Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    When it's too hot to use an UQ I use an UQP for the reason stated. If the blood suckers are really bad I put the UQP on the outside of the fronkey style bug net that I use.
    None are biting through all of that, or sneaking in the bottom during the night.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    I am a newb but went single layer with UQ. And I am pretty paranoid about skeeters and am suspicious of the claim that a double layer makes it bug proof. I can see where it could help but don’t understand how it could eliminate the risk entirely. And when they are bad they are bad. And when they are good, it is really not that big of a deal. But when they are bad, even if it makes a 90% reduction you are still going to get a ton of bites.
    I believe the idea of a double layer hammock for mosquito protection, isn't from the thickness of the layers. The mosquitos work through the weave crosses of 1 layer, but the odds of 2 weave crosses lining up at any given point is pretty unlikely.

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I understand the logic. But for me mentally if you have one tight grid and line it up on another tight grid it is going to have some places where they line up. And if the skeeters are bad, they will find you. I do not like camping in bad bug season but it happens occasionally for various reasons. I was in Diamond Peak Wilderness too early this year. I figured late July might be OK and I was wrong. Though I use an under quilt so I was fine (though did not stay as long as desired). I am just saying I personally would not trust it for being bug proof without more information. Fabrics have to matter a ton as well so a Hennessy Jungle saying it is bug proof might be true but the double layer may not have the same miles with a Warbonnet.

And I too have a bad bug experience. I was in Freemont Forest one time and the bugs were pretty bad. This was with my vehicle and I was actually sleeping in the back of said vehicle (technically a 1994 Pathfinder which if you took out the backseats would lay completely flat. I miss that car). I was pretty deeted up but did not deet my stocking cap (thick, hand knit Irish wool cap) nor my feet. I was wearing thick wool socks with Birkenstock’s aloud the fire. Yeah. You could see my Birkenstock straps like a tan line and my head was like the Himalayas. If they are bad they will find you if there is an opening. And I try to avoid being out when they are bad but it does happen. At least around here.

And I put on my deet pretty heavy when needed. I was on an archeological dig living in a tent in college by the mouth of the Columbia (civil war era fort associated to Ft Stevens) and that is a very buggy marsh. Deet and I are old friends. But when the bugs are bad it is like having a water leak. There is no such thing as 90% leak proof.

edit - I guess that is untrue. It can be 90% leak proof but one would still have a leak and water damage if it was your kitchen.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Unsure if double layer really helps with mosquitoes but I have a single layer 1.6 hexon SLD Trail Lair and when tossing and turning and some figure-4 sleeping, I got bit pretty bad (40+ bites) on my ankles, hands, feet, knees even... In all honesty it could have been because I didn't get those parts with deet (was wearing crocs) but it was bad enough to make me paranoid about ensuring my extremities were within the underquilt - not so easy considering my hammock is extra wide and my HG econ 20 doesn't fit so nicely...
    We camp the Everglades and the skits will get between your quilt/UQP and tear you up. I had a DL 1.2 hammock made and they ate me terrible through that. I’ve never been bit that bad. It’s at least DL 1.6 to keep ya protected down here. Especially in the summer. Some folks soak their hammocks with permethrin which helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC & Ridgerunner
    I've got a single-layer Blackbird XLC and a double-layer Warbonnet. I honestly can't say I prefer one over the other. The Warbonnet was my first "backpacking" hammock so I went single layer to try and save weight. If weight maters to you go single-layer, if it doesn't then I'd grab the extra layer to try and improve comfort.

My two bits would be --

1. if you do a lot of camping in hot weather where you won't use either a pad or an underquilt (night temperatures > 75* for example), then a double layer makes sense for bug protection maybe.
    2. If you intend to use a sleeping pad a lot as opposed to a quilt, then again a double layer makes sense
    3. Otherwise, you should use a quilt whenever possible because they are more comfortable and you should lighten your load whenever possible, so in general single layer makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mazotster View Post
    My two bits would be --

... you should lighten your load whenever possible, so in general single layer makes the most sense.
    Unless weight doesn't matter (not backpacking) and your preference is for a stiff hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    SL ... less weight....more stretch.. not as much support....greater chance of skeeters being able to bite thru the fabric ... pads tend to move more

DL... more weight.... less stretch .... more support / firmer..... less chance of skeeters being able to bite thru both layers ... can place pad in between layers for less movement. If one layer tears then second layer can save the day.

Depending on your weight you will find a DL the way to go if you are a big guy like me.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    I live in SE Texas where the mosquitos are bad year round (similar to Louisiana or Florida). I use a single layer 1.6 Argon netless from Dutch and a Fronkey style bugnet. I soaked the hammock in permethrin about 2 years ago and I don't have any problems with mosquitos biting through the hammock. Of course I am not using an underquilt down here much of the year.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    I am no expert having just got into this whole thing.
    I know this is an old post but someone searching around will probably see this so...
    It's a popular discussion.

I was trying to decide this exact thing last fall. 50% say double layer good, 50% say single layer good.
    I made a decision to go DL because it seemed to offer more durability, a firmer sleep surface, choice of fabric and color that would be ideal for interior and choice of fabric and color that would be ideal for the exterior. I'm mainly canoe and winter outback camping so weight was not a major issue for me.

I get to use the pad as a booster when it's cold and it works well in addition to the underquilt.
    I got a Dream Hammock Sparrow DL and am really happy with it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast