HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex 70D Sym
    Insulation
    HG TQ 20 / UQ 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Cinch buckle shredding straps

Out here looking for some advice and potential guidance.

Just got back from my second 2 week canoe trip of the summer, and I fear that I have an issue. My Dutch ware cinch buckles shredded my straps. I replaced the straps with the Dutch spiderpoly straps for the second trip, and the issue was even worse than with the original black straps.
    Background: I am a heavierish person, somewhere between 250-275, not totally sure.
    Anyways, I have the issue where the straps keep slipping through the buckles, and shredding the straps. What would work one day to make sure it didn’t slip, didn’t always work the next, and I was often hesitant to tie a slip knot in the webbing unless I knew that the webbing wouldn’t slip through, for fear of what could happen.

My question is just: am I doing something wrong in my setup perhaps, or am I simply on the larger end for this suspension setup, and do I need to look at other types?

Part of the reason I ask is because I am looking to upgrade from my Hennessy to probably a chameleon or other such hammock, and I would like to know what type of suspension I should be looking into.

Thanks for everything!
    James
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

not sure what straps you are using exactly, but cinch buckles in general tend to work well with heavier straps (not the thinner lightweight stuff), from what i hear. i do not use them myself, and don't intend to (for reasons i won't go into in much detail now).

your hang angle might be too "flat" (tends to happen when trees are too far apart and the straps are too low on the trees), this will multiply the tension in the straps (a 15degree instead of the recommended 30 degree will roughly double the load, 5 degrees will multiply it by more than 5)

if the hang angle is not a problem, then i don't know what to say, except these buckles are typically not load rated/tested according to any known standard (which is one of the reasons i mention above i'm not interested in them). in this particular case, being it is dutch, i'm convinced he would have done some testing, it might be worth asking him with what straps he tested, and what you should expect with those.

in a pinch, you can just use a simple becket hitch instead (without changing anything else, so basically bypassing the buckles, becket hitch directly to the continuous loop or whatever loop is gathering the hammock ends).

if you want to change the suspension, i would suggest to try some well designed tree huggers (so short webbing straps), that are made of oversized webbing (it's not because of your weight, i weigh half what you say or so, and like to use climbing rated tubular webbing, which is supposed to brake at 22kN ), combined with a UCR or whoopie sling suspension (again, i'd go for 3mm aka 7/64 and not less, or as near to a metric ton line rating -- for the dyneema line the UCR is made of -- as you can find). especially given you're canoe camping, i suspect weight is not the main concern.

if you're in a hurry to rig up for next trip, i'd honestly just get some climbing tubular webbing, and use it with a becket hitch, i will guarantee this will not disappoint you or let you down, will be heavy yes, and it might be a bit too stretchy in longer lengths (but that's just annoying, not unmanageable)

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Can you post some pics of the damage? Also, pics of your hammock, buckles and straps all set up. It's possible the buckles aren't aligned correctly and are at an angle instead of straight which will cause them to slip on you, and could damage the straps.

Dutch goes over that in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWAvQT_7M08

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex 70D Sym
    Insulation
    HG TQ 20 / UQ 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    8DA3BCC3-11FD-4BE7-B8A8-718A2A5D3528.jpg

Here’s the worst of the shredding on the straps. These were the replacement ones, and this is from 11 nights.

Sounds like I for sure need some work on getting the right hang angle, and then watching Dutch’s videos, jt sounds like the aluminum cinch buckles are much more finicky than the titanium ones, so when I get my chameleon, I guess I’ll get those or the beetle ones, something that centers itself, so the weight is spread evenly over the buckle.
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Not sure what cinch buckles you are using, but if it's the standard ones, try sticking with standard polyester straps. Any of those lightweight options seem to compromise reliability in lieu of minor weight savings.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I’ve had a little fraying on the edges with cinch buckles, whenever I’ve had any rotation of the buckle away from being entirely straight on the strap. One time it slowly slid out and dropped me on my behind, but held just fine after I re-tightened it and made sure that the strap was perfectly straight in the buckle. Others may have more concrete information or perspective than me, though, or some actual advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Oof that's pretty chewed up. I use those straps with the Dutch beetle buckles. No issues.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Some of the cross bars ( don't know the correct name but it is the one moving part in all cinch buckles ) that the straps wrap around can tear the straps if it does not stay parallel to the buckle.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Cinch buckle shredding straps

I do not have straps and buckle suspension, but I have some phantom guesses that might help.

Consider going with a whoopie sling suspension.
    Use 1/8 amsteel and a bury twice as long as standard. Use the strongest straps that are in stock on your trees. Use only sturdy toggles on marlin spike hitch—no twigs

Try to set up with a 30* angle of hang. Mainly do not have a spang tight flat angle of hang. Viewed from the side your hammock and suspension should have a Happy Face configuration.

If you choose to keep using straps and buckle suspension, consult with Dutch, the lady who answers phone knows all things hammock.
    Match the best straps with best buckles they have.

Is it possible to run strap through buckle in more than one path? If so, probably something I would do—put strap through buckle in wrong path.

Then watch Dutch’s videos how to use those buckles and straps.

Now for your phantom guess. After you’ve set up your hammock, tie a slip knot in strap as close as an inch from buckle exit. The slip knot will be too big to be pulled through buckle. If strap slips, it will only slip that one inch until slip knot puts on the breaks.
    Slip knots are directional, it’s possible to have it backwards—and then not work.
    And slip knot should not be confused or replaced with slipped half hitch.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 08-11-2021 at 12:27.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I've gotten that with the Dutch Ti buckles and the same straps. The more attention you give to set up the less this seems prone to happen. I haven't experienced any further damage since I noticed the initial wear.

One thing that I always do now, besides making sure the buckle and strap are in proper alignment, is to provide pressure by pulling on the end of the suspension if I need to lift it to walk under one end of the hammock instead of walking all the way around the tree.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast