DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Winter DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ 40/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle

Quilt Shopping is Maddening... Top Quilt Width for hang

Well I buried my question a the bottom of all this, so for the TLDR crowd... Is 60" too wide for a top quilt in a hammock? It's a DW Chameleon Wide Hammock, although I don't think that makes a difference.

Re sizing, I guess this is old news, but shopping for/comparing quilts is quite the exercise these days. It seems every manf has different idea regarding sizing. I have been looking for 20/20 or maybe a 20/0 setup, and due to my previous 40/40 UGQ set, was just looking at a long/wide by default (I'm 6ft and on the heavier side - looking at 60" since I will use both hanging and on ground.) Prices and fill weights were all over the place and I was very confused, until I took a closer look at sizing.

20* models...
    HG Prem Long Wide is 79" / 55" with an 850 Fill Weight of 16.12oz - Basic Cost $303
    UGQ Long Wide is 78" / 60" with an 850 Fill Weight of 17.84oz. - Basic Cost $349
    EE Long Wide is 84" / 58" with an 850 Fill Weight of 18.22oz. - Basic Cost $355

(Basic Cost while not exact meaning std options, ie no overfill, no exotic fabric choice, etc for comparison purposes) Fill weigh increases slightly for each manf as the size increases, which makes sense. So when searching for a Long/Wide Quilt, if you are not paying attention you can get sideways quick not paying attention to the details

Normalizing for size (as best as possible, 55" was the easiest since that is as wide as HG goes), we wind up with:

HG stays the same (79/55"), Fill 16.12 - cost $303
    UGQ moves to Long/Reg (78/55"), Fill drops to 15.44oz, cost drops to $304
    EE moves to Reg/Reg (78/54"), Fill drops to 16.08, cost drops to $320

Which brings both fill weight and cost closer when comparing apples to apples (at least as best as possible). The variable not known is how each manf measures, ie before fill or after fill.

So wanting a 60" wide it means the HG is pretty much out, leaving...

UGQ Long/Wide as originally viewed at 78/60 - 17.84oz fill
    EE in Reg/Wide at 78/58 - 16.93oz fill

Since EE isn't making BQ's right now, I was already planning on UGQ of these two, but was interested in the HG Premium line as well. But with 55" being the max width I guess that rules out HG.

I'd love to have a hang only 20/20 set, but really can' justify the cost, even though I do worry 60" wide in a hammock will be to much quilt to deal with?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    60 seems good to me. What if any, is widest top quilt you have used on overnight hang?

Good luck

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Winter DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ 40/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    I wanted to mention in my post above, but it was getting overly long - I had a EE XWide at 65" for a Ground Quilt, and it just swallowed me. Way to wide, even on the ground. I currently have an EE Wide at 58", which seems about right for ground use, which is why I was thinking about the 60" UGQ (or another 58" EE). I was keen to try the HG Premium, but at 55" I just worry that is not enough on the ground, although it would be fine for hanging.

Maybe I just need to concentrate on hanging, and not worry about the ground. I have a marmot 25* bag I could use for cold weather ground use now that I think about it. I want to hang as much as possible, with ground camping only when I cannot hang for whatever reason.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If 60" works for you on the ground it'll definitely work in a hammock.

Something to think about for colder rated quilts, and hence winter, is whether you might use clothing to augment your quilt in the winter. For instance, in the winter it is my common practice to use clothing layers, even down parka and down pants, to supplement my 20deg EE quilt down to about -10°F. So while I normally use a 'regular' width quilt for most temperatures I use a wide TQ for that specific reason with the 20deg quilt.

If you're primarily a backpacker, where weight and volume are a concern, using 10D or 7D (vs 15 or 20D) for the shell material will yield much lighter and more compact quilts.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Winter DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ 40/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If 60" works for you on the ground it'll definitely work in a hammock.

Something to think about for colder rated quilts, and hence winter, is whether you might use clothing to augment your quilt in the winter. For instance, in the winter it is my common practice to use clothing layers, even down parka and down pants, to supplement my 20deg EE quilt down to about -10°F. So while I normally use a 'regular' width quilt for most temperatures I use a wide TQ for that specific reason with the 20deg quilt.

If you're primarily a backpacker, where weight and volume are a concern, using 10D or 7D (vs 15 or 20D) for the shell material will yield much lighter and more compact quilts.
    I hadn't thought about layering, good points. See us FL folks know diddly about cold weather lol.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    My 20 degree top quilt is 56” and has removable pad straps for going to ground. I know many get away with 50” in a hammock but I too like a bit of extra width to tuck under me. I’m not as tall as you but I don’t think you would find a 55” HG premium lacking in coverage.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a peek at some TQs........
    I think I show measures on some.
    A bit of width gives you some you can tuck up under yourself. Nice when needed.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Layering clothing to augment topquilt is great

So long as you don’t overheat and bust a sweat, then clothing next to your skin will be wet and you gonna know what cold is...
    And if no dry clothes to change in morning...
    It’s gonna be mighty cold in morning.

Sometimes I lay a couple sweatshirts and or a coat on top of me and under topquilt. While there is no guarantee that I will push them off of me—if2hot, even in my sleep... so far it has worked for me

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Winter DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ 40/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    Thanks all, I'll watch the vids above - I think I have watched them in the past but will do a refresher .

My main issue is width, with a 54" chest and also wanting to use on the ground, it limits my options to the wider choices. IF I committed to a hang only TQ I think the HG 55" width would work out fine, but since all the smaller manf's have 15 or 20% restock fees one hates to guess on an order.

I have a 40* 58" (true measurement, ie after fill) EE that works fine on the ground, at least for warm weather. For colder weather on the ground, a few more inches in width would be welcome. An EE 65" 20* I tried was way too large on the ground. It's amazing the difference only a few inches makes lol.

Not sure if HG measurement are pre fill or after fill? if Pre Fill the 55" would narrow up a few inches which really would not work on the ground (for me), for instance.

EDIT - Appears HG measurements are post fill (ie, they state "All measurements taken after product is finished").
    I haven't been able to find how UGQ does it from their website, but based on a few UL reddit comments it appears UGQ measures pre-fill - ie one was ordered as a 84" x 55" and it actually measured 78" x 50". Which if accurate would mean a 60" UGQ and the 55" HG are probably pretty close in size.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 09-06-2021 at 03:22.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Winter DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ 40/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    Another measurement example - a UGQ 20* XWIDE/XLONG 950 Fill zipper footbox version (with 1oz overstuff footbox) spec'd at 84" long, 65" wide actually measures 75" long 55" wide opened up flat. So "finished" measurements basically 9"/10" shorter on each measurement.

Not apples to apples (less down fill), but my 40* UGQ 850 wide (60" spec) measures 58" across when laid out.

Confusing.... I'm going to reach out to Paul, something doesn't make sense here...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast