CT state park campgrounds: hammocks prohibited, but how prohibited?

I'm traveling up to northwestern CT this weekend for some hiking and kayaking, and have booked a spot at one of the state park campgrounds up there. I'm not a car camping/busy campground guy ordinarily - I'd rather be dispersed or out a little off the trail - but it's happening this time and so brings me right into conflict with that infamous CT rule against hammocks or anything else hung on the trees.

I know that, silly and pointless as it is, it's The Rule and I'll be prepared to observe it (I'll throw the old tent in the car) but I'm wondering if anyone has firsthand experience of how meticulously the rules get enforced or not. Poking around online, it seems like a blind eye sometimes gets turned to campers boozing at no-booze campgrounds and bending other rules (including no hammocks) as long as they're unobtrusive and not destructive. So I'm wondering if a similar "I don't see anything" spirit might prevail with me hanging a couple nights - or have you found this to be a "don't even bother trying" situation?
    Last edited by michaelk; 08-19-2021 at 11:51.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    C. Gor. fortress
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 40/HG 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle buckl
    Do you have a hammock stand? The rule is there to protect the trees, not to prevent hammocking. So if you run a stand with a tarp over the tent area, you should still be good. My wife and I also turned our trailer into a hammock camper so we can hang in there, so that's an idea as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Styles2281 View Post
    Do you have a hammock stand? The rule is there to protect the trees, not to prevent hammocking. So if you run a stand with a tarp over the tent area, you should still be good. My wife and I also turned our trailer into a hammock camper so we can hang in there, so that's an idea as well.
    Unfortunately, I don't have one. I gave some thought to whipping together a DIY tensa stand but it's been a busy week to do a project like that, plus I'm also unlikely to use a weighty DIY stand on my typical backpacking outings in the future. No trailer or even a truck/SUV here, either. I guess I'll just go to ground for a couple nights if this rule isn't terribly flexible.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    C. Gor. fortress
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 40/HG 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle buckl
    It isn't. I've been to a couple parks down there and they hold to it. I guess, yeah, invest in a travel stand or use the tent. Sorry!

Wow, they still actually do enforce this: https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/State-Par...ks-and-Forests

"Nails, knives, or other foreign objects may not be driven into trees or park structures, nor may wire or rope be fastened to trees for any purpose including any type of hammock. "

That seems over the top. My 2" tree straps do not injure trees. I've actually hammock camped already at Selden Neck, not realizing this rule existed. That's nuts.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    This rule is dumb. This reminds me why I hated living in CT. One of the worst run states in the US.

• + New Posts