Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    JrB+Cedar Ridge UP
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties

down blanket between UQ and hammock?

Looking for ways to boost my existing 20 degree underquilt and was wondering if anyone has tried slipping a down puffy blanket like the costo one between the UQ and hammock and if you have, how well did it work for you?

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I think it would probably work. YOu would just have to adjust the UQ suspension so you don't compress the down in the Costco down throw (CDT). I have used a CDT on the outside of my Snugpak synthetic UQ, and that works great. I currently have a WB 20F Wookie for my Eldorado, and now that I'm thinking about it, I would probably put the CDT on the outside of that as well if I wanted to try boosting it.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

down blanket between UQ and hammock?

Adding my opinion—-and I can be exactly wrong.
    Especially since most everyone does it as posted above.

If I’m going to stack a zero* underquilt and a 20* underquilt.
    I install the 20* underquilt first, closest to the hammock.
    Then I install the zero* underquilt second on the outside furthest from the hammock. I tighten the primary suspension on zero* underquilt enough to lift just the empty hammock about a foot. Sometimes I have to pull 20* underquilt to the side. To make sure that the zero* underquilt is lifting empty hammock about a foot.
    When zero* underquilt is pulled to front side, I should be able to see that it is about a foot higher than hammock all along its bottom edge.

Then I push and pull 20* underquilt back under hammock followed by the zero* underquilt.

Now the 20* underquilt is compressed a bit—reducing its insulation—-but it acts as an air gap remover—not much chance of an air gap there—which is in my opinion is the primary way I get cold

The zero* underquilt is not compressed and is doing bulk of insulation—and with no air gaps to worry about.

With a perfect set up neither underquilt is compressed and you get much more insulation.
    But I hardly ever set up perfect, so I cheat a bit to keep from failing. And I’ve not camped in minus 30* and minus 40* weather.
    Five to fifteen degrees is cold enough for me—so I smush the lesser underquilt hopefully to prevent air gaps. It still insulates, just not as well—but if there is an air gap trying to form—the smushed underquilt can UNSMUSH in the exact right places as it will expand anywhere it can!?!??

I can be exactly wrong, since few if any use the above method. Hey, it works for me!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 08-18-2021 at 19:13.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Yeah, it totally works. The down adds insulation of course, but also fills gaps nicely.

The trick is getting it to stay put and also be where you want it. I just wrapped shock cord on both ends ends and made a ‘mini hammock’ which is at a high level the Wookiee idea.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Adding my opinion—-and I can be exactly wrong.
    Especially since most everyone does it as posted above.

If I’m going to stack a zero* underquilt and a 20* underquilt.
    I install the 20* underquilt first, closest to the hammock.
    Then I install the zero* underquilt second on the outside furthest from the hammock. I tighten the primary suspension on zero* underquilt enough to lift just the empty hammock about a foot. Sometimes I have to pull 20* underquilt to the side. To make sure that the zero* underquilt is lifting empty hammock about a foot.
    When zero* underquilt is pulled to front side, I should be able to see that it is about a foot higher than hammock all along its bottom edge.

Then I push and pull 20* underquilt back under hammock followed by the zero* underquilt.

Now the 20* underquilt is compressed a bit—reducing its insulation—-but it acts as an air gap remover—not much chance of an air gap there—which is in my opinion is the primary way I get cold

The zero* underquilt is not compressed and is doing bulk of insulation—and with no air gaps to worry about.

With a perfect set up neither underquilt is compressed and you get much more insulation.
    But I hardly ever set up perfect, so I cheat a bit to keep from failing. And I’ve not camped in minus 30* and minus 40* weather.
    Five to fifteen degrees is cold enough for me—so I smush the lesser underquilt hopefully to prevent air gaps. It still insulates, just not as well—but if there is an air gap trying to form—the smushed underquilt can UNSMUSH in the exact right places as it will expand anywhere it can!?!??

I can be exactly wrong, since few if any use the above method. Hey, it works for me!
    I do similar, but between Costco and Underquilt (which is snugged to hammock as normal), I try to leave a gap (fiddle factor), that small amount of air gap in there will also trap a little heat that may radiate from UQ. The gap addition has a "perceived" difference than touch.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    C. Gor. fortress
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 40/HG 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle buckl
    Once I get more into winter hammocking, my intent is to use my military Woobie under my 20 degree TQ. I'm hoping that will get me down to around 0. I don't think I'll need much more than that as I tend to run hot.

Edit: Just realized we were referencing UQ's, not TQ's. though, same idea applies. LOL
    Last edited by Styles2281; 08-19-2021 at 07:59. Reason: Mistake

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes, UQs can be layered.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images
    Ditto Tpatter, my Costco down blanket and an 20 degree uq got me to 8 degrees. I don't think much lower would of been comfortable. I made one Costco blanket into an underquilt (good to mid 50's)since then and will test it out layering to see if the cordage makes any difference on how low it'll go. I'm thinking of getting an HG Econ 30 or 40 to use in that in between temp range plus for layering this winter.

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles

• + New Posts