Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft 2.2 oz Hex 70
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY

Abrasion marks in a two year old diy hammock

I am concerned about some wear holes in my hammock. Is there anyone that can tell me if it is normal to get these type of spots and if it will effect the usability of the hammock. It’s made of one layer 2.2 oz hex70. I sleep in it every night. For the sake of full disclosure I am 6’ and weigh 290 lb. The wear spots are not on the parts that are load bearing. I think it’s the way I have the underquilt rigged that is causing the issue. Any advice is always welcome I’m just thinking about buying more fabric and making another hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because of the slight curving- I'm guessing it might be caused by the end channel grogain of the UQ rubbing the hammock?
    I have not used any 2.2 hex but it also kinda looks like some of the "coating"/ coloring has worn off- material looks ok just not as full.
    Your last idea is probably the best- make yourself a new one with this obvious issue as things like this are often the failure points when something happens and your on the ground.
    Shug has a video where the demise of green bean, RIP occured. perfect example that a hammock material can fail anytime anywhere.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Maybe a spot of tenacious tape
    An X on both sides of fabric directly over worn spot.
    Or keep using your hammock, and inspect worn spots before and after each use.

Mighty tempting2 get or make another hammock.

My Dad, would have glued it with flexible glue for clothing—it resists freezing. He might have rubbed a bit of glue directly onto worn spots, on both sides of fabric. He probably would have used glue directly with no patch.

Lots of choices—maybe you can try them all, if you do them in correct order—and only as needed

Someone who has successfully dealt with this will soon post his experiences, that are better than phantom guesses.
    The proof is in the pudding, not always in scientific guess work.

I did have an ENO Double Nest, it got a run in it (much like ladies stockings get) after me and my gal got in hammock together. The advertising was just that—not made for two people to sleep.

I used it for a while longer. The run or worn spot stayed about same size, and I gave it to my grandkids. They’ve only used it a time or two and they weigh under a hundred pounds.

Then I got a new hammock!

Hammock
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    Because of the slight curving- I'm guessing it might be caused by the end channel grogain of the UQ rubbing the hammock?
    I have not used any 2.2 hex but it also kinda looks like some of the "coating"/ coloring has worn off- material looks ok just not as full.
    Your last idea is probably the best- make yourself a new one with this obvious issue as things like this are often the failure points when something happens and your on the ground.
    Shug has a video where the demise of green bean, RIP occured. perfect example that a hammock material can fail anytime anywhere.
    Yeah I saw that video it was a tragic loss for Shug. I guess any excuse to make another one is a good excuse I don’t want to wind up on the floor in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Maybe a spot of tenacious tape
    An X on both sides of fabric directly over worn spot.
    Or keep using your hammock, and inspect worn spots before and after each use.

Mighty tempting2 get or make another hammock.

My Dad, would have glued it with flexible glue for clothing—it resists freezing. He might have rubbed a bit of glue directly onto worn spots, on both sides of fabric. He probably would have used glue directly with no patch.

Lots of choices—maybe you can try them all, if you do them in correct order—and only as needed

Someone who has successfully dealt with this will soon post his experiences, that are better than phantom guesses.
    The proof is in the pudding, not always in scientific guess work.

I did have an ENO Double Nest, it got a run in it (much like ladies stockings get) after me and my gal got in hammock together. The advertising was just that—not made for two people to sleep.

I used it for a while longer. The run or worn spot stayed about same size, and I gave it to my grandkids. They’ve only used it a time or two and they weigh under a hundred pounds.

Then I got a new hammock!
    Thanks for the suggestions.

this is interesting, thanks for posting (i will have to check my diy hammocks thoroughly too, though i haven't been using any of them as regularly as you, sadly).

i would do this in order of importance:

1. figure out what's causing it, and elliminate the cause/adjust the design as needed. it looks like something is regularly rubbing on it there

2. get some good quality self adhesive rip-stop patches (there's some very good quality ones used for paragliders, they are used only for small holes up to half an inch across or so, but for those they work superbly, and that's about as load bearing as any fabric . yours looks a bit larger, but it's not an actual hole yet, so i'd try. ideally, we try to use those patches from both sides (so make a sandwich) whenever possible)
    2.1 if you can't find the convenient patches easily, consider making them with some good quality ripstop and maybe some silicone glue?

3. make a new hammock if you want, just because you can. but only after sorting out 1, and idealy 2. as well (don't throw this one away, looks like not enough damage to be unrepeairable)

Hammock
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    this is interesting, thanks for posting (i will have to check my diy hammocks thoroughly too, though i haven't been using any of them as regularly as you, sadly).

i would do this in order of importance:

1. figure out what's causing it, and elliminate the cause/adjust the design as needed. it looks like something is regularly rubbing on it there

2. get some good quality self adhesive rip-stop patches (there's some very good quality ones used for paragliders, they are used only for small holes up to half an inch across or so, but for those they work superbly, and that's about as load bearing as any fabric . yours looks a bit larger, but it's not an actual hole yet, so i'd try. ideally, we try to use those patches from both sides (so make a sandwich) whenever possible)
    2.1 if you can't find the convenient patches easily, consider making them with some good quality ripstop and maybe some silicone glue?

3. make a new hammock if you want, just because you can. but only after sorting out 1, and idealy 2. as well (don't throw this one away, looks like not enough damage to be unrepeairable)
    I think I figured out the cause. When I’m not home I use a small stand we bought online. This causes the UQ to be tighter than when I am at home. I think that is causing the abrasion. That combined with the fact that I get about 10 years of average usage every year (based on very little research).

I think it might be time to just make another one and keep this one as a backup.

I like the suggestion of using the hang glider patches to fix the spots. Thanks

sounds good, looks like you got it sorted then.

you're welcome. paraglider though, hang gliders are made of quite different material afaik, these days (the paraglider is the one that looks more like an ellongated large parachute). they also make kites these days from the same material, so you might have luck with some kite shop too (especially powerkites).

• + New Posts