El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Ten Minute Tensa

I wanted a slightly smaller garage stand.

This isn't something to brag about, it's easy to make with only a drill though. For a first stand to see how it works you can make this with minimal time and money.

It's temporary for me until it goes in the closet to use for overflow. I am thinking of a built in solution, but it must be removable.

So cheap matters, ugly doesn't, easy is king.

Thus The Ten Minute Tensa was born

It really took thirty, ten splicing, ten drilling, ten for setup. But that's not as catchy.

As simple as you can make it. Total cost under $25 in 2021.

I used four 2*4*8’s that do not have any large knots or flaws.
    Four dog-bones
    One whoopie for between the legs
    Two soft shackles
    Whoopie for an anchor.

Easy as can be to make. Drill a 3/8 inch hole centered, 2 inches from the end of each end of every board.
    Lay them out in a diamond on the ground and join them together with the dog bones.
    Connect the whoopie sling to set the distance of the legs with your soft shackles.

Use carabiners or some other connection method to join your hammock’s continuous loops to the vertical leg joins. You will need a hammock with a structural ridgeline.

Use something to anchor the foot so that it will not collapse on you and follow standard usage warnings to keep from mousetrapping.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

nice demonstration of how versatile this design is in terms of "home engineering opportunities". i'm just bothered by the thought of the dyneema rubbing through those holes and on the corners of the holes, as the stand settles every time it is loaded/unloaded, and wondering if that could be prevented (without making it a 45minute tensa, thus spoiling the ring of it ). perhaps instead of dog bones, two short softshackles on each side, with the bigger variety of stopper knot (the "spliced overhand" or something like that), and then put the carabinner (or a third softshackle) through both tails, of course hole edges still worth chamfering. the hope is that at least this way the stoppers will just rest against the hole without much movement, and as you're pulling each only from one direction, rubbing back and forth under load cannot happen.

and yeah, i guess it's not an issue as it is now, dyneema is well known to be hard wearing, and might well wear out channels in the wood before it wears itself out, but, well, seems like it would be easy to do and worth it (and two softshackles for this purpose will probably take the same or less than one dogbone to make, as we're talking just cutting the rope to length and making the stopper, you don't even need a capture loop in this case)

thanks for sharing, i find it inspiring.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    nice demonstration of how versatile this design is in terms of "home engineering opportunities". i'm just bothered by the thought of the dyneema rubbing through those holes and on the corners of the holes, as the stand settles every time it is loaded/unloaded, and wondering if that could be prevented (without making it a 45minute tensa, thus spoiling the ring of it ). perhaps instead of dog bones, two short softshackles on each side, with the bigger variety of stopper knot (the "spliced overhand" or something like that), and then put the carabinner (or a third softshackle) through both tails, of course hole edges still worth chamfering. the hope is that at least this way the stoppers will just rest against the hole without much movement, and as you're pulling each only from one direction, rubbing back and forth under load cannot happen.

and yeah, i guess it's not an issue as it is now, dyneema is well known to be hard wearing, and might well wear out channels in the wood before it wears itself out, but, well, seems like it would be easy to do and worth it (and two softshackles for this purpose will probably take the same or less than one dogbone to make, as we're talking just cutting the rope to length and making the stopper, you don't even need a capture loop in this case)

thanks for sharing, i find it inspiring.
    Thanks,
    I find it ugly.

There is no movement of the dog bones unless I am swinging.

Also, I am going to use the dog bones for quick shackles when I take this apart. I am to lazy to make large ones just for this.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Pix #2 worth a million bucks
    It’s a beautimous thing

After creation, time4 a few zzzzz in hammock

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    That’s impressive!

I made a stand out of lashed poles once, but ultimately didn’t trust it. This looks solid.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    That’s impressive!

I made a stand out of lashed poles once, but ultimately didn’t trust it. This looks solid.
    Thanks, I have one I made out of toprail that I like to take out camping. Its big enough to make a cabin with my winter tarp. That thing is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Pix #2 worth a million bucks
    It’s a beautimous thing

After creation, time4 a few zzzzz in hammock
    The princess Adora blessed it to prevent sudden collapse and possible daddy damage that might slow down play time.

IT is better than I thought it would be and very light to fold up into the corner to get some space to work on things.
    I won't be ashamed to make company sleep in it. I will just enjoy them waiting for it to collapse.

• + New Posts