Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Single layer vs double layer.

Buying a new hammock next week. Trying to decide double layer or single layer.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe this will give you some insight......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Single layer

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Pre-underquilt I went with a double layer so I could sandwich an insulated pad between the layers. I was not real happy with using a pad as it was hard to get the right angle and it was kind of narrow even at 25”…so later ordered an underquilt. Just ordered a single layer hammock: I justified it by saying it would save me 5 oz. in weight. So weight and cost vs what you are going to use for under insulation, and perhaps your weight.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I had nearly the same process as Longwinters. My first cottage premium hammock was a double-layer SLD Trail Lair, because my last Amazon hammock was a Hammock Bliss Sky Bed, which has a sleeve for a pad (and actually works fairly well, though it needed the suspension updated). I thought I’d continue with a pad, and wanted the double-layer with opening to hold it in place. Then I tried an underquilt, spent a lot of money, and realized how much weight the second layer of fabric was adding. I have a single-layer SLD Voyageur netless with Fronkey that I use backpacking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Unsure if double layer really helps with mosquitoes but I have a single layer 1.6 hexon SLD Trail Lair and when tossing and turning and some figure-4 sleeping, I got bit pretty bad (40+ bites) on my ankles, hands, feet, knees even... In all honesty it could have been because I didn't get those parts with deet (was wearing crocs) but it was bad enough to make me paranoid about ensuring my extremities were within the underquilt - not so easy considering my hammock is extra wide and my HG econ 20 doesn't fit so nicely...

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I started out with DL’s thinking I was going to use pads or would have the need to go-to-ground more often. But I quickly embraced UQ’s and never looked back. I’m slowly replacing my DL stock with SL equivalents. There is a “feel” factor. Just a like a Firm vs Softer mattress, a single layer has a little more give. Not good nor bad; just different.

I think a lot would have to to with 1) how often you camp in skeeter season. 2) how often you plan to go to ground and use the hammock+Net as a Bivi Bag. 3) if you live in a warm enough place that a DL + the clothes you wear are warm enough for an afternoon nap (no pad or UQ needed). 4) if you plan on staying with pads vs UQ’s for a while.

Yes, there’s a “penalty” in weight, bulk, and cost; but unless you are a dedicated UL’er (UltraLight), over time those differences aren’t so much. If a bit more weight/bulk/cost aren’t issues, then it just a “What feels best to you.” For me, that changes from time to time so there is no “right” answer.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I am a newb but went single layer with UQ. And I am pretty paranoid about skeeters and am suspicious of the claim that a double layer makes it bug proof. I can see where it could help but don’t understand how it could eliminate the risk entirely. And when they are bad they are bad. And when they are good, it is really not that big of a deal. But when they are bad, even if it makes a 90% reduction you are still going to get a ton of bites.

Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    I had nearly the same process as Longwinters. My first cottage premium hammock was a double-layer SLD Trail Lair, because my last Amazon hammock was a Hammock Bliss Sky Bed, which has a sleeve for a pad (and actually works fairly well, though it needed the suspension updated). I thought I’d continue with a pad, and wanted the double-layer with opening to hold it in place. Then I tried an underquilt, spent a lot of money, and realized how much weight the second layer of fabric was adding. I have a single-layer SLD Voyageur netless with Fronkey that I use backpacking.

I have a Sky Bed and I think it is very comfortable. Much better than an 11ft netless with a Jarbridge UQ that I started out with, a combo that had calf ridge issues.

Would you say the pad is the reason the Sky Bed stays flat? Does the pad work better in the Sky Bed compare to the double layer Trail Lair? Does the pad make a flatter lay in the Trail Lair like it does the Sky Bed?

I would like to buy an integrated net hammock, but I am debating whether the pad will provide a flat lay regardless of which double hammock I get, or the Sky Bed is just a great shape.

Sent from my PACM00 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by yuphehe; 09-03-2021 at 16:35.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    To be honest, I haven’t used it that much in the Trail Lair; it does flatten things out a bit, but not in quite as pronounced a fashion as the Sky Bed. I do like the greater head room above me in the Trail Lair, though — after the Trail Lair, the Sky Bed feels a little cramped, even with the structural ridgeline I added when I replaced the long ropes at the end with Amstel continuous loops. Since I have good quilts now, I think I’d probably only ever use a pad in the Sky Bed at this point, though if I were anticipating going to ground that might be a reason to bring that hammock on a trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast