WB XLC Lightweight DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket

XLC mods?

Just upgraded to an XLC -- haven't had it out in the field yet, but I was wondering:

Anything that is a particular like or dislike about the hammock and the way it hangs? Has anyone tweaked their setup at all with a mod of any sort, no matter how small?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I have the Eldorado, which is the XLC minus the shelf. I like the bugnet, how it stays off your face.

If you have/used other vendor hammocks, be sure to follow the hanging instructions from WB. The foot end has to be a bit higher than on my DW hammocks. Once set correctly, it does a good job of rolling you into the sweet spot.

I have HG underquilts...would've liked to have some pack hooks on the head end to help keep them on my outside shoulder. I bought some, with grosgrain. Haven't gotten around to sewing them on as I now mostly use my DW Chameleon. However, it's not really necessary if you're not an active sleeper. I tend to toss and turn a lot.

I agree with FLTurtle: If you're using an UQ other than a Wooki, pack hooks on the edge can be a big plus. One on the outside shoulder and another on the foot end on the opposite side can keep that UQ under you. I've even read that a few folks have had a Wooki slip to the side but I don't think it has been a common concern.

Hammock
    WB XLC Lightweight DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket
    I have been using a HG Incubator for years and am happy with the results when paired with my old school Blackbird -- I suspect it'll also provide a comfy sleep with the new hammock. A friend has just pulled the trigger on a Wooki, so I am keen to see what that might be like with an XLC. I've been spending like a drunken sailor and should really slow down, but a Wooki might be on the horizon. How many shopping days left 'til Christmas??

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Ditto FLTurtle on the Eldorado. That's what I have as well ... basically a shelfless XLC.

- The hang is wonderful. I also elevate the foot end, significantly in my case (a foot or more higher). The foot box by design is fabulous. My angle of lay comes naturally and I never have a problem finding a flat lay very quickly. The ridgeline length was perfect for me and I've never felt the need to adjust it although I've tossed the idea around to tackle the headroom issue (see dislikes).
    - The stuff sack converts to a ridgeline organizer. No need to carry extra weight. This is an innovative feature that I'm surprised more vendors don't emulate. I did splurge however and added a peak shelf as well. I like having the extra storage space. You may not need that with the XLC shelf.
    - The fully removable bug net allows me to save some weight in non-buggy seasons when I don't need it.
    - The bug net zipper location and configuration is great. The two-way zipper closure comes right to my shoulder. Every time. It's always right there. I never have to struggle to find it in the dark when I'm trying to exit quickly for my groggy 3am nature calls.
    - Zipper openings on both sides are nice. Although I don't need it very often, it's nice to be able to reach out the opposite side of my hammock when I need to adjust my UQ on that side.
    - I also like how bug net stays off my face. I don't stake the bug net shock cord to the ground. I affix it to the head end corner of my tarp after I've staked the tarp out. I'm usually in porch mode, so the shock cord pulls straight out instead of out and down. It works just fine and it's one less thing to trip over during my groggy 3am nature calls. Since the foot end of my hammock is higher (and therefore the foot end of my tarp is higher) it's just natural for me to exit the tarp at the foot end, so the shock cord connection to the head end corner of my tarp never gets in my way. Sometimes I'll feel a little vibration transmitted from the tarp to the hammock when it's particularly windy, but never enough to bother me. Actually, I kind of like it.

Dislikes:
    - At 2lbs, it's a bit too heavy for my UL aspirations, so I don't take it backpacking much anymore. But that's my own doing. I'm a big guy and bought the heavyweight double layer 70D. That was before the new 40D dream-tex fabric came out and before I started down the DIY path.
    - Lack of quilt hook connections. I rarely have problems with my full length UQs (HG included), but my partial length Yeti tends to slip off my shoulder. I tried to modify with tarp clips, but the little ones are too weak and pull off too easily and the sturdier ones are too heavy. I'm still playing around with solutions for that. I've been eying the triangle thingees, but I'll probably just wind up sewing on tabs at some point.
    - It has limited headroom. For "big guy" me, when I sit in the hammock, the ridgeline comes to right about my forehead. I always have to duck under or lean forward to sit without it banging me in the head. No amount of adjusting the hang angle will resolve the issue. I've thought about shortening the ridgeline a bit to give me more room, but I'm really loathe to mess with anything that might affect how comfortable the hammock is for me. And since I don't really just sit in the hammock much, it's not really been worth the effort. Folks who are less "height enhanced" may not have this issue.

