Mt hood/ Timberline in late September?

Any thoughts on typical weather?

The more we read and try to research, it seems all over the place. Just trying to get an idea of what (low) temps we are looking at on average.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It’s not the temperature you have to worry about; it’s the air quality (because of the forest fires). Currently, the air quality at timberline is good.

https://aqicn.org/city/usa/oregon/go...or-visibility/

Know that we have some larger trees around here so you might want to bring the 15 ft suspension straps. Or at least one 3 ft “extension”.

Also, understand that Timberline is at a higher elevation than most weather reports cover. it shows freezing (32°) temps tonight then moves back up to the high 30’s, low 40’s.

You can google timberline lodge weather. But various links give about a 5 degree spread for any particular day/night.

I’m hoping you will have temperate pre-fall conditions (nights in the 40’s), trees that work with 6 or 9 ft straps, and air quality under 20 (0-50 is good) but it’s good to prepare for near freezing temps at night, big trees, and air quality that inspires you to continue on to the Oregon beaches.

If you haven’t decided on a campsite yet, checkout “Little Crater Lake” the turn off is about 12 miles south (towards Bend) of the rest area at Gov’t Camp. It’s about 7 miles off Hwy 26 with a 3 mile leg and a 4 mile leg (or it might be 4 and 3). The attraction is an artisian well. The water is so clear, it looks only 10 ft deep until you see the trees at the bottom. In the olden days, there was a bench that allowed meditating on Mt. Hood. But now the bench as been removed and the trees have grown to block the view.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232872

I’m not sure if the Forest Service is now charging a fee just to look at Mt. Hood, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s on some bureaucrat’s meeting agenda.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

We are doing the entire timberline loop- counter-clockwise,

We've been looking at forecast's and current temps, but it seems all over the place. Sounds like we should plan on night temps 25-40 at general trail elevation then?

I honestly don't know what my tree straps are! I think they are 9ft ish, we've had them for many years. I should probably just pick up a new set of longer straps to be safe.

Thanks for the insight

Images
    See this thread on Oregon Hikers forum and my comments on hammock spots.

You are correct on weather. It can be anything from beautiful Indian Summer to season-ending snow storm. Overnight tempts will be 25-50F, but shoot for around lows of 32-40F under "normal" conditions. Be prepared for rain and possibly a couple feet of snow if you get hit by a storm. You can hike in early season snow. Don't be afraid, just be prepared.

You should bring 15' straps. Old growth trees on that trail will laugh at your pathetic 9-footers ;-). I used a combination of 12' straps and 6' whoopies on my trip and that worked.

Overall, i think September is a great month to see the NW mountains. Most of the flowers are gone, but so are the bugs, the crowds, and the heat.

Please be advised that there is currently a trail re-route near Ramona Falls. Part of the hillside trail collapsed last winter and several miles of trail are buried under blowdowns. Not a big deal to go around though.

Enjoy your hike. You will love it.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Good timing, the crowds will be largely gone and the weather should be good, if not, welcome to Oregon. If planning a trip I'd choose to be mobile and chase the cleaner air if the fire season is still going strong. This year looks like it might be bad. Think camping and dayhiking over backpacking with the ability to bail out to the coast if things get smoky. The Hood area is a good base for this. Have fun.

• + New Posts