Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    Since lots of people here seem to talk about down beanies: what makes a down beanie better than a fleece one? Is there a certain temperature limit or something? I'm asking since down beanies are practically unheard of here in Finland (but being here up north, we have tons of other kinds of beanies).

But adding to the list, in Europe it seems that at least Cumulus makes down beanies (https://cumulus.equipment/eu_en/down...-down-hat.html)

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by bitti View Post
    Since lots of people here seem to talk about down beanies: what makes a down beanie better than a fleece one? Is there a certain temperature limit or something? I'm asking since down beanies are practically unheard of here in Finland (but being here up north, we have tons of other kinds of beanies).

But adding to the list, in Europe it seems that at least Cumulus makes down beanies (https://cumulus.equipment/eu_en/down...-down-hat.html)
    My guess is they are lighter?

Hammock
    Walhalla
    Tarp
    Walhalla
    Insulation
    Trailheadz & JRB
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    I have a Black Rock down beanie too but last winter I used an alpaca fleece beanie from Appalachian Gear Co. on all my trips... pretty awesome piece of gear. I've also got one of their gaiters & it be da bomb.
    These guys look awesome. So you like the Alpaca better than the down?
    HANG WELL MY FRIENDS AND HANG IN THERE!

Hammock
    Walhalla
    Tarp
    Walhalla
    Insulation
    Trailheadz & JRB
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    Yep. The OR down beanie is here :
    https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/transcendent-down-beanie-243485/

You can buy it at a quite a few resellers including REI, Amazon, Campsaver, Zappos, etc.
    Thank you. I am trying to stay with a cottage vendor to support there business instead of bigger companies. But these do look nice.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RENDAWG View Post
    These guys look awesome. So you like the Alpaca better than the down?
    I like it for its insulation properties, it's less expensive, breathable, not itchy like some wool garments & it stays put on my head. I use a beanie mainly for around camp & for sleeping... the biggest down side for me (and it's not that big a deal really & more of an inconvenience) is the down beanie nylon shell material, makes it kind of slippery & requires readjusting from time to time. If the down should get wet or compressed, it loses any of its ability to keep your head warm.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrknArrow View Post
    That's almost like the TOQUE they sell in Canada, eh?

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/t...n-toque-243485

Cheers.
    You betcha! Same thing. In Canada, a toque (aka tuque) is just another name for a beanie. But I think that traditionally "toque" is just a generic term. It's sort of a broad catch-all category that applies to most any hat without a brim. So a beanie, a beret, a Shriner's fez, a kufi, a yarmulke, a dunce cap, or a wizard hat could all theoretically be considered a toque. But honestly, I think the most common reference for a toque outside of Canada is for a chef's hat. I've known several chefs and they all called the hat they wear in the kitchen a toque.

When I was in the military, the hat most people call a beanie (and Canadians call a toque), we called a watch cap. I don't like down beanies myself and one of my old black acrylic watch caps is my favorite when the weather turns chilly.

I'm full of other useless information as well. Unfortunately I seem to have been born with a genetic defect where I lack the innate ability to keep it to myself.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Walhalla
    Tarp
    Walhalla
    Insulation
    Trailheadz & JRB
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Images
    I think I am pulling the trigger on the Alpac beanie. They are about an hour from me. Thanks for the help guys.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have both the Black Rock and a Feathered Friends hood that I picked up off ebay for not much. The FF just happens to be the same model as one of my FF parkas, so now I have a back up hood too. Bottom line is you might consider checking ebay or your local thrift stores as an inexpensive hood option.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Jacks r better down hood is great!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Unless it is really extreme, a non-fancy balaclava is warm enough for me. Note that you’ll be compressing the down under your head. Also, a down hood usually has a nylon shell. I don’t like the feel of nylon next to my skin. The textures of balaclava’s are nicer. Another important feature is they can be easily washed. I often cover up, head-to-toe-ish, in my hammock; light ankle socks, top and bottom jp’s, and balaclava. Everything easily washable. The quilts stay clean.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast