Dutchware Double Whoopie Hooks water break failed

Can anyone help me figure out what I did wrong? Water rushed down my Whoopie slings right to my continuous loop hammock last night. Luckily I had a couple Dutch biners which seemed to do the trick before it got bad. I also added a rope drip line just to be safe. Was it me or are the Whoopie hooks just a poor water break? Kind of upsetting that I paid so much for the slings with the intention of them also keeping me dry as it states on the website.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As they are fairly small and light and strong I would say that their first job is to hold up your hammock. Water break....dutch biner is better for sure. More mass.
    Shug

whoopie/Dutch biner stopping rain by Sean Emery, on Flickr

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

hmm, they are tiny, so the distance for water to bridge from whoopie to continuous loop might be too small in really heavy rain. i'm no dutch expert though mind you (i unfortunately couldn't justify importing any such jewlery yet)

having said that, was the beak of the hook facing up or down? if facing down, i can imagine how water might more easily bridge the gap and soak the continuous loops. if they were sideways, that looks like it would be even worse. hard to ensure the orientation when loaded, but with such tiny pieces i'm afraid it would matter quite a bit (sounds like a fun garden experiment to prove or disprove this theory, btw)

i don't have enough experience with heavy rain hammock camping (sadly), but from what i understand, i'd always use small drip lines in any case. i would not blame the whoopie hooks for not doing a better job, size does matter for some purposes, in this case the gap is not much bigger than some water droplets are expected to be under "normal conditions", so one must expect they would need some help in heavy rain, but on all other occasions, you have a compact and impossibly "cute" setup.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I contribute this:

Bottom line: hardware doesn't stop the water reliably. I use a piece of string.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Bottom line: hardware doesn't stop the water reliably. I use a piece of string.
    I agree. I use whoopie hooks (one is a double) but have awakened enough times to a wet CL or hammock end even in moderate rain to always use a drip line. I cut strips from a cheap viscose camp towel and larkshead them where needed. 4 inches is plenty and are super- light and super- absorbent. I don't think they would register on my scale.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Whoopie with the Dutch Biner; easy and never a gamble; I just do what works on everything over and over. Can't tell you what went wrong with your system.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    I agree. I use whoopie hooks (one is a double) but have awakened enough times to a wet CL or hammock end even in moderate rain to always use a drip line. I cut strips from a cheap viscose camp towel and larkshead them where needed. 4 inches is plenty and are super- light and super- absorbent. I don't think they would register on my scale.
    I double agree. I use my excess tree straps bundled up at the buckle, and an old shoelace.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD &amp; Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; webbing
    I concur with the other comments. I can’t seem to control the orientation of any hardware on my whoopies so I always use a couple of pieces of cotton string as insurance. Usually the Dutch biners do the job but on occasion I’ll notice the strings will get wet and they clearly did their job!
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think the concept that hardware can stop moisture from getting to you hammock is centered around stopping the capillary action of a wet rope or strap from wicking it there rather than stopping a stream of water running down the line.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts