Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing

Know I Would be Hanged One of These Days

Hello,

I am Redrum, or just Red if you don't like the run(mandatory corniest out of the way). I have a just gotten into hammock within last few months. I have done all kinds of camping, from homeless camping, forced ruck marches, bush crafting, and some glam camping. I have gotten into backpack camping now and have been having a lot of fun till it comes time to hit the sack. Well, I never thought that a hanging would be so good for my sleep, but I was hooked after that first night.

I got one of those cheap hammock sets from Bezos.com that came with the straps, tarp, and hammock. The hammock is ok, but that tarp, ha, that tarp was very water permeable on the seam. Ask me how I know. Better yet I will tell you! It's in the mid 90's at Prince William County NP and the air is heavy with humidity and the weatherman said it would not rain but for an hour around sundown. I have everything set up with the tarp in a porch mood, but as I am eating I feel the front kick in. I finished up din din and prepped the tarp for some light, one hour, rain. Then I made a raft out of some thick sticks and set my pack with the cover on top of the raft, under the tarp incase I had to bail( it's was only a 2 mile hike to the car at the trailhead). I then watch a show I downloaded as I lay conformably in my cheap hammock as the rain comes down lightly. This goes on for a hour or so, then, out of no where, the rain picks up heavily. It was hitting the tarp so hard my mind was mainly focused on the sound and wondering if the cheap tarp would hold. The tarp did not do to well with keeping water out. It was a blessing that the water did sheet and roll down the inside of the tarp, like what you would expect to see on the side facing the rain, but this was on the inside running down and dripping off. Nothing got wet from that, but the hammock did get wet from the tarp only being as big as the hammock, I thought it was short looking when I set it up the first time. I did have some drip line, it didn't matter. The only thing that kept me dry was the foam mat I was laying on. It came down hard all night long with lots of pretty lightning. The only part I really did not like was that it was still high 80s for the temp.

So from my first trip I found out a good deal about hammock and setting them up. I also learned that I waisted money on the el cheapo set up. I know from past hobbies, buy once, cry once, is a true statement. I should have started out with the cottage industry hammocks. I have been on a few more trip with my set up and really like hanging, so I chose to drop more money than I wanted to for this season(before my money is worth less money). My set up will be lighter and will fit me so I can get an even better sleep. I feel that it is time to raise above and elevate my sleeping game after years of group sleeping like some cave man.

Thanks for your time and feel free to reach out to me for anything,
    Redrum

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Welcome! With better gear and cooler temps you'll be living the dream in no time!

Hammock
    Dutch Nettles
    Tarp
    HG 12' Journey
    Suspension
    Still testing
    Hey, thanks. Also you have a nice channel on YT.

• + New Posts