Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Here's one:

https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...HUGbugnet.html

Dutch offers a hammock with a similar net but it is permanently attached to the hammock.
    Quote Originally Posted by taraH View Post
    Thanks Tom! Have you tried this yourself, or is this just something that you have seen? This does make a lot more sense for where I camp, and you can't beat 5oz in the bug net category!
    I tried the AHE HUG bug net a couple of nights ago and it works great! I also have a Dutch Half Wit with built-in HUG and it also works well, but it's nice to have a separate net (AHE) for those times when you want to forgo the net altogether. I used it with a SLD Treerunner.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-21-2021 at 18:37.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I should add that the AHE HUG weighs 6.52oz (185g... in its stuff sack) on my digital scale.

A bit more than advertised, but the mosquitoes were pretty thick and not one got through. I think they were on a feeding frenzy, fattening up before cold weather sets in. Maybe I'm a bit sadistic but I enjoy watching mosquitoes and moths and flies trying to chow down on me, without success.

It's interesting that with HUG-type nets the bugs don't seem to get through even if there's a bit of a gap at the bottom... they're 'programmed' to attack from the top and side and don't 'think' to try approaching from the bottom.

The only thing that's a bit annoying with HUG nets is that the ridgeline organizer must hang outside the net because the net is suspended under the hammock SRL. Not a deal breaker but something to consider... although I'm also thinking about some sort of mod for this.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    It's interesting that with HUG-type nets the bugs don't seem to get through even if there's a bit of a gap at the bottom... they're 'programmed' to attack from the top and side and don't 'think' to try approaching from the bottom.

That is an interesting thought that I had not considered! It's like the opposite theory of biting flies will not attach the tallest person in a group- hence a group of birders all standing with an arm up in the air to prevent them from getting bit. It did work for the person who had the longest arm!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Lol never heard of that one!

When I had my headlight on after dusk, at first it looked like gnats swarming because they were flying in a big cluster, but nope! it was mosquitoes. Don't think I ever noticed that before.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    For a while now I just connect my tarp to my whoopie sling suspension, it has worked great. My tarp has a webbing loop sewn in to which I attach a light carabiner, then I hook the biner to a prussik loop that is attached to my whoopie slings, then I just slide the prussik to adjust the position of the tarp and to tighten. I find it fast and easy and convenient, never had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12