Thread: New guy from MN

New guy from MN

Hi all, new guy from MN here, just looking to improve my hang.

Just came back from a multiple day trip to *almost* the Boundary Waters (had to change plans and went to a campground in the Supeior National Forest), and have decided that I can make a hammock work for me. I was unsure before when I had a cheap Walmart hammock which was too short for me.

For this latest trip, I had a pinnacle ridge 180 hammock with separate bug net, and while still relatively inexpensive, this offered a much better experience for me.

So, now I'm looking to up the game a bit with a true camping hammock.

I think I have it narrowed down to 2, though in either case there are some questions.

The 2 hammocks in question are the Dream Hammock Sparrow 12 foot hammock and the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC.

I'm 6 foot 6 and 290, so I'm leaning towards the Sparrow right now, double layer 2.2 oz Hex70. I would go double layer heavyweight on the warbonnet as well.

One of the issues I had with the cheap hammock is it was way too short, and squeezed my shoulders, so I question the shorter warbonnet, but the foot box touted by warbonnet may make this moot.

Then, regardless of the hammock itself, I'm pretty sure I want to go with whoopee slings for suspension.

Is the overcover worth it for late/early season camping? I am also eyeballing the hammock hot tent (either OneTigris or Pomoly, though I think I'm leaning Pomoly), which may do away with any need for the overcover.

Any insights are appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome to HF! Your research is leading you to some solid choices, but at some point you'll have to throw darts at pictures and let the dart choose. In the meantime, I ended up with Warbonnet - not just for a well-made hammock, but also because Warbonnet surrounds their hammocks with a system (underquilts, top quilts, tarps, etc.). I have no experience with Dream Hammock products so others may chime in with observations - so take my blatherings with a grain of salt. I don't have a hot tent for sleeping, but I did buy a canvas sock from Molly Mac Gear as an upgrade over Warbonnet's top cover when it gets extra cold.

I have a continuum of options for a variety of weather conditions:

Warm weather with no bugs = WBBB XLC hammock with no coverings
    Warm weather with bugs = WBBB XLC with bug net
    Cool weather = WBBB XLC with bug net
    Cooler yet weather = WBBB XLC with top cover
    Extra cold weather = WBBB XLC with canvas sock
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing
    Sleeping of the ground is very nice. I never really thought of hanging as a camping sleep systems but now I think it is one of the most comfortable ways to camp. I have a bad hip and hammock sleep really help me get up and go the next day with little pain.

From what I have heard, either of the hammocks you are thinking about will do you well. I know there are extra pockets on one and other small things like that, but know that you no matter the pick, you will get a good system. I think you can get both those hammocks in wide as well to help make the bear hug feeling go away.

Winter is coming so you should think about a way to keep yourself warm as well. There are a ton of videos on YouTube about the many ways to keep warm as you hang. I will be trying a USGI poncho liner modified as and under quilt, a sleeping pad, and then a top quilt I got on the cheap from a place called OneWind. The top quilt seems to be of good quality and I am interested in trying something other than a USGI mummy bag. Hot Fly hammocking would be could to do but I think those tarps and all is more weight than I want to ruck with. I have only seen a few videos even addressing hot hammocking.

I have only been on this forum for a few weeks. The people here are nice and helpful. There is also a lot of good how to's and good tips on gear. Good to see you here and maybe we will see each other on the trails randomly!

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Welcome to the forum! I'm over in Milwaukee. What part of MN are you in?
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

I'm in the North Metro area (Arden Hills). Most of my camping has been out at Lake Maria (near Monticello).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hello from the St. Croix valley. At your height, there's a strong argument for a 12 footer. DH also offers a whole lot of options in terms of customizing. I've purchased hammocks from both vendors you named. The Sparrow didn't exist when I ordered a Dangerbird. My WB is an earlier BB XLC. Both are great. Thinking strongly about upgrading the XLC to the latest version. I'm about 5'-11" and 11' hammock are plenty long enough for me. Maybe some tall folks can chime in about the suitability of the 11' XLC for you. If 11 footers ARE an option, Dutch and SLD could be contenders as well.

I know what you mean by "almost" BWCAW. It's been a frustrating situation lately.

• + New Posts