Underquilt ideas/examples for fine cotton netted mexican hammocks (XL ) ?

Hi all .. I'm a relative hammock newbie and have collected a few for general lounging , reading in the woods and meditation!

I recently dug out an XL Mexican hammock ( fine triple weave cotton) that I'd had stored for many years.
    When I lay in it it felt just so comfortable I have decided despite it's weight and bulk ( I use a bicycle for exploration) I would very much like to use it year round in the UK .

Since much of the year it is not warm and can be downright cold I'll obviously need some insulation but have been unable to find much on the web in regard to examples (either home made or commercial ) I guess there's not much need in Mexico etc and elsewhere they're used indoors.

Basically I'm looking for ideas,examples, tips,etc as I'm really keen to sort something that would work well.

The hammock itself is fairly stretchy and conforms to the body contours ..hence the superb comfort but is extremely wide . I'll try and post a photo of the type I'm talking about in case my description is unclear.

Many thanks in advance
    5a0bd40b02598e66e2a26e4e830e57ac.jpg
    Bill in Devon/UK

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Your challenge is you are carrying it on a bike. So bulk, not necessarily weight, is a concern. Also, many of the usual “players” are non-breathable - which can cause vaper to liquify and trickle down your back.
    If the temperatures are moderate, you might get by with something like the light weight “blankets” they supply on airlines. Those are for sale via various online stores. They are light weight, packable, breathable, a may provide just enough barrier so every little breeze won’t produce a chill. That would be for daytime resting at some location you biked to. If you are thinking of overnight camping, then you are back into the realm of inflatable pads or under quilts.

It would help if you mentioned the temperature range, wind conditions, etc. you are targeting.

Note that if you are wearing clothes, the hammock material will feel like the clothes you are wearing. In that case, the characteristic you are favoring is the springiness/stretchiness of the cotton weave. You might get close to that with more traditional (camping) hammock fabric by choosing those known for that characteristic. i.e. Single Layer and something on the lower density scale 1.2 hyper D (as long as it will support your weight).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    I use my protoype stretch-mesh underquilt at home on my Brazilian hammock. Its made from a down costco quilt and some spandex stretch mesh. Instructions on how to make one are here.

You can also try P-Dub's Hygge Hugger concept made from an IKEA bed comforter blanket. Its cheap and easy but also bulky.

I don't think you would want to use any of the conventional, commercial camping underquilt designs because they will be too narrow or confining on a very large hammock like that.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I have used my Mayan hammock mostly w/ my SLD UQP because it's hot here right now. I only put the UQP on to keep the mosquitoes off.
    I did put a basic UQ on it a couple times which worked but I had to be careful of the line locks and barrel adjusters getting caught in the netting.
    If I was going to use an UQ on it for regular use it would definitely be in the style of the Wookie or SLD's Trail Winder, similar to what Leiavoia suggested. As far as width, I lay pretty diagonal in my camping hammock and the same in the Mayan, so if the UQ is wide enough for me in one it works the same in the other. Is there extra width in the Mayan that doesn't get used, sure, but I feel that is pretty normal unless I had a narrower one to cut down on bulk.

Many thanks for all the suggestions ..some food for though and much appreciated.
    Regards
    Bill

• + New Posts