Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

Touch Me Not

I went for a short solo overnight trip in the Catskills this past Labor day. This trip I decided to hike on a much less traveled trail in the Delaware Wild Forest and Dry Brook Ridge wild forest sections of the Western Catskills, NY. I hiked a section of the Finger Lakes trail named Touch Me Not trail. Beginning at the Beech Hill road trail head, the Touch Me Not trail runs approximately 8 miles to Alder Lake, which then loops around Alder Lake for another mile or so. Along the way the trail also passes the beautiful Big Pond. Both Alder Lake and Big pond are easily accessible by vehicle and both have primitive camp sites in the surrounding areas.. meaning they are fairly hi used and usually NOT where I would prefer to go or camp, especially labor day weekend. However, I decided to begin on Labor day and spend a night, with hopes the crowds would be going home as I hiked in. Also, believe it or not, the Touch Me Not trail is one of the less trafficked trails in Catskills.. only 1 view point ( Cabot Mt.) and no peaks above the much coveted 3500 ft. Cabot Mt, being the highest peak climbed at about 2970 does offer a very nice view of Little Pond. It also was definitely a buster climbing up and down BOTH ways, lol for sure. Other then that, the Touch Me Not trail was fairly easy hiking. A few wet and mushy muddy sections, a few sections that were over grown, but overall a beautiful trail to hike and avoid the crowds and feel some legit solitude. The video explains it all, my mishaps, my disappointments, my decisions, and my adventure.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Thanks for bringing us along DB. I’m amazed at how efficient you kit and Kumo seem to be. Parts of that trail look like game trails down this way - lots of overgrowth and infrequent foot traffic.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Thank you Twistytee. I only bring what I need and its not much. I love the simplicity of walking all day, unpacking my pack to set up my sleeping arrangement.. Be it my hammock, my bivy, my tarp or bug net.. And having nothing left except my food. It makes my camping time so stress free.. It also makes waking in the morning and packing up simple, brainless and quick. No stuff sacks to look for no gadgets to misplace.. On this trip I woke up at about 6:30 am, got out of my tent at 6:45 and was completely packed and ready to walk at 7:15 am. I then stopped at that last viewpoint after about 1.5 hours hiking and enjoyed my breakfast. One other mishap that I failed to mention in video, I forgot my ice coffee for the morning!! That really bothered me, but obviously I was just fine without it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Great hike... I'm envious because last year I considered doing a trip over there (including Mary Smith trail... an end-to-end) that got canceled when my shuttle companions couldn't make it.

Nice having a well-honed UL kit that makes things simpler and easier... especially nasty little climbs!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Thanks Bob. Also, thanks for the advice about the Pepper steak with rice and tomatoes. I ordered 4 packs.. tried the one, it was really pretty good. Not home made good, lol, but definitely trail worthy delicious. I ordered 6 more for my stock pile of food. It worked just fine with my 400 ml cup. A little shy of the required amount of water, but it was just perfect for my liking!!! The calories were low.. 2 servings at 380 calories, but paired with a Backpackers pantry Cream Burle at 610 calories.. and I had a satisfying dinner and dessert that tasted outstanding and only needed minimal water to make!!!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Oooohhh... I've gotta try the creme brulee!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    DB - is there a big weight volume/difference between your hammock kit and the SMD solo? And I know it’s not UL but do you ever bring lw sandals to deal with wet feet at camp after hitting trails like that?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Slight weight difference. My hammock, tarp, top quilt, under quilt and straps do weight slightly more then my SMD Gatewood Cape and Serenity innernet and sleeping pad. The weight difference is not really a concern to me.. it is minimal. Pack space and bulk are a huge difference.. the SMD and sleep pad take up no space at all compared to hammock, tarp and both quilts. For me, I also like the simplicity of the SMD and the options. It goes both ways. I love my hammock and get the best nights sleep when using it. I just like to switch up my options whenever I feel like. No never brought sandels. In warm weather I dont mind wet feet.. and mesh trail runners usually dry fairly quickly. I do swap out for dry socks. Maybe if I planned on spending a lot of time camping I would bring sandels or crocs or something else... again, its not a weight thing.. its more of a clutter thing for me..I want to have as little as possible to worry about, while still being comfortable.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Bob.. the Creme Brulee is great!! I enjoy my sweets and that definitely hit the spot!!

• + New Posts