Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am very happy with the mountainfly though of course now I wish I'd gotten the custom 13' to accomodate the RidgeRunner.

Quote Originally Posted by mazotster View Post
    I am very happy with the mountainfly though of course now I wish I'd gotten the custom 13' to accomodate the RidgeRunner.
    Sell it?

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    I use my 12' Thunderfly along with my McLean Metalworks regular size Bare Bones hitch stand to create an instant campsite anywhere. The split rings of the 12' Thunderfly mount directly on the ends of the tarp extenders of the Bare Bones. The side of the tarp closest to the truck can either be staked to the ground on either side of the truck bed or secured to the top of my tonneau cover. I have access to my truck bed under the tarp because I can lower the tailgate (hitch extension allows this). Very convenient to set up and camp with good weather protection.

TF on hitch stand 1.jpg
    Truck hitch mounted hammock and Thunderfly.jpg
    TF on hitch stand 2.jpg

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I still say my perfect hammock tarp would be a DCF Thunderfly. In its absence though, the silpoly version is still pretty dang awesome!

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    I have three warbonnet taps and rate them all very highly. The one exception is that the design is so that the continuous ridgeline is meant. to run under the tarp. I find that a bit problematic as over time I've had the line abrade the fabric and I get leaks now with the oldest one. Perhaps I'm missing something? That happens more often than I'd like.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    I have three warbonnet taps and rate them all very highly. The one exception is that the design is so that the continuous ridgeline is meant. to run under the tarp. I find that a bit problematic as over time I've had the line abrade the fabric and I get leaks now with the oldest one. Perhaps I'm missing something? That happens more often than I'd like.
    It is not designed for the ridgeline to run under the tarp. Why do you think that?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I love my super fly. I typically reserve it for the trips where I'm expecting rain and or extreme cold. I like using a big piece of shock cord on either side to pull it out. Some folks will add the pole mod in there too. Lots of cool configurations to play with. I use my HG CF Hex for summer or when the forecast looks great.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Pavel - I believe the Superfly has a catenary cut on the ridgeline. That means the ends are a bit higher than the body. So there is no way that ridgeline is intended to run under the tarp. That's not to say you can't do it if you want.

For example, in normal conditions, I'd run the ridgeline - as the design intended - over the tarp. There is no abrasion on the seam seal and no path for water to run under the tarp. But, in the winter, if I were expecting a heavy snowfall, I might run the ridgeline under the tarp - because it would give more support if there were a snow load from a heavy fall from the sky or a sudden attack of gravity on a clump of snow on a branch above me. It's snow - not water - so there would be no "running under the tarp" issues. And, if were windy, I could hang something on the line; just a little weight would pull it off the underside of the tarp ridgeline.

But normally the ridgeline goes above the Superfly so the catenary cut can do its job of keeping the tarp in school.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    It is not designed for the ridgeline to run under the tarp. Why do you think that?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Because of the fact that all their photos show it that way, and that there are no rings to keep the ridgeline in place better, as my other tarps have. I sent them a question about this just today, because perhaps I've got things wrong. But the time I've hung the line over top, the tarp deformed a lost and I found I had to have it much higher up, reducing the end clearance.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Pavel - I believe the Superfly has a catenary cut on the ridgeline. That means the ends are a bit higher than the body. So there is no way that ridgeline is intended to run under the tarp. That's not to say you can't do it if you want.

For example, in normal conditions, I'd run the ridgeline - as the design intended - over the tarp. There is no abrasion on the seam seal and no path for water to run under the tarp. But, in the winter, if I were expecting a heavy snowfall, I might run the ridgeline under the tarp - because it would give more support if there were a snow load from a heavy fall from the sky or a sudden attack of gravity on a clump of snow on a branch above me. It's snow - not water - so there would be no "running under the tarp" issues. And, if were windy, I could hang something on the line; just a little weight would pull it off the underside of the tarp ridgeline.

But normally the ridgeline goes above the Superfly so the catenary cut can do its job of keeping the tarp in school.
    That is good news, and I don't mind being badly wrong - in fact that would be a great positive. That would not be the firsts thing I've gotten wrong and I need to re-evalute and go hang a bit now to test it out. Thanks all ... for the quick replies.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast