Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner

DIY Back Yard Hammock Stand

Howdy all,

So I am a 100% newb, haven't actually done an overnight (yet), so please be gentle with your comments I have no suitable trees in my back yard so looked at some threads and youtube, a quick visit to lowes (actually 3 visits) and a few choice curse words in the garage and voila, the maiden voyage of my stand. I'm hoping to try overnight in my back yard over the next couple of weeks.

20210815_154859.jpg20210815_154907.jpg20210815_154913.jpg20210815_160021.jpg

I've got a cheap Walmart hammock and a Byer of Maine that I received a s a gift, but I wmight shop around for a new one

I want to add some fittings to the end of the metal pole and some rope around the legs to stop them spreading but it seems to hold ok...

I welcome any suggestion for improvement...

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    That looks great!

I do have one question: I can’t see from the pictures, but do you have anything preventing the ends of the hammock from sliding toward each other? From here it looks like if you sit in it the suspension will pull the vertical ropes (which are suspending the ridge pole) toward the center. That could cause problems. Maybe you have hardware preventing that slide to center? If not, some S hooks placed in the ends of the ridgepole would work for suspending the hammock.

How exciting to finally be able to hang in your backyard!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooo Buddy...looks great. Now just time to lollygag in it.
    Adjust as you go.
    Shug....former Charlotte Boy.
    West Meck High School Class of 1976
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    That looks great!

I do have one question: I can’t see from the pictures, but do you have anything preventing the ends of the hammock from sliding toward each other? From here it looks like if you sit in it the suspension will pull the vertical ropes (which are suspending the ridge pole) toward the center. That could cause problems. Maybe you have hardware preventing that slide to center? If not, some S hooks placed in the ends of the ridgepole would work for suspending the hammock.

It looks as if the pole that supports the hammock is itself suspended from the tripods, so the only force on the tripods should be straight down.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    It looks as if the pole that supports the hammock is itself suspended from the tripods, so the only force on the tripods should be straight down.
    I see the same thing Eclectic pointed out. Yes, the pole is suspended from the tripods but there doesn't seem to be anything to stop the suspension from sliding inward along the pole. Easy fix but important.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    That looks great!

Yep you are spot on. Those are the fittings I mentioned that I still need to add. I think I can get some that screw on the end that have either a hook or some kind of eye that I can hang the hammock from. Need to go back to Lowes, but 3 visits in a day was all I had in me If they don't have anything then I'll have to McGyver something to make it work....

Appreciate al the advice folks - thanks!

maybe mcgiver an icicle hitch on each end, before you get back to lowes. it's fun to learn, will get you hanging in minutes, and you might even decide to not drill any more holes if you like it. seems you have enough extra space to use a hitch instead of hardware

https://www.animatedknots.com/icicle...not-end-method

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    After three trips to Lowes, I would be done for the day, too. Haha!

That icicle hitch looks interesting. I’ve never seen that, but it is very reminiscent of the taut line hitch that I love. I may need to find a way to try that out somewhere.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    maybe mcgiver an icicle hitch on each end, before you get back to lowes. it's fun to learn, will get you hanging in minutes, and you might even decide to not drill any more holes if you like it. seems you have enough extra space to use a hitch instead of hardware

https://www.animatedknots.com/icicle...not-end-method

my knot typing skills are limited to hiking boots - but I figure I need to learn so I'll give it a looksie - thank for the heads up

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Good job. I ended up putting some rope on my legs to stop them spreading apart. Made it more stable for me. Others had no problem. Enjoy it. It's a comfortable stand !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast