DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Winter DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ 40/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle

JRB Mt Washington Fill

Noticed the JRB Mt. Washington is currently on sale - looking for specs it says 800+, which is what all the JRB's are listed at, except the Shenandoah's which at 900+. Assuming that will be duck down like the HG Econ? Also states it's the Water Resistant Down. I though everyone was moving away from the Water Resistant/Treated downs? Thinking about picking up up a 20 or maybe even a 0* UQ to use with a 20* TQ, but it won't get a lot of use really so don't want to spend crazy money if I can help it .

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If anything, seems to me that more folks are moving *toward* treated down.

I was skeptical of it at first but in the past 5 years or so I've used a few quilts made with it and my impression is that it stays puffier in high humidity situations and dries quicker when conditions improve.

As far as the temperature choice, unless you're going to be somewhere really cold a 20deg quilt might give you more service than a 0deg. I know it can get pretty darn cold in north Georgia and North Carolina in the worst of winter, but even there it's very infrequent that a 0deg quilt would be necessary. Even here in the NE I use my 0deg quilt only a few times per winter.

But maybe you're a very cold sleeper and you need a 20deg buffer. It would require a lot more specifics about the variables of a particular person, locale, time of year, expected weather, etc etc to make that call. Over the years I've amassed a nice collection of quilts to cover just about every kind of weather — down to about -10°F, anyway — and these things are taken into consideration for each trip.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I have a 0 degree Mt. Washington that I use when temps are below 50 degrees. It can be vented easily if needed. I am a cold sleeper. It is easier to make a 0 degree UQ work at 50 degrees than it is to make a 50 degree UQ work at 0 degrees.

Doni

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Winter DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ 40/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    Good points, I am a warm sleeper as well. Looking at N. GA/TN/AL/Carolinas/etc as my coldest use really. A 20* Under to go with my EE 20 TQ would probably be fine, but as mentioned a 0* can be vented so gives a bit more wiggle room on the lower end. I'm on my way to being a two-quilt set guy, and really don't want to be a three-quilt set guy lol, so want to make the right choice. Realistically the 40/40 is what I will use most of the time, with the 20/20 or 20/0 being avail for rarer cold weather use.

My EE 20* is a 950 fill, although I'm not a fill snob, just happened to get it on sale. If I go with a 0* UQ I would likely also go with 950 just for the added compressibility... with a 20 I supposed I could just go with 850 same as my 40/40 set. I do prefer Goose Down, which in EE means 950 only, while UGQ has GD available in 850 and 950.

I guess I need to do some more research on treated downs... for some reason I thought manf's were moving away from it (UGQ, EE, WM, FF) but I do see some are still using it like JRB, Katabatic and Cedar Ridge.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 08-29-2021 at 01:29.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Winter DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ 40/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    I suppose another option is going with the 20 and some overstuff, but if doing that figure why not just get the 0*.

Or going with the 20* and adding a 2QZQ when needed for a bit more warmth/wind resistance.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    If you email them direct they will tell you it's 800 FP Duck Down.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Winter DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ 40/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Ah thanks, that's interesting, and good to know. I do prefer Goose Down.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Good points, I am a warm sleeper as well. Looking at N. GA/TN/AL/Carolinas/etc as my coldest use really. A 20* Under to go with my EE 20 TQ would probably be fine, but as mentioned a 0* can be vented so gives a bit more wiggle room on the lower end. I'm on my way to being a two-quilt set guy, and really don't want to be a three-quilt set guy lol, so want to make the right choice. Realistically the 40/40 is what I will use most of the time, with the 20/20 or 20/0 being avail for rarer cold weather use.

My EE 20* is a 950 fill, although I'm not a fill snob, just happened to get it on sale. If I go with a 0* UQ I would likely also go with 950 just for the added compressibility... with a 20 I supposed I could just go with 850 same as my 40/40 set. I do prefer Goose Down, which in EE means 950 only, while UGQ has GD available in 850 and 950.

I guess I need to do some more research on treated downs... for some reason I thought manf's were moving away from it (UGQ, EE, WM, FF) but I do see some are still using it like JRB, Katabatic and Cedar Ridge.
    Ha, well I guess *I* need to catch up with developments because it appears you're correct about mfgs moving away from treated down. I checked EE's website and could find no mention of DownTek. Maybe I didn't dig deeply enough but it seems they've quietly moved on... hmm.

Having bought a 40deg Bandit w/950 fill last year, I should've paid more attention when ordering. I did find the following on UGQ's website:

UltimaDOWN is not a hydrophobic treated down. Although we have offered hydrophobic treated down in the past, we have weighed the benefits vs. drawbacks carefully, and have recently stopped offering WR down. The benefits, which are marginal at best in real world scenarios, are offset by lower loft, intra laundering clumping, and the need for more down to offset the lower lofting and possible clumping. Effective April 11, 2016, we will no longer use hydrophobic down in our products.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Noticed the JRB Mt. Washington is currently on sale - looking for specs it says 800+, which is what all the JRB's are listed at, except the Shenandoah's which at 900+. Assuming that will be duck down like the HG Econ? Also states it's the Water Resistant Down. I though everyone was moving away from the Water Resistant/Treated downs? Thinking about picking up up a 20 or maybe even a 0* UQ to use with a 20* TQ, but it won't get a lot of use really so don't want to spend crazy money if I can help it .
    Hi! All of our quilts use 800+FP Treated Goose down except our Ultralite Shenandoah which uses 100FP Goose down.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    You are incorrect we are using all Goose down.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast