there is a lot more floppiness of the hammock and the symmetrical bugnet. I end up using the hammock body tie outs to keep the net off my face. I never used them in the DW Half Zip and I assume I wouldn't in the Chameleon if I was using the asym bugnet.
    Thank you.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I have two Dream Hammocks- a Darien (asym) and a Raven (symmetrical). Personally, I don't really notice much a difference in terms of comfort. That said, the visibility on your head-side is better on the asym, but there is a higher wall of fabric on the non-head side. Asym hammocks tend to be slightly lighter- due to less bug netting required.

My advice would be to start with a symmetrical hammock until you determine your lay preference. Then you can switch to an asym hammock, if you feel the need. IMO, the fabric type, fabric weight, and hammock width have a much greater impact on comfort than sym vs asym.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I've had several asym hammocks including a DH Raven and a WBBB XLC. I've had several sym hammocks including a Chameleon, a SLD Trail Lair, and a DH Sparrow. (This doesn't include any of the 90 degree hammocks, my favorites) Personally, I won't own another asym. I am ambidextrous enough that I simply can't imagine having my lay options limited by an asym anymore. HYOH.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I’ve got both and always choose a symmetrical because I enjoy sitting and reading in the hammock and prefer more view options. I can sit any of the 4 orientations depending on the situation versus, well one really due to the limited visibility in the back wal side.

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    I'm very curious about this topic. I have always had asymmetrical hammocks and no matter if I sleep in a hammock, a tent or a mattress at home I find that I always sleep in the same orientation. I sleep with my head left and feet right. I can't even sleep on the other side of a bed and get any rest, so that is not the point of contention for me, and I was thinking of trying a symmetrical hammock next, but in looking at the photos of them, it seemed that the view could be better but I wonder how well an underquilt does with a symmetrical? In particular, would an symmetrical work as well with my soon to arrive wookie? In life there are normally trade offs. The view looks like it would be a large plus on symmetricals - what though are the negatives I wonder?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    I'm very curious about this topic. I have always had asymmetrical hammocks and no matter if I sleep in a hammock, a tent or a mattress at home I find that I always sleep in the same orientation. I sleep with my head left and feet right. I can't even sleep on the other side of a bed and get any rest, so that is not the point of contention for me, and I was thinking of trying a symmetrical hammock next, but in looking at the photos of them, it seemed that the view could be better but I wonder how well an underquilt does with a symmetrical? In particular, would an symmetrical work as well with my soon to arrive wookie? In life there are normally trade offs. The view looks like it would be a large plus on symmetricals - what though are the negatives I wonder?
    With a WB Wooki? I assume it would work just fine, so long as you stay put on top of it.

One thing the asym hammock (technically, bug net) does is to force you into that one position. With the symmetrical, I'm doing all sorts of gymnastics when I sleep.

Negatives, I've found that I have an easier time eliminating gaps on the foot end draft collar with the HG Phoenix (3/4 length) vs. the HG Incubator when I switch back and forth from head left or right. You shouldn't have this issue with a Wooki. Also, there's more material so it gets kinda floppy on your face. On the DW Chameleon, I find I have to use the tie outs on both sides which I normally didn't with my DW Half Zip. Plus, the WB method with the tie outs on the net does a really good job keeping the net off your face.

As far as a view, the symmetrical does allow you to see over the inside shoulder side. If you wanna try it out, just unzip and stow the bug net on your WB hammock...the body is symmetrical, the bug net gives it the asym shape and forms the footbox.

Hammock
    HG Circadian
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    HGs (stacked!)
    Suspension
    strap/biner/knot
    Even though I prefer foot left, body right... I've realized I strongly prefer to adjust my position based on the location and goals for my trip. Some days I want the sun to hit my face upon sunrise to get an early start. Some nights I want to watch the sunset over a lake. Some I want to face a particular direction of the starry sky. A symmetrical hang gives you options.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Your wooki is an asymmetrical UQ. You won't be able to switch lays. You switch to the other side and you will lay across the UQ not with it.
    I've played with both hammocks for personal use and find that unless you go with a wider fabric the netting for a symmetrical will take up more of the hammock fabric. Hard to explain other than saying where the pull outs are, it takes in more of the available space you can take up. So it will actually lift the sides higher. Now if you go with a wide fabric you can ignore this.
    Still makes the hammock a bit heavier with the fabric needed.
    The other thing is your UQ (non asymmetrical) is set up to really take advantage of a certain lay. If you switch mid way through the night your UQ might not seal up as well since it was set for the other lay. Might not be an issue is nice temps but if you are pushing the temperature range of your UQ then you might notice this more.
    One other point which is directed to more new users. You can lay on either side (of your body) in either lay. When I am sleeping I don't care if there is a bit more fabric facing me one direction or not (in an asymm). I'm asleep. I'm comfortable regardless.

• + New Posts