No sew hammock side guylines like Hennessy ...Advice needed please

Hi all , Wombat here in the UK ...relative newbie to the site and the finer points of hammocking.

Hoping you can help .

Basically I'd like to spread the sides off my Grand trunk double so it has a more open feel .

I see Hennessy does this with guylines ( presumably partially flexible ) attached to sewn in loops on either side .

I'm hopeless with sewing , although I'd like to learn , and in the past have achieved the "spread " required by simply using a hiking pole ,with tennis balls or large rubber ferrules each end to avoid tearing . This seems to work well , rather like an internal spreader bar and has so far caused no damage , but obviously it gets in the way somewhat .( Not usually a problem as I use it mainly for lounging and reading and it's quite good to lean a book against.)

I don't know if this method is inadvisable and could tear the hammock but so far no signs of that even when under considerable tension .

I've decided guylines might be a better idea and am thinking of my options regarding attachment to the fabric without sewng.

I know little about fabrics and their strength so was wondering whether some of those plastic tarp "clips"
    would be ok to use ..perhaps with a piece of thin rubber inside the jaws to avoid the teeth biting through?

Would that be a bad idea ?

Another way would be to put an eyelet ( brass or plastic ) into the fabric and attach to that but again ..would this be likely to tear when under tension ?

Finally how about a marble/stone and cord method like some use for tarps with no tie out tabs?

I don't want to ruin the grand trunk but have other cheaper hammocks I could sacrifice for testing .

Is there a better way without sewing or any other ideas.?

Tips,advice, etc would be much appreciated .

Thanks in advance

Bill in Devon /UK

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    I bought these things to hold an underquilt in place. They hold surprisingly well. Just clip this to the hammock and use a guyline like the Hennessys. If you are worried about damaging the fabric you could add a piece of thicker fabric between the clip and the hammock. Very simple to use.

https://www.amazon.ca/Windproof-Camp...9375775&sr=8-5

Thanks Homer ...I actually have those and some bigger more pricey versions ...I'll probably give them a go unless anyone warns against or has a better solution .

Thanks Homer ...I actually have those and some bigger more pricey versions ...I'll probably give them a go unless anyone warns against or has a better solution .

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Easy enough to hand sew a couple of loops to the hammock. Here are several Hand-Sewing Beginner videos.....https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+for+beginners
    With shockcord tie outs the tension is fairly light.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I would suggest putting some loops on using Kam Snaps and something like Bias Tape. I used this method to secure my Under Quilt to the tie outs on my Hennessy Hammocks. You could then use Shock Cord as guidelines as Shug suggested.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    If you are not allergic to knots you could put a small stone or something on the inside of the hammock and make a small pouch on the outside and tie a couple of hitches around it. This would form a safe anchor and then tie it off somewhere. Not sure if I described that very well.

Basically a commercial version of the stone/pebble idea that @seanMcC mentions, not cheap though - https://www.hengehammocks.com/produc...outs-tato-pair
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

• + New Posts