Mods:
    - Peak shelf (discussed above)
    - Modified connection point for bug net shock cord (discussed above)
    - Temporary quilt hooks (discussed above and still testing)
    - I also run a length of Spectra fishing line from my ridgeline to my pillow to keep it off the ground and make it easy to find when it happens to slip out of the hammock (usually during my groggy 3am nature calls)
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post

Dislikes:
    - It has limited headroom. For "big guy" me, when I sit in the hammock, the ridgeline comes to right about my forehead. I always have to duck under or lean forward to sit without it banging me in the head. No amount of adjusting the hang angle will resolve the issue. I've thought about shortening the ridgeline a bit to give me more room, but I'm really loathe to mess with anything that might affect how comfortable the hammock is for me. And since I don't really just sit in the hammock much, it's not really been worth the effort. Folks who are less "height enhanced" may not have this issue.

You could make the SRL detachable for sitting. I did that once by making one end into a short dogbone and adding a small 'biner to the end. I'd do it with a ti mitten hook if I did it again. Just need to get the other end to the exact correct length. Also, if the bug net is attached, you want to be sure that the SRL is not taut when you go to unhook it. You could damage the bug net. If the bug net IS attached, loosen up the suspension enough to not damage anything when in sit mode.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Whooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket
    I dislike the shelf in the xlc so I usually use my eldorado. I like a little more organization I guess so piling things into the large shelf doesn’t work for me. I don’t even use the stuff sack as a ridge line organizer on my eldorado for the same reason I don’t like the shelf.

As others have mentioned hanging the foot end slightly higher really helps you get more comfortable

I really like how rolling up the bug netting and tieing it to the grosgrain gives you some extra support as a backrest while sitting upright in the hammock.

I also added a mini carabiner to the ridgeline to pick up the slack while sitting. I believe I got this idea from a video shug did.

I added small pieces of orange zing it to the zipper pulls to make finding and operating them a little easier

They are great hammocks! I’m sure you’ll love it!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are a couple ways to adjust that ridgeline to get it out of your way when sitting in the hammock.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here are a couple ways to adjust that ridgeline to get it out of your way when sitting in the hammock.
    Shug
    A biner. Of course! So simple.

The best part of that video was the final three minutes! Have you ever put together a "Best of Shug" nothing-but-outtakes video? You probably have enough material for a full-length motion picture at this point. LOL

btw ... congratulations on receiving the YouTube the Silver Creator Award! Well earned and well deserved!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I own BB's, a XLC and an Eldorado and have been using a BB for 10+ years now.

I have been changing out ( very slowly ) the stock continuous loops with a Red loop for the head end and a Blue loop for the foot end to make it easier to ID the head and foot when I am setting up my hammock.

I added a prusik to the ridge line so I can hang something thru the loop if needed and have it stay in place.

I added a ridge line gear bag with assorted pockets and the center is open and large enough to store my Kindle Fire.

Added pack hooks about one foot from each end of the hammock on the outside just below the zipper. I used Red grosgrain for the head end Blue for the foot end. I place the suspension of the UQ thru the pack hooks to help keep the UQ in place. If it does shift is is never ( so far ) been more than about 6 inches and very easy to reach under hammock and pull UQ back in to place. I have not had my wookie UQ shift on me ( yet ).

Use a silver sharpie to write on the stuff sacks what kind of hammock ( or tarp ) is in the sack.

Put zipper pulls on the ends of all the zippers. I use one color for the outside zipper pull and a different color for the inside.

Place one micro binner on each continuous loop so I can easily hang my pack at the end of the hammock

Removed the tie out lines from the hammock as I found that I just don't use them.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast