Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Yes, there is a lot that you can think about when it comes a hammock setup. I will be make it out to the woods this week and take some pics of my set up. I have been spending a good amount of time hanging in the woods as of late, with a good bit of hiking. I will be in NC this weekend for 3 days at a park in the north east called Merchants Millpond SP. It should be fun and I am exited about trying my new hammock. I have found with the 6 or so nights that I feel better in the morning, though I did have one back night of hanging. But I am confident that the new set will be better due to it being a foot longer. The new set up is a Dutch HW Nettles wide that come stock at 11 foot with a URC ridgeline, button knot continuous loops, and a whoopie sling. From what I read that should help my legs feel even better. I'm also making a under quilt out of a poncho liner. My camping gear is a wired mix between mil spec and civilian with a touch of ultra light, but it works and I can afforded(ish) it. There is a ton of good threads to check out on here to help find what you might like the most. I also found that places the Dutch HW and Hammock Gear are good at responding to question about what will work for you and what want from the hammock. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

What is your ground set up? I use a 1.5 person ground sheet and my DD 3Mx3M tarp set up in the teepee configuration for now and I like it as long as I have a sleep pad.
    For the past year or so my Summer setup consists of the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Ultamid 2, w/ Insert. Early fall I'll just bring the Ultamid, and leave the insert home. Late fall, and Winter I use a Seek Outside Cimarron w/ a stove jack, and a Seek Outside U-turn stove. Most of the year I'm sleeping on a slightly Insulated air pad, and the Winter months I use a Thermarest self inflating pad.

I do alot of quick overnighters. Where I may only spend 12-15 hours in the woods, but try to cover alot of miles. I'd love a hammock for these types of trips. Something I can setup quick, take a quick 4-6hr snooze, and then take down just as quick. I feel like a hammock setup would be perfect for this.

I got a family reunion to attend all next week, but im hoping to be back in the woods after that. And hopefully start putting together a kit bout that time.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing
    I have been looking at Hyperlite MG packs, I'm a little over 6 pound rucks. Really nice gear, but will have to go on the wish list for used gear. I am excited to try some cold weather hangings so I can get away for the cold, hard ground and be wrapped in warmth, or so the dream goes.

As for a quick set up, I feel that hammocks can do the trick, more so when you do not have to deploy a tarp. I think the only thing faster is just to lay on the ground like some cave man, but hammocks are easy to set up and give you a good napping place. I opted for a none removable bug net on my first hammock and it worked fine, but found that sometimes you just don't want or need it.

There are a good amount of options for going light with a hammock in the late spring all the way to early fall(may differ on the elevation). After that it seems like most people start taking quilts and start to get a bit bulky and weighty. I also found that Amsteel type cordage can help save you a ton of weight and do it on the cheap. I love my Dutch HW bling but you can go broke playing with all his insects. It's almost like chasing the tail of the dragon with his gear.

Have fun at the reunion and take care!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12