Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

DIY backyard removable hammock posts

I haven’t been able to find anything on here (or the internets in general) so wanted to run this by everyone to see if this was feasible or not before I start.

I unfortunately have no trees in my backyard. My plan then was to use some 10’ 4” x 4” posts that instead of being sunk directly into concrete, will be removable. I plan to sink a PVC pipe about 24-30” into a hole filled with concrete that way the 4x4 post can slide down into the PVC when I want to hang and then when I’m not hanging, they’ll be gone, and I’ll cap the PVC to make it low profile.

Does this seem like it will be strong enough? Any unforeseen issues? Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    There were some posts about this. Someone did I think 2.5" PVC and a 2" galvanized pipe. That could be stronger and easier to deal with. I can't find the thread but I think they said it worked out really well, being able to remove it and mow the lawn. I don't recall seeing 2.5" PVC though, maybe it's not very common?

p.s. I really liked this idea and planned on doing it years ago but never got to it. Looking back, I'm kind of glad because now I made the "bipod" stand which can be moved around. That is necessary on sunny days, and I don't want to be messing with my tarp just for that. Something to think about.

Images
    I might be easier just to get a hammock stand. The Vivere one i had was made with click-together pipe sections and supported 14' hammocks. It had 5 total pieces and was easy to take down.

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for the responses. I was leaning towards 4x4’s due to costs, but after that the galvanized pipe would be worth the extra cost for ease of moving around. I was trying to find something to hang overnight on so a general hammock stand prob wouldn’t work. As far as the bipod type stands, I think they are a great idea but aesthetically idk if I can get the wifey to sign off on it, but the flexibility is appealing….

a couple of things to consider; 1. I would put a top bar between the upright 4x4's to keep them from flexing when the hammock is loaded, 2. round the edges of the 4x4's- your straps/huggers suspension will thank you. let us know how it works out. Since you are willing to DIY you might consider building a tensa type stand- 4 pieces of 3/4" or 1" EMT conduit (@102" long) and a few bits of amsteel and you have a very moveable hammock stand.
    Last edited by ylnfrt; 08-26-2021 at 22:48. Reason: additional info

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    a couple of things to consider; 1. I would put a top bar between the upright 4x4's to keep them from flexing when the hammock is loaded, 2. round the edges of the 4x4's- your straps/huggers suspension will thank you. let us know how it works out. Since you are willing to DIY you might consider building a tensa type stand- 4 pieces of 3/4" or 1" EMT conduit (@102" long) and a few bits of amsteel and you have a very moveable hammock stand.
    Some Home Depot locations sell round 4x4 posts. You'll have to check with your own local store(s).
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-4...3000/100070843

Might be worth checking other home improvement/lumber places in your area too (e.g. Lowes, 84 Lumber, Menards, Sutherlands, etc.).
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    I would go this route too. I think it would cost lest, and be much more flexible for setup. It is really easy to get a consistent hang once the stand is dialed in.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Instead of rounding the edge of a 4x4, could you just use poles of that diameter or larger? I was staying at a campground in Saltspring Island and they, amazing but true, had poles in their campsites specifically for hammocks - bless their hearts. However, even the bigger diameter poles flex a little bit. That top bar may not be necessary but it sure adds peace of mind.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Townsend Big Guy
    Tarp
    thunderfly
    Insulation
    Klymit/KAQ
    Suspension
    Several
    FYI 2" galvanized pipe weights about 5# per foot.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    There were some posts about this.
    I see what you did there!

• + New Posts