Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images

Thoughts from first DIY: Hexon 1.6, Hexon 1.0, nanoseeum

TLDR: Hexon 1.6 is easy to work with. Nanoseeum mesh is tricky. Hexon 1.0 is slippery and a pain. Unless you already know what you’re doing. I did better after watching JellyFish’s videos.

After falling DEEP in the the rabbit hole that is this forum, I finally got up the courage to buy some fabric and make some hammocks. August in North Carolina is the inside season - its just too hot and humid to go outside, much less camp. So out came the sewing machine. These are a few thoughts based on making my first hammocks and bug nets.

I got the following from Dutchware - shipped and received within a week:

• Hexon 1.6 (4 yards): for my hammock - this seems like the lightest weight stuff that can handle my 6’4” tall, 260lb body
    • Hexon 1.0 (4 yards): for my teenager, who is 5’6” and under 150lbs. I was eager to try to make a really light weight hammock, was wasn’t ready to risk anything lighter than 1.0.
    • 0.67 Nano NoSeeUm mesh (12 yards): for 2 bottom entry bug nets and stuff sacks
    • 1/8 in shock cord and a bunch of cord locks for the bug nets and stuff sacks

I was given some nice Guttermann MARA 70 thread last winter and had previously dusted off an old 1973 Kenmore sewing machine. I did have to purchase some double roll presser feet for the sewing machine. Prior to this, my only sewing was previous attempts to stitch a top quilt foot box for a pair of Costco Down Quilts following the design by bser272.

I started with 12 feet of Hexon 1.6. I used a blue thread that was a fairly close match to the blue fabric. I didn’t make any additional cuts to the fabric that came from Dutchware, just stitched a rolled hem all the way around and sewed the channels on the end. I ended up with an 11’4” hammock length. I spliced 8in continuous loops using 7/64 Amsteel on a Larks Head for the end channels. I spliced LashIt to make an adjustable ridge line. (The mesh in the images is a Dutchware Peak Shelf - I didn’t make that). Hexon 1.6 is easy fabric to work with, and the stitching went fast.

Hexon 1.6 hammock, 11'4"

Hexon 1.6 with Gutermann MARA 70 thread

Next the bottom entry bug net using black thread and 0.67 nano noseeum. Working with nano noseeum was tricky for me. I found it difficult getting the stitch tension right, and fabric wanted to bunch up. I found that I had to set the top tension to zero and then also stretch the fabric to keep some tension as the fabric fed into the machine feeder feet. I also found using a very small stitch length worked best. Even then, it wasn’t great and it bunched up some. But its good enough. I goofed a couple of times and had to cut threads and restart, especially making the channel for the bottom shock cord. Cutting the thread and not the mesh was a headache and wore out my patience.

0.67 NanoSeeUm bug net

After I took a week away from the thread injector to develop some patience, I came back to sew a hammock for my teenager using the Hexon 1.0 - dark green fabric and white thread. I had not developed enough patience. Hexon 1.0 is slippery and I couldn’t get the fabric to feed into the rolled hem foot for more than a few inches. I started, messed up, cut stitches, and restarted 10+ times before I gave up. And came back to this forum to search for wisdom - and I found it in JellyFish’s videos on YouTube that provided excellent guidance on stitching these slippery fabrics. The next weekend I had more success, and found I could feed the fabric into the rolled hem foot with the right hand placement and tension. I cannot recommend JellyFish and her videos enough. Spliced some continuous loops and a ridge line with LashIt and my teen had a really light weight hammock.

Hexon 1.0 hammock, 11'4"

Hexon 1.0 hammock w/ white thread

After working with Hexon 1.0, it seemed easy to go back and make a second bug net and a few stuff sacks with the left over mesh.

I took these to a Scout meeting last week to spread the gospel of DIY hammock gear. I think we may try to have a hammock-making event. If only we had a Gear Making merit badge….

I want to thank all the folks on this forum that have generously shared their passion, knowledge, designs, and techniques. In your honor, I have made Haiku.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Mega Kudos! Those look great.

It's incredibly satisfying to use something you made.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Cool.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Whooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket
    Thanks for sharing, they look great. Makes me want to give it a try

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Another Jellyfish fan! I can't recommend enough her videos on sewing our strange fabrics.
    Good on ya for taking time and going back at it -- congrats on your success!!

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Looks good!

But now you're hooked on diy... <maniacal laugh>

• + New Posts