TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Kelty makes large tarps
    14x14 and 16x16 if I remember
    Good coverage, plenty of tie out loops on edges and in middle of sides
    Too big for backpacking but
    Perfect for car camping

my preference so far is to use two "reasonable" tarps instead, in a configuration which allows for two hammocks to be sheltered in "one volume".

this approach requires a bit of experimenting and developing one's tarp-foo, but it has a few advantages (aside from the fun of playing with tarps in creative ways, which is the main point, now, isn't it :P)

- you can have two "reasonable" backpacking tarps, which can be used individually by each hammocker, either on solo trips, or when the local layout doesn't allow for hanging so close, or there are other reasons to not do the "two hammock cuddle" thing. it also means you can split ways mid trip as needed, without prior planning, etc.
    - you get a much more versatile setup i would say, which is more adaptable to various terrain configurations, weather conditions, and so on
    - it allows for splitting the load, and also having both campers fully independent
    - it provides some redundancy, in case of need

yeah, i know, i skilfully made sure to very precisely not answer the original question. but perhaps it helps.

btw, this might also be doable with some of the larger winter tarps discussed here, or a larger flat tarp, plus a poncho/solo tarp (but i have yet to play with that kind of setup, for now it's only some 3d models floating around in my head). you do lose some flexibility and some advantages like redundancy and so on, but it can mean not having to buy a special purpose tarp, and instead carrying a poncho which is a useful piece of gear anyway.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    What about that DutchWare double? Problem with wide tarps - at least around here - is it is hard enough to find some good trees that don’t have interference with other trees/bushes off the sides. It’s use around here would be at a site that has an “official” picnic table. There is usually enough clearance around that and that double would create a dry cooking/eating area.

I’m liking the WB Minifly more and more. But if I knew storm rain had a high potential, I’d bring a larger trap. I’ve never use a pole to separate the two side-by-side hammocks. The diameter of the tree has been enough. Pulled out wide, most tarps will cover them. But guyed down close … that would be a challenge.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Nanok’s suggestion is what we have adapted.

Always take 2 tarps even if you plan on trying to use one. That way, it’s fairly easy to quickly throw the second one up and perhaps readjust the first to stay dry.

It takes a little practice to overlap them effectively so that one doesn’t flood the other, but it’s doable. One strategy is to double up the second one and use it lean to style with the first. This makes it easy to setup quickly if the weather is changing.

One thing I love about hammocking and tarps is that your options are only limited by your imagination and experimentation.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    how about something like a Grizz beak? That is what we are working on. Putting at each end. Would be like the vestibule on a tent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12