one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Good grief. For a permanent camp, build a permanent "tarp". Frame up what you want, and cover it with barn tin.
    That's not always possible. I know as someone that has an interest in tarps for long term setups that I can't frame up a nice shade pergola every where I long term camp. I personally started looking into tarps that would last longer than the expensive camping one that get talked about on here after finding out that they excel at being light weight, but not long lasting when used daily.
    Also the reason I've gone back to my nice cotton Brazilian hammock for daily use and keep my light weight one for backpacking, bikepacking, or kayaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    You might have some luck sourcing heavy-duty sun-resistant fabric from one of those companies that make awnings and sun umbrellas. We happen to have one just down the road from where I live (https://eastcoastumbrella.com), but you might find something closer to home. The result will probably weigh a lot, but I think that’s the trade-off. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeberly View Post
    You should check out billboardvinyls.com

They are recycled vinyl billboards. Pretty cheap and thick and I bet they would work great.
    Quote Originally Posted by McBlaster View Post
    Look into buying a huge advertising tarp from a local sign company. They sell those gigantic billboard size tarps after their contract is done. Cut it down to whatever size you need and have enough for a few more times.
    these are great ideas for sourcing cheaply the proper material for this purpose. they will be heavy, but for permanent setups, that's a good thing, and kind of unavoidable (there might be something about mass and UV, but i'd need to look it up to confirm). the ideal solution is custom cut and designed (catenary cut and catenary shaped) tensile tarps, made of the same material basically, and designed to last a long time in the sun, but these will be pricey. I'd go for the advertising banners myself, if i knew where to source them, and design and cut some funky shapes (well, i'd probably start with a hypar, which is basic but i find it quite beautiful still).

regarding the superfly: UV is a beast, there's not many things that are stable enough to resist UV long term (well, there's metals and, uhm, anything else that's not "exotic"?sand i guess, ceramics). of the light weight high tech stuff dyneema is said to be surprisingly UV resistant, but that's only by comparison with the usual stuff (nylon, polyester, etc), it will still crumble eventually. thickness of the material (or, in this case, mass per surface area) will also limit how uv-resistant such things are or can be made to be (uv coating will only be as effective as it is thick ;) ). i'd basically never use my camping tarp as a sun shade, not even occasionally. i bought a large poly tarp (the cheap ugly stuff) for my vehicle, specifically so i don't have to ever use the camping tarp for that.

these cheap poly tarps are quite useful, and if used well they might even be decently durable: just keep them away from sharp edges, hard objects to rub on, and do not use the stupid gromets (i mean, just don't use them, pretentd they are not there), and pitch it well so it doesn't flop around too much, it might surprise you. they are ugly though, granted.
    Last edited by nanok; 10-31-2021 at 19:24.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Sure, here's some that I also used on our rigs. It comes in a variety of sizes/colors and has grommets every couple feet or so.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0831...b_b_asin_title

I'm not a fan of grommets in tarps as they always pull out under heavy wind load, and we have major winds, so I like to have an upholstery shop add some webbing loops on in a few places like the corners and midway along the edge.
    that's because they are rubbish, and should never be there in the first place (the grommets, that is). it really pisses me off, they just get in the way and serve no purpose except to start a tear in the material. what's the marketing pitch? "well, at least you know in advance exactly where it will fail! neat, eh?". the way they are being used on cheap tarps is so absurd it is insulting, i'd much rather have the rectangular material without any tieouts and no holes in it, for the same price. my theory is that they are so popular just because they are so cheap to manufacture these days, and it's much easier to make a quick sale of a cheap tarp with some "sturdy looking grommets" in it, than one without, although the one with holes in it will tear much sooner. arggh. such a waste of perfectly good material. sorry, i'll stop ranting now

to be fair, grommets are not a stupid idea in themselves, but for them to work, you need proper, rigid gradual reinforcement behind them, that will distribute the load properly. that turns out not so cheap to make anymore, and it adds weight, so we get just the holes, and are invited to imagine the cheese is there.

Then I set it up as I would a rain tarp for the hammock and pitch my actual rain tarp a few inches under it.
    The gap in between does a great job of keeping down the radiant heat you feel under a tarp that has the sun shining directly on it.
    this is really interesting, i've been meaning to try this, and wondering how it would work/if it's worth bothering for a while now, thanks for your insight

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    There are places that make canvas tarps and tents. Montana Canvas in Bozeman is one place I know of for sure, and there are undoubtedly others. Probably Rainer in Washington state. I used cotton wall tents and flys, aka tarps, for decades in the wildernesses of MT and WY. Of course we used mules to move them to and fro. Both for the Forest Service and outfitters. We are at an advantage here in the arid American west, but the main thing is letting them properly dry out especially before putting them away. Probably can be treated with a mildew resistant chemical nowadays.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Poly canvas? Nah, that's not a thing. Canvas is made from hemp, flax or cotton, not polyester.

I don't think there is any tarp that can hold up against sunshine 365 days a year. If that's what you want out of a tarp, better to stick with the cheap poly blue tarps from Walmart.
    Came across these Polyester Canvas Tarps yesterday, they are heavy at 14.5 oz.

Here is what the vague description says on the manufacture's website:

T"arps Direct's 14.5 ounce "WorkHorse" tarps are manufactured in the USA of a strong polyester blend that is silicone treated. WorkHorse is waterproof, breathable and will not bleed or stain. Lock-stitched seams and hem provide extra strength and durability. Brass spur grommets on the corners and approximately every 24" apart on all sides provide excellent tie-down opportunities. WorkHorse tarps work well for equipment covers, duck blinds, canopies, truck (steel hauler covers) covers, outdoor furniture covers, boat covers, material covers and many more."

https://www.tarpsonline.com/tarps/polyestercanvas.asp"]https://www.tarpsonline.com/tarps/polyestercanvas.aspx"]https://www.tarpsonline.com/tarps/polyestercanvas.asp

Also Sunbrell Awning 100% Sunbrella Acrylic woven materia 9 oz per sq yard and 5-year warranty. Samples are $4.00
    60" width. They also have PVC backed non breathable awing and marine canopy fabric. You are going to need a fatter wallet.

https://www.sunbrella.com/sunbrella-...er-beige-4672c
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 12-07-2021 at 17:22.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 20* T
    Suspension
    Straps

Need suggestions for a canvas tarp or alternatives!

There’s a guy on YouTube Lonewolf902 that makes a canvas hammock hot tent through Polmoly it’s 12.5 lbs but really cool if ya don’t mind the weight
    The wishbone will never replace the backbone- Will Henry

Hammock
    BBXLC / sparrow
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    wooki/burrow/
    Suspension
    straps
    i just bought one of these.

it's going to be wayyyyy too heavy for backpacking, but in winter i pulk my stuff in anyway, so the coverage and the stove seems like a no-brainer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234