Images

Tensa 4 transported on an airline

Has any one done this, flown with a Tensa 4? It will barely fit in my carry on, but I am assuming TSA or American will not allow that due to potential weapons: poles, stakes, etc. Is that right, a no go for carry on?

If I check it, it will be placed inside a ULA Catalyst backpack, with a frame and back pad on one side, and lots of soft stuff all around to pad it more. Then placed on top of a CCF pad inside a duffle bag filled with lots of additional padding. I'm guessing this will protect the stand poles enough as the baggage folks toss the duffle around. Thoughts?

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Has any one done this, flown with a Tensa 4? It will barely fit in my carry on, but I am assuming TSA or American will not allow that due to potential weapons: poles, stakes, etc. Is that right, a no go for carry on?

If I check it, it will be placed inside a ULA Catalyst backpack, with a frame and back pad on one side, and lots of soft stuff all around to pad it more. Then placed on top of a CCF pad inside a duffle bag filled with lots of additional padding. I'm guessing this will protect the stand poles enough as the baggage folks toss the duffle around. Thoughts?
    Better than I pack golf clubs to fly. They never complain about checked bags as long as they can sling them without tearing them apart.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

Both Cheryl (a former commercial pilot) and I have flown with Tensa4 as carry-on. But you’re right, it would be easy to interpret TSA regs as disallowing. Do you seek forgiveness or permission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Maybe you could check the ground stakes (pointy things) separate. If you check your backpack, I highly recommend you put the whole thing in a plastic bag, preferably transparent. In fact, if you don’t, the airlines may do it for you. I think they’ve learned that straps and buckles get caught on everything.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Well, I ended up checking it. Packed, with other items for cushioning, inside my ULA Catalyst pack. Then the entire pack inside a large duffle bag, with other items included. All went well. And what a blessing that I brought it. The large tents including a kitchen screen tent of the other group members took up most of the camp site. But even if they hadn't, the trees were cleared in such a fashion that hanging any hammock to them would have had to cross from one end of the campsite to another, being in the way of every one else big time. My bud who travelled with me from Asheville to Buffalo to meet his brothers, and then to the Adirondaks, the guy who introduced me to hanging back in 2006, was unable to find a place to hang my WB Ridgeline which he wanted to try out. So, he slept on a cot for 4 nights. Me, I found a spot just big enough, in one little corner of the campsite near the parked trucks and road, to set up what they called my "domicile". I tethered the foot end to a small tree a bit out in the woods off of the campsite. I counter balanced the head end. I put on the tarp extenders and add my 12 year old, torn and patched JRB 11X10 tarp. I slept like a baby in my new Superiorgear insulated 30F hammock. (after the first night, I added a loose tether and boom stake right under the head apex, just for extra security). I kept dry in a couple of storms, even dryer than the folks in the tents. It could not have worked better! I could have never hung without it. Thank you, Todd and Cheryl, for this excellent product!

• + New Posts