Something seemed strange when I started reading the post - then I checked the date. The NEW RR - a couple years old now - removed that little 4 inch "extension" option for the head poles. You now get just 4 pieces, 2-piece foot end and 2-piece head end. The foot end poles fit inside the head end poles when packed away. The head end is as wide as the older style when the 4 inch piece was used.

As far as "punch through" - that's happened to me twice; my fault entirely. When I use the RR at home, it's suspended from two rings attached at the entrance (hidden from the street) of the house. So the next morning after a night's use, I just unhook the carabiners, grab to two poles - the hammock and poles (older model) is completely inside the spindrift - and carry it inside. To set it up the next night, I just reconnect the suspension to the rings.

But while the RR is loose, a pole can slip out of it's metal end clip. Because everything is inside, and sort of held in place, by the spindrift, I'd just clip on the carabiners and get in - without checking that both poles are still being held properly in the clip.

How much pressure is there - well if one end has popped out, and I get in the RR, I've had the pole push through the ripstop nylon spindrift, fly five feet to a property line fence, and hit that fence with enough force to bounce back just beyond the hammocks far edge. It's pretty dramatic. And I'm glad it punched through on the side facing the fence and not the windows in front of the house.

So now my nighttime ritual includes touching both pole ends at the head and foot of the hammock to assure they are in the brackets (or buttons on the newer RR) where they should be.