Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    When I first started out, I didn't want to tie knots on my guylines so I put Dutch Fleaz on the loops attached to my MSR Groundhogs. When I string the tarp, I put the stake in the ground then tensioned it around the loop on the Flea. This has worked well for me over the years but if I had to do it over again, I'd ditch the Fleaz and just make a Marlin Spike-type loop in the guy line and hook that around the stake. Simpler is better.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    ...just a thought on Hardware for OP: It will fray the line after a while, but some puts more wear than others. We've mentioned Fig9's...I love them but stopped using them because of the teeth. Even filing them off as best I can didn't smooth them over entirely and I only use them for lower-tension backups now. I'd love it I could find some toothless titanium ones, but...*sigh*...

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Once I tried a CRL with namaclaws in lieu of prussicks I was hooked and now they are on all my tie-outs as well. The only downside other than a bit of weight is that you have to figure out how to keep them from forming zing-it spaghetti tangles while in your pack. The tie-outs stay clipped to the shockcord loops at the corners of the tarp sliding right into the mesh sleeve w/o a thought and the claws get looped onto the ridgeline a couple times as I spool it up. Problem solved. I've tried some of the Dutch bling but prefer the reliability of Namaclaws (they don't slip, ever) and simplicity of toggles and they both are all over my kit.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    These handy toggles work great for tarp ridgelines and tieouts. They're cheap, reliable, ultralight, and easy to use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28425867263...IAAOSwJkNbbKnL

Hammock
    W.B. Elderado
    Tarp
    W.B. Edge
    Insulation
    H.G. Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchbeetles
    For quick adjustment and high wind do a 3-4” loop of shock cord on the tarp with a line lock 3 from Dutch made for shock cord. Then I use a hi vis 1.8 mm line to a stake and you can quickly sinch tight or loosen up

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCPAT View Post
    +1 on Line Locs

Had the same revelation using Zing-it at 2:00am in a thunderstorm. Had to search a little but I found Line lock hooks for my tarp's tieouts. https://dutchwaregear.com/product/line-lock-hook/ Lawson's 2mm glowire holds like a champ in them. Zing it will hold, but it needs to be backed up with a slipped half hitch.
    I use these line lock hooks for both my Superfly setup and on my HG Palace. For both they are on lawson 2mm glowire, have been easy to adjust and I have never noticed slipping even with some pretty strong winds (and you can always add a small knot if the winds get extra crazy and you notice some slipping). I was considering going over to a marlin spike hitch to just slip the stake into but after my recent trip with tons of rocky ground (or with roots in it) where I initially tried to slip the stake in was almost never where it ended up. At the end of the day have the hooks to quickly tighten up or loosen is just great.

On the Superfly I have some shock cord loops permanently on the tarp and then the Lawson's attached to the stake. This has the advantage of making the stakes highly visible when packing up the tarp (normally I would unhook, get the tart in the snake skin, then come back for the stakes) and I never did lose one. What I found though was I spent a lot of time winding up the guy lines on the stakes or cleaning the lines if they got particularly muddy. When I got the Palace I went the opposite way and attached the guy lines and hook permanently onto the tarp and just kept a small loop of shock cord on the stakes. This felt way more natural and quick deploying and packing up but I did end up losing one stake over the course of a 20 day trip (I had a backup in case I needed to go to ground so not a huge deal, but I always put the stakes away first now). The hooks are not at all sharp so I have no worry they will damage the DCF at all when rolled up.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by packman9000 View Post
    ...just a thought on Hardware for OP: It will fray the line after a while, but some puts more wear than others. We've mentioned Fig9's...I love them but stopped using them because of the teeth. Even filing them off as best I can didn't smooth them over entirely and I only use them for lower-tension backups now. I'd love it I could find some toothless titanium ones, but...*sigh*...
    I think Dutch's wasp is the closest thing to a toothless F9

Hammock
    WB XLC Lightweight DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket
    I have been using Mini Line-Lok tensioners on all my guylines for years.

Works great with Zing-it.

https://www.clamcleat.com/mini-line-lok.html

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con

I'm sick of tying knots. What's the best / easiest way to manage tarp guylines?

Another option is to use Lineloc’s for tie-outs and ridge lines. For ridge lines, use a clip on the free end to secure around the tree. Then tighten and i use a half-hitch to secure tension.

For the tie-outs I use a bungee continues loop attached to the line-loc.

The cord I use for ridge lines is Kevlar I get from a kite store.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 360
    Tarp
    SaphiRose 10x12
    Insulation
    ENO UQ/TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    Once I tried a CRL with namaclaws in lieu of prussicks I was hooked and now they are on all my tie-outs as well. The only downside other than a bit of weight is that you have to figure out how to keep them from forming zing-it spaghetti tangles while in your pack. The tie-outs stay clipped to the shockcord loops at the corners of the tarp sliding right into the mesh sleeve w/o a thought and the claws get looped onto the ridgeline a couple times as I spool it up. Problem solved. I've tried some of the Dutch bling but prefer the reliability of Namaclaws (they don't slip, ever) and simplicity of toggles and they both are all over my kit.
    hmmm can't believe I never thought to try namaclaws on the tie-outs. Time to order a some more! The never ending accumulation of stuff.

As for the spaghetti tangles, I've learned to tell myself that the extra 30 to 60 seconds of slowly putting everything away will save time later. Unless it's raining. Then it's throw everything into the bag and figure it out later.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast