SL tree runner and dutch netless
    Tarp
    SL Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG /SL under/over
    Suspension
    Rap rings/straps

Downshift is real, for better or for worse

"I wouldn’t worry too much about down shift. Stick to top brands like Enlightenment Equipment, Cumulus, UGQ, Warbonnet, Nunatek or Hammock Gear and you should be fine"

I have quilts from three of the makers you mentionand only the Diamondback does not have downshift problems. I believe its because I order wide quilts and somehow...no additional down is added to offset the increased volume. Whether 20, 40 or 50 degree rated I have shifty quilts and while a terrific advantage in warmer weather...in the cold in can ruin a trip IMHO. I am thinking of a 40 degree 950 fill Diamondback for 3 season trips but have yet to pull the trigger. It MUST be the bees knees as to small size and big performance.
    JUST SAY NO...to overfill...

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Overstuffing helps. I think "over-overstuffing" is counterproductive, not because it loses insulating properties, but because it adds weight and it adds $$$. Good baffle design is the best answer, but overstuff just a bit, too.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Since you already have the Diamondback 20F, you might try the strategy of sleeping in your down parka *and* down pants. Many people don't use down pants, but with the long hours of darkness in winter I consider them essential. I use Mont-bell TEC down pants because they have full side zips that make it possible to don/remove without taking off boots, snowshoes, etc, which is a gigantic PITA in extreme cold.

Because of the additional volume of the parka/pants it helps to have a wider TQ. As mentioned a few times already, a little overstuff is not a bad idea.

I've been using this strategy for about 30 years and it works for me. One more trick for reducing pack weight and volume in the winter... imagine doing a 2-night snowshoe trip @0°F with a TPW—not base!—of around 20lb. It can be done.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 08-12-2021 at 06:09.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Since shifting down was my highest priority next to warmth I ended up buying a LocoLibre Ghost Pepper! I own a Habanero UQ from them already that is a fantastic piece of work.

I am still tempted to get a Jacks R Better TQ down the line as a summer quilt at something like 40f and use that as a layering piece down the line with my 20f UQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheener View Post
    I was just looking at the Warbonnet Diamond Back, can anyone tell me what the temperature rating "Scandinavian" means? It is listed after 10F/-12C and 0F/-17C, so am I correct in assuming it is rated lower than 0F/-17C? Also known as hella cold (get the hot chocolate ready STAT!).
    COLD.

As far as a Scandi wookie we own, I eventually found its meant to be a -20 rating. Its a crazy block of down.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I think OS may in the long run only extend the life of loft in most cases. As I understand it, unless you change baffle size to accommodate extra fill you won't get much extra insulation factor. It will most certainly result in a quilt that holds its loft, depending on use, a few years or so longer. Nothing wrong with that.

Most manufactures will recommend if you need a warmer quilt to buy one that is actually rated lower, than to go with OS.

I like JRB's method. Everything gets 25% OS. On my Shenandoah UL that's less than 1.5 ounces of fill spread out over all the baffles. Enough to snug up the loft w/o overrunning the baffle diameter.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images
    Like others - I have a sickness - Too many TQ's !! I utilize a WB BB XLC with a zero degree Wookie.... so, I actually like the Outdoor Vitals Aerie - I have a 20 and a 40 degree - I'm not sure why some people look down on this brand but I am impressed with everything I have from them.... and yes, made in China. I also took advantage of the Warbonnet sale a few months ago. I got a Diamondback - 10 degree open foot box - can't wait to use it - I believe in a double layer hammock - not for a mattress.... but for strength. I sleep out in the woods beside my house EVERY winter night.. -5 10 degrees or snowing like hell and it's 30... I am WARM with any of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyracer View Post
    I'm not sure why some people look down on this brand.
    Who says that? Warbonnet is widely regarded as one of the top brands in the hammock community.

Quote Originally Posted by elstoked View Post
    Who says that? Warbonnet is widely regarded as one of the top brands in the hammock community.
    Pretty sure rickyracer was referring to Outdoor Vitals...
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-18-2021 at 19:39.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I’m wondering if quilts with enough down or even some overstuffing are less likely to have down migration—and less likely to have empty spots with little or no down——because there is so much down that there is nowhere for down to migrate to—-because it bumps into other down that’s already there.

I’m not sure if anyone can get what I’m saying.

And then if you see what I’m saying, would you agree with the idea, or no? What do you think?

Possibly with too much down overstuffing there is a point of diminishing ability to insulate and maybe greatly reduced insulation because the down is packed too tight to insulate as well.

Please share your thoughts. It’s good to have many minds with different ideas.
    I totally get what you're saying! There has to be enough down to easily fill a designated space or the down will shift easily and leave gaps. Overstuffing isn't necessary, but adequate stuffing is. Case in point: my WB quilts have plenty of down - without the overfill option - so that it's easy to fluff them up and have them stay fluffed. In contrast, my NorthFace "the One" bag is short on down, so no matter how much I shake it, fluff it, roll it in the dryer with tennis balls, there are major gaps in the down. You can hold it up to the light and see "holes" in the fill.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast