Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Need suggestions for a canvas tarp or alternatives!

Even after a year, I have no idea how to use this forum to find information. So, I have to ask each and every time:

I had a Superfly overhead tarp that got destroyed by the sun at my permanent camp. I was using it for both permanent and weekend camping uses. My faulty reasoning was, "It was expensive, so it must be treated for sun exposure, right?"

Hard lesson learned. I heard tell that a good poly canvas tarp is best for long term solutions. I would love to hear suggestions on what would be the best one to get for equal amounts of sun and rain down here in Florida, all without breaking the bank. I'm not stuck on poly cotton canvas, but I'd obviously prefer to stay dry and cool for longer than this blasted Superfly has(I'll continue to blame the Superfly, because I'm obstinate ;-P).

Thank you in advance fellow hangers!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    What's wrong with the poly blue tarps like you find on roofs after hurricanes? Cheap and you can find them at any Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Poly canvas? Nah, that's not a thing. Canvas is made from hemp, flax or cotton, not polyester.

I don't think there is any tarp that can hold up against sunshine 365 days a year. If that's what you want out of a tarp, better to stick with the cheap poly blue tarps from Walmart.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Keep shopping and looking around. You might find a tarp that is about what you want.

Maybe a Kelty tarp

Or a canvas tarp, but canvas can get mold and mildew. And unless treated will wear out from rain, wind, and sun.

Maybe polyester will work.

And tell your cottage vendor, you want a tarp that can survive the elements while being set up outside year round.
    Vendors have experience choosing fabrics, and can sometimes give good advice.

Call Dutch and RipStopByTheRoll and John at Trailheadz and more great vendors.

Good luck

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    You might have some luck sourcing heavy-duty sun-resistant fabric from one of those companies that make awnings and sun umbrellas. We happen to have one just down the road from where I live (https://eastcoastumbrella.com), but you might find something closer to home. The result will probably weigh a lot, but I think that’s the trade-off. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Being mostly a desert dweller sun is a major issue here as well. My recent method, after getting my first lightweight camping tarp, has been to use shade cloth as a top layer and then put the "rain tarp" underneath.
    I picked up some 90% block for pretty cheap and it's not that heavy or large when packed up.
    This is for long term setups. We live full time out of our rigs and tarps get set up every time we have a "sunny" encampment, which can be often as we have solar systems for power.
    Previously I used some canvas tarps, talk about space taking and heavy.

Nothing will last forever, the cheap tarps from Walmart or lowes sound like your best bet.

Images
    Heavy tarp... if you want it to last a few years before replacing. Use it for the permanent site. Use another for traveling.

https://www.tarpsupply.com/14x14-pol...RoCHoUQAvD_BwE

14'x14' Color Polyester Canvas Tarps
    14'x14' Color Polyester Canvas Tarps

Item # CTPC1414
    Price $297.95
    Sale Price $205.99

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    But wait, SilvrSurfr just told us it wasn't a thing.

To some textile people canvas is more about the weave and thread count than it is about traditional fibers used. Like how velvet was traditionally made from silk but now people call synthetics that are woven and cut in the same fashion "velvet".

Poly tarps l have used only to return with a shade cloth topper over the hammock tarps.... Poly tarps being robust providing longevity, the sound created from them in high winds and torrential rain is noticeably louder.... wether this has minimal concern for you its a cheaper alternative winning run....

Then canvas from a little research l found looks fairly pricey and as someone pointed out can be prone to mould mildew, oil of cloves and salt with clear it up.
    IMG_3493.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast