Hello from eastern Washington

I got a couple fox outfitter hammocks a few years ago and now I'm looking at trying them for camping (and first use in general). I've always tent or trailer camped so I have mummy bags and generic sleeping bags on hand currently. I'm looking into either the premade hammock stands or the turtle dog hammock stand with a large tarp over it making the stand essentially a center pole for a makeshift tent as a winter setup or within a cabin style tent as my bed over sleeping on the ground. I'm sure this isn't what most people are using hammocks for but I'm looking at this as a good transition using what I have. I'm looking at a onetigris winter underquilt (open to other options around that $88 price) and likely a 0°f mummy bag in the hammock. Thoughts and input on my starting point appreciated, my camping will be primarily fall or winter (temperatures can get down to 0°f but normally 10-15 would be the low). I'll be car camping so weight is obviously not a concern while I try this out to see if I like it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You’re already getting the hang of it, adding your own unique gear for a good sleep even when cold.
    Your part of country, has trees spaced a bit farther apart. And sometimes you need a stand or at least one end of a stand to rig to that lone tree.

Much different than western side of your mountains...more chill, more relaxed, more down to earth

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    You’re already getting the hang of it, adding your own unique gear for a good sleep even when cold.
    Your part of country, has trees spaced a bit farther apart. And sometimes you need a stand or at least one end of a stand to rig to that lone tree.

Much different than western side of your mountains...more chill, more relaxed, more down to earth
    Where I am planning on going it's either trees very far apart or very close and/or bushes in between but it's a national forest area so there are many camping areas as well. I haven't really been out for a few years due to having little kids but the oldest is 4 I think is getting close to being able to handle camping in warmer weather. I want to go out (even if it's just my yard if I have to) and get back into camping before taking him out for real. Taking him is what is leaning me towards the premade stand and tent. Most of my camping experience was with my parents in their trailer so I also need to figure things out for myself. I'm excited to get back out there.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Make sure your hammock is long enough to sleep in, build a bomber TD stand from 8' 2x2s with legs around 4' apart and a 13'-14' long pole, a winter tarp with doors, bonus points for rigging up internal pole mods. On the eastside your enemy is wind and this rig allows you to best deal with that in most car camping situations. Spend your money on the best underquilt you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    Make sure your hammock is long enough to sleep in, build a bomber TD stand from 8' 2x2s with legs around 4' apart and a 13'-14' long pole, a winter tarp with doors, bonus points for rigging up internal pole mods. On the eastside your enemy is wind and this rig allows you to best deal with that in most car camping situations. Spend your money on the best underquilt you can afford.
    Thanks for replying, the hammock is 10.5ft long and I'm only 5'7 so I don't think it will be an issue. My dad has some 3" round garden posts I plan to use for the tripods and then the top pole will be the fence toprail probably in 2 pieces. I'm thinking almost straight down on one side and then some posts/poles on the other side to have extra room as a tent. I'll have to figure out tarp size after the TD is built. I was thinking a second loop could be hung inside the tripod under the hammock loop as a spot to hang a backpack or other items so it's not lost space.

• + New Posts