Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Ultralight Single Suspension Hammock / Tarp Setup (no tarp ridgeline guylines necessary!)

This is my ultralight hammock rig that uses a single suspension so the tarp does not need separate ridgeline guylines, it simply connects to the existing hammock suspension (Hennessy style). The benefits of this setup are that it is much quicker to set up and tear down with less hassle and it enables me to get a better pitch with less weight than using separate guylines for my tarp!

There is zero sag (with dyneema tarps) once the tarp is adjusted with weight in hammock as shown in the video and I can pitch the tarp on the ground as necessary with the existing suspension and trekking poles as well when I mess up my timing on pass and have to go to ground because I'm stuck above the treeline. It is also possible to pitch the tarp first and then hammock if in rain.

There is potential for increased weight savings with 1.1 0z material for the hammock instead of the 1.6 oz I use, but prefer the 1.6 for the sake of reliability and wear and tear, it seems to do better. I also use 1/8 amsteel on my continuous loops and whoopie slings instead of lighter 7/64 and again, it does MUCH better in terms of wear and tear and seems totally worth the small weight penalty. These items together might save 3 or so ounces if my memory serves me right. My hammock rig is a 1.5 lb penalty over my ground only tarp setup and totally worth it, my hammock is the comfy cocoon ever, especially in colder weather!

Components:

Dutchware 11 foot netless hammock with structural ridgeline (1.6 oz hexon) + 6 foot Warbonnet tree huggers + whoopie slings with whoopie hooks: 16.08 ounces

Hammock Gear Hammock Tarp (11 foot ridgeline): 7.76 ounces

Easton nails + Hilltop dyneema stake bag: 2.3 ounces

Hammock Gear 20 degree Incubator underquilt: 22.7 ounces

https://youtu.be/FD6OWFKHybY

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you want bug protection without the weight penalty of a full length net, you could add a HUG net. It provides a “bubble” of protection around your head; the rest of your body is protected by the TQ/UQ.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thanks for the heads up, haven’t heard of that. Fortunately I’ve had few trips that have had a ton of bug pressure and I’ve had good luck just using my head net…. But might need stronger protection like you’ve mentioned in heavier pressure.

Images
    I do something similar with my setup. I have fixed loops i prussik to the suspension straps and connect tarp to those with mini clips. I can slide and tighten the loops as needed.

I have elastic on the guylines. I never tighten anything. Doesnt matter if i'm in or out of the hammock.

The downside to this setup is: Can't put the tarp up in high-rise mode. Usually i'm too tired to care though, so no big deal.

Thanks for sharing.

Prussiks with loops are a great idea, I've heard people mention they do not like having their tarp so close to their hammock, so prussiks might be a good option for them!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I’ve done a marlin spike hitch on the tree straps close to the tree. Attach tarp suspension to that. I do this when in campgrounds so the thin tarp suspension doesn’t cut into tree bark.

Wish I had a picture but didn’t get one.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I use a single line suspension to hang my Sheltowee Whisper, except that I hang the hammock from the tarp suspension, not the other way around. That puts my tarp up first in case I'm setting up or tearing down in a weather situation. The Bonefire suspension allows for a low set on the tarp to the hammock's SRL, which indeed you need for decent coverage in a good storm. Once the hammock is loaded however you do get a decent amount of separation between the two.

Its still a bit tight sitting underneath the HG DCF Hex, but you can unhook one end of the hammock and half stuff it back into your pack to open almost all the area underneath the tarp to set your stool up and even do a little cooking.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    WHAT is a HUG net?! I have not seen these marketed ANYWHERE and I would like to save the space of the hummingbird net I just purchased to go with my hummingbird single+. Granted in warmer locales my UQ/TQ would swelter me and I would still need bull body protection, but in NYS, this sounds like the perfect compromise!

Quote Originally Posted by taraH View Post
    WHAT is a HUG net?! I have not seen these marketed ANYWHERE and I would like to save the space of the hummingbird net I just purchased to go with my hummingbird single+. Granted in warmer locales my UQ/TQ would swelter me and I would still need bull body protection, but in NYS, this sounds like the perfect compromise!
    Here's one:

https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...HUGbugnet.html

Dutch offers a hammock with a similar net but it is permanently attached to the hammock.

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    Dutch offers a hammock with a similar net but it is permanently attached to the hammock.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tom! Have you tried this yourself, or is this just something that you have seen? This does make a lot more sense for where I camp, and you can't beat 5oz in the bug net category!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast