Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

Enlightened Equipment Paladin

I’m looking for a really light tarp but am not yet ready to make the splurge for DCF. I once saw a recommendation on here about the Paladin tarp made by EE. Do they still make that tarp? I can’t tell from their website if they are just out of stock or if they stopped producing them altogether.

If EE doesn’t make that one anymore, does anyone have another recommendation? I’d like to get down to the 10-ounce range and the only one that I can find that comes close to that is Dutchware’s ultralight Xenon hex tarp. I prefer a 12-footer over 11 just to give a little extra coverage to my 11-ft hammock. I do not want to go as small as an asym tarp; hex is about as small as I’m willing to go. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kmjohnson1974; 08-07-2021 at 10:02.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'll be honest I think you're probably going to have to go do it yourself or buy cuben fiber.

DutchWare is about the only thing I see close to what you're looking for.

I spent a few minutes browsing ultralight tarps to try and help. However nearest thing I could find available was about twice the weight if you'd like to have.

https://www.backcountrygear.com/glob...lite-tarp.html

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Warbonnet mini fly is less than 12 oz.

Also, you could likely touch base with a few of our vendors and have the make you one out of membrane sil-poly and be right in your target weight.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

Enlightened Equipment Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post

Also, you could likely touch base with a few of our vendors and have the make you one out of membrane sil-poly and be right in your target weight.

Thanks, Countrybois. Didn’t think to check WB’s site. There are some features to the Minifly I like. One is that it has a silpoly (less water absorption) option and the other are the split beak doors on the end to provide just a little extra weather protection. Wish it came in a 12-footer, but those doors mitigate that limitation.

Last edited by kmjohnson1974; 08-07-2021 at 16:49.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post

^^^^I second this suggestion, specifically SLD Trail Haven, which has gobs of options for size and materials. Not to mention warp speed production and shipping.

Regarding EE, I don't know what's up but there are multiple products currently not available. However, in any event the Paladin tarp material is described as polyurethane coated silnylon, which doesn't give me the warm fuzzies at all because PU coatings degrade over time just sitting in your closet.

But if/when you transition officially to kool-aid drinkin' gram weenie you won't regret coughing up the coin for DCF.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    ^^^^I second this suggestion, specifically SLD Trail Haven, which has gobs of options for size and materials. Not to mention warp speed production and shipping.

Regarding EE, I don't know what's up but there are multiple products currently not available. However, in any event the Paladin tarp material is described as polyurethane coated silnylon, which doesn't give me the warm fuzzies at all because PU coatings degrade over time just sitting in your closet.

But if/when you transition officially to kool-aid drinkin' gram weenie you won't regret coughing up the coin for DCF.
    Thanks, cmoulder. I took a look at SLD’s Trail Haven tarp and like all the various options they offer. However, I couldn’t find where it would give you a weight for whatever you chose. It simply says “weights will vary depending on options chosen.” Am I overlooking something?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson1974 View Post
    Thanks, cmoulder. I took a look at SLD’s Trail Haven tarp and like all the various options they offer. However, I couldn’t find where it would give you a weight for whatever you chose. It simply says “weights will vary depending on options chosen.” Am I overlooking something?

No, there's no automatic calculator on SLD that updates weight as options are chosen.

However, you could look on Dutchware's website for something with very similar spec and use that to get an idea. For instance, a DW Xenon sil 1.1 11' length and 9.5' width (114"... which is pretty wide) is 383g (13.5oz) according to their calculator.

Of course that doesn't include any cordage or other add-ons.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I’m looking for a really light tarp but am not yet ready to make the splurge for DCF.

I prefer a 12-footer over 11 just to give a little extra coverage to my 11-ft hammock.
    I have a Dutchware 12' Xenon tarp available... here's a link to my original post in the FS section back in March. PM me if interested.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks, Countrybois. Didn’t think to check WB’s site. There are some features to the Minifly I like. One is that it has a silpoly (less water absorption) option and the other are the split beak doors on the end to provide just a little extra weather protection. Wish it came in a 12-footer, but those doors mitigate that limitation.

You can get it in 12' or even 13' as a custom build with Warbonnet.....https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...uilder/#length
    I have the 11' MiniFly in silpoly and it is a top tarp.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF W Palace
    Insulation
    Quilt + Underquilt
    Suspension
    Spider Web+ C Loop
    I know you said that you don't want to splurge on DCF...but I think this really is one area to go for it if you are able to save up/sell some unused gear to make up the difference. My full size winter palace DCF tarp with doors is just over 10 oz including all guylines and snakeskin. More importantly, DCF is just the ideal fabric for tarps - absolutely no water absorption, easy to roll up and store, and for the weight you can get one that's big enough to not make any compromises on weather protection. I don't know about you, but I HATE getting wet while sleeping in the woods, and I don't trust those smaller asym tarps as far as I can throw them.

Just my 20,000 cents (harhar), but I think you won't regret the extra $200 or so you spend on this item...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast