Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hennessy Explorer Zip with Cumulus Selva L450

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I got in to hammocking a couple of years ago, and has since my first UQ tried a few different solutions. Since I’m a devoted HH hanger I’ve tried the HHSS system with good results, although not overwhelming. I’ve got a summer down UQ from Swedish hammock enthusiast momojord, and my first UQ - the trustworthy Snugpak Underblanket.
    Spring and fall in Sweden has proven to beat all of them to some degree and I finally caved and bought a Cumulus Selva L450, graded to about -5C or roughly 20F.

The reason for this post is simply to put some content mentioning this specific combination since I was hard pressed to find any when researching before my purchase.
    I’m more then thrilled to report it’s a perfect match between the HH Explore Zip and the Selva.

I have read various reviews mentioning the lack of secondary suspension, but after fitting and test hanging I’m convinced the main suspension is more than enough! I used two very handy mini-S-biners For attachment to my continuous loops.

What’s your experience with the Selva + Explorer combination?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    Hello from Finland, neighbour!

I have the exactly same combination (Explorer UL Zip + Selva 450L) and I've been a happy camper for 2 years with them. Since I mainly use my Selva 450L during spring/autumn (using Selva 120+overfill for summer), I personally use also secondary suspension with my 450L by running a long loop of shock cord through the side loops and the carabiners (it's nice that Cumulus underquilts come with really long shock cord). I also added short shock cord loops from the secondary suspension to Hennessy side tie-outs, helps keeping the quilt up in correct places (I'm a side sleeper, so that's important in cold weather).

(The only other small difference to your setup is that I intentionally decided to use cheap plastic carabiners for attaching the UQ. If I accidentally sit on just the UQ or something else happens, I want to carabiner to be the first to break. )

Quote Originally Posted by bitti View Post
    Hello from Finland, neighbour!

I have the exactly same combination (Explorer UL Zip + Selva 450L) and I've been a happy camper for 2 years with them. Since I mainly use my Selva 450L during spring/autumn (using Selva 120+overfill for summer), I personally use also secondary suspension with my 450L by running a long loop of shock cord through the side loops and the carabiners (it's nice that Cumulus underquilts come with really long shock cord). I also added short shock cord loops from the secondary suspension to Hennessy side tie-outs, helps keeping the quilt up in correct places (I'm a side sleeper, so that's important in cold weather).

(The only other small difference to your setup is that I intentionally decided to use cheap plastic carabiners for attaching the UQ. If I accidentally sit on just the UQ or something else happens, I want to carabiner to be the first to break. )
    Howdy neighbour!

Do you have any pictures of your secondary suspension in action? I was trying to figure out a smooth way, but couldn't really get the hang of it (pun intended). I'm also a side sleeper so every advantage is of interest
    I did find tie-outs on the UQ to roughly match the HH tie-outs, but if I'm adding a secondary suspension it might not be the best idea..

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    Quote Originally Posted by dnkmdg View Post
    Do you have any pictures of your secondary suspension in action? I was trying to figure out a smooth way, but couldn't really get the hang of it (pun intended). I'm also a side sleeper so every advantage is of interest
    I did find tie-outs on the UQ to roughly match the HH tie-outs, but if I'm adding a secondary suspension it might not be the best idea..
    Ok, this is the only photo I found where you can see at least a little bit of my secondary suspension. You cannot see my loops to tie-outs in the photo, but the loops are attached to the secondary suspension, not the UQ loops, which allows them to slide to their natural position (which at least in my case is between UQ loops).
    190423-083322-FRD-L19.jpg

(The photo is from my first hang with both the hammock and the UQ, so UQ positioning was not perfect, it's hung too much towards the near end of the hammock.)
    Last edited by bitti; 09-01-2021 at 08:26.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Is the hammock really short, or is the underquilt really long? Or a combination of both?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    The Selva 450L is the long version of Cumulus's full-length UQ, so it's quite long (215 cm = 85 inches measured from the side).

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    included in ^
    Insulation
    HOGS Down UQ -10
    Suspension
    ropes and knots...
    Thank you very much for this post! I just got into hammock camping with a Hennessy Expedition Zip recently and was lucky enough to have a friend who said I will NEED an underquilt before I head out in the fall. I think I will easily get down to camping at -5 degrees celsius, so I am eager to hear if you went down to these temperatures, what topquilt/sleeping bag rating you used and if it kept you warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Fancy Water View Post
    Thank you very much for this post! I just got into hammock camping with a Hennessy Expedition Zip recently and was lucky enough to have a friend who said I will NEED an underquilt before I head out in the fall. I think I will easily get down to camping at -5 degrees celsius, so I am eager to hear if you went down to these temperatures, what topquilt/sleeping bag rating you used and if it kept you warm.
    You probably want to consider a 20 degree (F) set. You can use a sleeping bag if you need to but, in the long run, you're probably going to want a TQ.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    You probably want to consider a 20 degree (F) set. You can use a sleeping bag if you need to but, in the long run, you're probably going to want a TQ.
    It's probably my next step, but so far I haven't really seen the need for a TQ. I have a 0°C comfort temp down bag which I can easily use in the sub zero conditions, as long as I have the appropriate amount of clothing/socks on.
    What would be the big win in a TQ? Wouldn't it be easier for warmed up air to escape when moving around?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    TQ is lighter/more packable since it has less material (no back, no full length zipper or no zipper at all). TQs usually have some sort of snap and drawstring around the neck area to close and tighten the quilt around you. Some of them also have shock cord around the body sides to help keep them tucked in. Also, easier to get into a TQ while in a hammock.

Drawback is there's no integrated hood like some sleeping bags, so you need a hat or something for head insulation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast