Will an oversize bridge hammock completely eliminate any shoulder squeeze + definitive shape?

I have a Bear mountain BH which is great apart from the annoying bugnet (which I've torn twice in the same place due to overtensioning) The only thing it lacks really is more width and I keep wondering whether ..if you made an exact copy (pattern wise ) but increased the measurements( or at least the width ) whether this would solve the problem or is it an inherent part of the design ?
    Many mention the shoulder squeeze but few make oversize versions from what I've seen . Surely most would be more comfy with extra width although I guess it's going to weigh more and so if that concerns you then I can understand that. I bicycle tour so weight isn't really an issue.
    Also ...is there a definitive shape I could copy if I were to attempt myog version?
    It's probably beyond my skills tbh as I currently don't even know how to use a sewing machine but you never know! Also ..is there anywhere recommended who'll cut out the required shape in a suitable material and mail it without it costing a fortune? I'm based in the UK and it always seems that there's loads of stuff in the States but by the time we pay the frankly ridiculous shipping charges often quoted plus all the import taxes ,vat etc the American sources end up costing a small fortune ..which is a real shame .
    Your tips advice ,experience would be much appreciated
    Many thanks
    Bill

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I found the same issue with shoulder squeeze and ended up making the head end wider and flattened the arc a bit, the build was posted last month in DIY Forum. Those changes eliminated the squeeze for me.

Currently working on 2 new versions, that should be a lot easier to sew up. They will get posted when I get them tested and completed.

Brian

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    That's good news. I've been more aware of shoulder squeeze in the last year or so, and plan to make my next bridge wider. Will watch the forces on my trekking pole spreaders and their pocket attachments, though. I'm sure flatter = more tension and uneven distribution. The best commercial hammock I've tried was one of Bill Townshend's Big Guy Bridges. I've toyed with the idea of an extended pillow along the center line of a bridge that supports my spine and lifts it up, relative to my shoulders. It would need to be inflatable to keep the weight down, and that could lead to condensation problems. Still thinking of trying it, though.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Personally, I found the bridge I owned, WBRR, provided more squeeze than my Hammocktent 90 degree hammocks. The bridge was off to a new home. 90 degree hammocks are not easy to find. I believe if you look at the aforementioned thread from Cruiser51 you will see pics of my DIY 90 degree hammock there too. When winter arrives I will be back at the sewing machine working on some more ideas.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I never had problems with shoulder squeeze (probably because I'm too narrow), but I've had all kinds of other problems with different bridge hammocks I tried. I ended up with a Townsend Luxury bridge that solved all problems for me. The Luxury and Big Boy bridges are insanely wide, so I would imagine that they would eliminate any shoulder squeeze. The only con is that they are not cheap when you're importing. Well worth the money for me, though.

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    I currently own one of bill Townsend’s luxury bridges and just happen to be taking delivery of one of his “happy medium “ bridges tomorrow. I’m expecting it to be as comfy with slightly less space, while also being able to use a smaller tarp and considerably smaller tree to tree distance. Bills bridges are insanely comfortable. His style of bridges are called recessed bar bridges and if you were interested in going the diy route that’s the style I would research. You might try reaching out to him regarding shipping. It may or may not work. There is no doubt they are more expensive than other hammock… both bridge and gathered end options but when you really figure it out to an hourly wage it’s more than fair, even a bargain in my mind.
    I plan on making some of my own just to tickle my creative side but have no illusions the final outcomes will be as comfortable or definately not at beautifully made.
    Regardless…. Good luck in whatever you decide
    kris

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC & Ridgerunner
    Are you able to side sleep (or even stomach sleep) in your Towsend Bridge hammock?

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    Side sleep…. Stomach sleep….. curl up in a ball if you like. Super comfy. I have the luxury bridge I bought off of another member and I just got the happy medium. He has a series of ten or so videos on YouTube you should check out. Search big guy bridge hammock. As long as a built in bug net is not a deal breaker you. He does offer a fronkey style net that works fine.
    Kris

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The TE Luxury is the only hammock I have used so far, in which I can side sleep similar to side sleeping in a bed. Can't say anything definitively on belly sleeping as I don't belly sleep. But TE hammocks have an adjustable ridgeline, and if you set it to maximum length, the middle part of the hammock comes up quite a bit. I imagine that this is comfortable when you want to lie on your belly.

thanks everyone for your inputs ...you're a great bunch ..so helpful . I just wanted to say that I contacted Bill ..the maker of the Townsend Luxury big guy Bridge and tbh didn't expect a reply .A few days later I received a lengthy ,down to earth and super friendly "custom" reply. No marketing bull***t which answered all my questions and a lot more. You could tell he's a genuine and decent man who will try and help out to soften the rather high charges of importing to the uk .
    I don't really need one but I have never ..in my life ,had a comfortable sleep outdoors , away from it all , and if this is the answer I may well invest as I'm not getting any younger ( who is?!)
    I had been considering an amok draumr XL but been slightly put off by it's seemingly rather fussy set up and instability , particularly regarding entry/exit. I know many love them and it is bound to get easier but with all the inflation of the mat etc one might be put of a quick sleep when out and about and I like things to be easy and simple.
    Of course ..if anyone could sell me a used one that would be even better but that seems unlikely to happen .
    Great conversing with you all
    All the best from Devon in the UK , Bill in Exeter.

• + New Posts