Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    Heavy tarp... if you want it to last a few years before replacing. Use it for the permanent site. Use another for traveling.

https://www.tarpsupply.com/14x14-pol...RoCHoUQAvD_BwE

14'x14' Color Polyester Canvas Tarps
    14'x14' Color Polyester Canvas Tarps

Item # CTPC1414
    Price $297.95
    Sale Price $205.99
    You got any cheaper ideas? My budget is in the crapper. Those blue Walmart ones get holes in about a year, and I'm trying for something that will last. Doesn't have to last as long as a $200 one, but a few years would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Being mostly a desert dweller sun is a major issue here as well. My recent method, after getting my first lightweight camping tarp, has been to use shade cloth as a top layer and then put the "rain tarp" underneath.
    I picked up some 90% block for pretty cheap and it's not that heavy or large when packed up.
    This is for long term setups. We live full time out of our rigs and tarps get set up every time we have a "sunny" encampment, which can be often as we have solar systems for power.
    Previously I used some canvas tarps, talk about space taking and heavy.
    Could you perhaps elaborate on what you mean by "shade cloth? Does this come pre-made, or is it a DIYer?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    Poly tarps l have used only to return with a shade cloth topper over the hammock tarps.... Poly tarps being robust providing longevity, the sound created from them in high winds and torrential rain is noticeably louder.... wether this has minimal concern for you its a cheaper alternative winning run....

Then canvas from a little research l found looks fairly pricey and as someone pointed out can be prone to mould mildew, oil of cloves and salt with clear it up.
    Attachment 186318
    Someone else mentioned "shade cloth." Can you elaborate? Are they pre-fabricated as tarps, or are they a DIY project sort of thing?

For myself yes it was diy...

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisRising View Post
    Could you perhaps elaborate on what you mean by "shade cloth? Does this come pre-made, or is it a DIYer?
    Sure, here's some that I also used on our rigs. It comes in a variety of sizes/colors and has grommets every couple feet or so.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0831...b_b_asin_title

I'm not a fan of grommets in tarps as they always pull out under heavy wind load, and we have major winds, so I like to have an upholstery shop add some webbing loops on in a few places like the corners and midway along the edge. Then I set it up as I would a rain tarp for the hammock and pitch my actual rain tarp a few inches under it.
    The gap in between does a great job of keeping down the radiant heat you feel under a tarp that has the sun shining directly on it.

Sure, here's some that I also used on our rigs. It comes in a variety of sizes/colors and has grommets every couple feet or so.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0831...b_b_asin_title

I'm not a fan of grommets in tarps as they always pull out under heavy wind load, and we have major winds, so I like to have an upholstery shop add some webbing loops on in a few places like the corners and midway along the edge. Then I set it up as I would a rain tarp for the hammock and pitch my actual rain tarp a few inches under it.
    The gap in between does a great job of keeping down the radiant heat you feel under a tarp that has the sun shining directly on it.
    Hey, thanks for that! I'm liking this idea. Unfortunately, the link you provided isn't working for me. You have the name of the product?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Not sure why it's not working for you, I just checked it and it worked.
    Look up "DOEWORKS Shade Cloth" on Amazon and see where that gets you.

Not sure why it's not working for you, I just checked it and it worked.
    Look up "DOEWORKS Shade Cloth" on Amazon and see where that gets you.
    I got it. Thanks! And for 16 buck I'm glad to take the gamble. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Poly tarps l have used only to return with a shade cloth topper over the hammock tarps.... Poly tarps being robust providing longevity, the sound created from them in high winds and torrential rain is noticeably louder.... wether this has minimal concern for you its a cheaper alternative winning run....

Then canvas from a little research l found looks fairly pricey and as someone pointed out can be prone to mould mildew, oil of cloves and salt with clear it up.
    Attachment 186318
    Hey! I'm super interested in your solution of oil and cloves and salt clearing up mold and mildew! Sounds awesome, as I constantly deal with mold and mildew. What's your process and what materials does it work on?

Attachment 186318
    Hey! I'm super interested in your solution of oil of cloves and salt clearing up mold and mildew! Sounds awesome, as I constantly deal with mold and mildew. What's your process and what materials does it work on?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast