Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I used the salt and oil of cloves to a canvas swag.... this was some years ago now that being said l believe l now located this exact link from the web.

A day of sunshine to start with.... preferably choose an area that the salt after washing down with the hose doesn't react causing issues with plants or the lawn.... or well water the area before and then after diluting down the salt from the cleaning process....

Mix stir a kilogram of house hold salt in a full bucket of water.... lay out canvas with the effected side up exposed..... pure the salt water evenly over drench the canvas.... allow the sun time to evaporate all the water, leaving behind a dry salt crust....

With a coarse bristle broom brush away residue cleaning the effected mould off the canvas.....

Add half a tsp of oil of cloves into 1ltr of water.... pure into a spray bottle then spray onto canvas.... this effectively kills the mould spores.... then after about 30mins give with a dry cloth wipe down cleaning up any residue.... leave to air out for a day or so.... for what it's worth l was happy with the results cleansing my swag....

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    I used the salt and oil of cloves to a canvas swag.... this was some years ago now that being said l believe l now located this exact link from the web.

A day of sunshine to start with.... preferably choose an area that the salt after washing down with the hose doesn't react causing issues with plants or the lawn.... or well water the area before and then after diluting down the salt from the cleaning process....

Mix stir a kilogram of house hold salt in a full bucket of water.... lay out canvas with the effected side up exposed..... pure the salt water evenly over drench the canvas.... allow the sun time to evaporate all the water, leaving behind a dry salt crust....

With a coarse bristle broom brush away residue cleaning the effected mould off the canvas.....

Add half a tsp of oil of cloves into 1ltr of water.... pure into a spray bottle then spray onto canvas.... this effectively kills the mould spores.... then after about 30mins give with a dry cloth wipe down cleaning up any residue.... leave to air out for a day or so.... for what it's worth l was happy with the results cleansing my swag....
    Can you list the link itself? And does this work for all types of fabric?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

You should check out billboardvinyls.com

They are recycled vinyl billboards. Pretty cheap and thick and I bet they would work great.

Sent from my SM-A205G using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Pad and blankets
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisRising View Post
    Even after a year, I have no idea how to use this forum to find information. So, I have to ask each and every time:

I had a Superfly overhead tarp that got destroyed by the sun at my permanent camp. I was using it for both permanent and weekend camping uses. My faulty reasoning was, "It was expensive, so it must be treated for sun exposure, right?"

Hard lesson learned. I heard tell that a good poly canvas tarp is best for long term solutions. I would love to hear suggestions on what would be the best one to get for equal amounts of sun and rain down here in Florida, all without breaking the bank. I'm not stuck on poly cotton canvas, but I'd obviously prefer to stay dry and cool for longer than this blasted Superfly has(I'll continue to blame the Superfly, because I'm obstinate ;-P).

Thank you in advance fellow hangers!
    The Superfly was never intended to be a permanent Tarp at camp.
    Buy several cheap tarps at Harbor Freight and hang them with rope. Replace as necessary.
    These tarps are cheap. (FWIW I keep a cheap 10'X12' Harbor Freight tarp with ropes in my truck for emergency use.)

Surviving the Florida sun has got to be as challenging as surviving in the sun in Texas. The only permanent outdoor covers I have are green house plastic and a sun shade in the garden.

Greenhouse plastic is UV treated and has lasted for 4 years and is still going strong.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenhouse-Plastic-Polyethylene-Covering-Solution/dp/B00BM8HHKK

If you need shade, garden shade cloth will also last in the sun, mine in currently 3 years old and still fully intact. This will let water pass right through.

https://www.amazon.com/AsterOutdoor-Sun-Shade-Sail-Rectangle/dp/B083CBJB5Z

Hammock
    Onewind 126
    Tarp
    Onewind 12x10
    Insulation
    Winter EB/JRB
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Semiuseless View Post
    Surviving the Florida sun has got to be as challenging as surviving in the sun in Texas. The only permanent outdoor covers I have are green house plastic and a sun shade in the garden.

Greenhouse plastic is UV treated and has lasted for 4 years and is still going strong.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenhouse-Plastic-Polyethylene-Covering-Solution/dp/B00BM8HHKK
    I'm looking at that and thinking winter hammock solarium... 6mil, 12x12', a few grommets, just over 4lbs. Heavy, but 4mil should be just under 3lbs, comparable to the DD 4x4

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    generic
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    check with sailright canvas for boat Bimini's and enclosures

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Out...tem_popularity

tom

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    The Cheap poly tarp from Walmart or others sometimes fails in one day. Those tarps are available in thicker material. I have 12 mil and 22 mil poly tarps that I use for heavy duty/ semi-permanent applications. They cost more, but should still be within most folks budgets, depending on the size you need. I think I paid about $25 or so for the last 8x10 I bought. Tractor Supply carries them.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Look into buying a huge advertising tarp from a local sign company. They sell those gigantic billboard size tarps after their contract is done. Cut it down to whatever size you need and have enough for a few more times.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Good grief. For a permanent camp, build a permanent "tarp". Frame up what you want, and cover it with barn tin.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast