Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice re Sitting in a hammock rather than lounging ..back support?

Another newbie question and hoping you can help.
    I enjoy lounging and laying in my various hammocks but when it comes to sitting up in a comfortable position I find it lacking unless I carry various inflatable pillows etc .
    If I sit at 90 degrees to the hang the hammock needs to be hung quite tight for the back to be supported somewhat but it doesn't give full back support which is what I'd like. A looser hang and the back support is, as to be expected , almost non existent at 90 degrees.
    I am trying to get a very comfortable position , slightly reclined for reading, studying and general use.
    I have tried sitting in line with the hang but that obviously causes the legs to be raised . Sometimes I jam a short broom handle or hiking stick across the hammock which tightens everything up ..a bit like a central spreader bar , but it obviously gets in the way.
    Just wondered if anyone has come up with a solution to this ? Perhaps it's obvious and I've missed something. I even wondered whether anyone had made a lightweight back support of any kind to work with the hammock?
    Your advice would be much appreciated
    Many thanks
    Bill in the UK

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    From the King of Lollygag: https://youtu.be/fON6dlt85kQ

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One truly nice thing about Warbonnet hammocks is that when the bugnet is pulled back and tied off it provides a really good backrest when sitting at 90ºs in the hammock. If you scoot your buttocks further back in the hammock towards the back it gives you and even better sitting position as far as back support goes. That is one of the strongest features of that particular hammock.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Cannot say enough good things about DutchWare's cloud 71 chair. There is some upright.

I also will raise the foot end on my El Dorado and lean back against that to type on my laptop.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB / Chameleon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    SLD TW / CRO UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I've had some good results from folding the hammock in half and sitting on the double layer. It gets me
    closer to the off-side for some back support and eases the ridge across the back of my thighs.

I don’t know how wide your hammock is but if i sit across mine, one side is behind my knees and the other just above my head. OK it’s not sitting up but it’s fairly comfortable for reading.
    After a while the edge digs in behind your knees but if it’s something you want to do regularly you can make a little side hammock just for your feet.
    Martin, (also in the UK)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Also don't sit with your butt in the middle in a bunch of loose fabric put the zipper right behind the crease of your knee and then slide the rest of the fabric out behind you so you're only sitting in the outer two feet of your hammock.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Images
    3 ways to do this:

1) sofa mode - as Shug mentioned, warbonnet hammocks have excellent built-in back support. Stuff a quilt or pillow behind your back and it’s perfect. With other hammocks this may not be an option.

2) inline - use a giant knee pillow and suddenly “banana style” becomes amazing. Great position for “breakfast from the hammock, reading maps, and watching wildlife. If you can’t get a giant knee pillow, you can push your heels apart into the “stirrup position”.

3) cross-legged - if you need to sit up completely straight like to eat soup, cross your legs while sitting in-line and the hammock turns into a firm and sturdy platform.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Since the foot end is higher than the head when I hang mine, I flip around so that I'm going to be leaning back against the foot end, then I slide pretty far in that direction (but not so far that the ridgeline is hitting my head), then I move my feet apart until they are on the outer edges of the hammock. That way where I'm sitting in the material and where my feet are laying in it are not inline w/ each other.
    End result, no banana shape and pretty comfortable for sitting.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by villagelock View Post
    I've had some good results from folding the hammock in half and sitting on the double layer. It gets me
    closer to the off-side for some back support and eases the ridge across the back of my thighs.
    +1. Essentially folding one half towards the center makes for a nice firm seat. The bucket seat you end up in when you just sit in it at 90 is not so great for doing anything but lounging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast