Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images

Washing your hammock

Just got back from a trip with tons of poison oak and received my fair share of the rash.

Unfortunately, I wore my contaminated hiking pants to bed. Do I need to wash my hammock and top quilt now? Any recommendations on gently cleaning the inside of a WB Blackbird dbl?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Itchy

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HobieCat View Post
    Just got back from a trip with tons of poison oak and received my fair share of the rash.

Unfortunately, I wore my contaminated hiking pants to bed. Do I need to wash my hammock and top quilt now? Any recommendations on gently cleaning the inside of a WB Blackbird dbl?

Thanks,

Itchy
    I'd defer to Brandon's input here, but I'd be inclined to "hand wash" (wear rubber gloves!!!) in the special soap/detergent/lotion designed for neutralizing urushiol (sp?) from the poison oak. Same for the pants, though machine washing is probably ok.

One website had this advice for laundering..."To remove urushiol and decontaminate clothing, wash with ordinary laundry detergent at the highest recommended water temperature. Do not overload the machine and allow clothes to agitate freely. The urushiol will be suspended in the water and will not transfer to unexposed clothing in the load.

If you're lucky enough to have someone else help with laundry be sure to tell them that you may have encountered poison ivy. It is best to handle the clothes while wearing rubber gloves or pick them up with a clean cloth to avoid direct contact."

In general, it seems that urushiol is an oil so almost any detergent is good at removing it.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie

Thanks,

Itchy
    Your hammock is toast and needs to be incinerated. Send it to me for safe disposal.

Images

Baking Soda

baking soda works the best to get rid of funk it should work with the poison. i tried bleach and hot water, now my HH is camouflaged green and gold.

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    i always hand wash my hammocks with bug nets .as to make sure that the washer doesnt damage the bug net .easy if you have a big kitchen sink or even the bathtub.. throw in dryer on air dry..

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    baking soda works the best to get rid of funk it should work with the poison. i tried bleach and hot water, now my HH is camouflaged green and gold.
    I'd be concerned that the baking soda might not be effective at removing the oils that are the problem. That's what detergent does (remove the oils). Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of baking soda for many uses but I've never been aware that it has detergent's surfactant qualities.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    The irritant in poison oak and ivy is an oil called urushiol. Because it is oil-based, I have used Simple Green to remove it from clothing with great success. Simple Green is is an enigma because it is very gentle to most plastics, but an effective grease cleaner. I've even used it on my very expensive dress shirts for removing stains and have never harmed the shirt. While I haven't tried it on a hammock, I'm sure Simple Green would show damage to a Brooks Brothers shirt long before it affects a hammock...

Hammock
    Lefty Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing

How did you end up cleaning your hammock?

Last time out I got into some poison ivy or poison oak and figure my hammock is contaminated too. How did you end up cleaning your hammock? I won't be back to my hammock until mid-June (I'm on a container ship running from LA to China at the moment) but am thinking of using Simple Green and a power washer when I get off my ship. Any comments on this method of cleaning my blackbird? Thanks in advance.
    "Fall in love with mermaids, dance with octopi. Cast off your big brown shoes, get squishy, and wiggle for all you're worth."-from the Fish Head Manifesto

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    bleach....bad stuff for a lot of synthetics....dr. bonners/water is my choice...and someone posted about grit inside the 'mock...didn't notice until that was mentioned and last weeks paddle camping trip on the coast just added to....the min. is a fresh water rinse out i'd think. Overall cleaning them is a good point, they are not just a financial investment they are artforms we sleep in .

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thanks,

Itchy
    I'm dealing with poison ivy all over my legs right now from a trip two weekends ago. Yuck! I washed my hammock, by hand, in the bathtub. I turned it inside out and filled the tub about half way and used dish washing soap. It's supposed to cut grease, so it should surely dissolve the plant oils. I rinsed it thoroughly and hung it on the deck to dry. Hopefully I got it all out.

I also washed my top quilt. Just used the machine and regular detergent for that.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast