Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

24 Miles to Big Hill

The weather was ideal and the timing was just right. This time, Bob and I found ourselves in Harriman State Park devouring 24 miles of trail on our way to Big Hill. Our day started with the most technical of all climbs in Harriman, Pingyp Mountain. If you have not climbed up or down Pingyp and have plans to cross it.. be careful here! It is rather steep and sketchy at many points. Do not avoid it, as I can tell you it is a fun challenge and there are some nice views along the way and from the top.

Along the 24 miles, we passed Turkey Hill lake, which I thought was beautiful!! It is such a nice section and there are a few spots to camp in the vicinity, 1 or 2 were better then the others. However, this lake is a short hike in from another trail head, so it is a bit used and abused, unfortunately people do not know how to LNT (Leave No Trace).

We reached Big Hill after 24 miles and 12 hours of hiking. There was a short time left before sunset so we quickly made camp and cooked dinner.

Bob slept in his hammock and I slept in my Katabatic Gear Piñon bivy. I used my EE 40° Enigma and X lite regular/wide pad. Overnight temperature hit 50° with little or no breeze, I slept perfect. There was some condensation on my quilt and bivy in the morning, mostly on the footbox. It was not an issue for me, i simply laid them out on a huge boulder as the sun rose and they dried in mere minutes. For 1, 2 or 3 nights I would not have any concerns with the bivy and condensation on these kind of trips. I simply love the lightweight, and the minimal pack space it uses. I also love that I can lay it out in an open field, on the grass or on a mountain top and enjoy the massive open views of the night sky while being glittered with stars all around me. It was my final reward for hiking a long 24 miles throughout the day. Waking up in the morning just before sunrise is also spectacular, opening my eyes and seeing the orange and purple sky beginning to brighten is very warming to my soul. There is some about sleeping so minimal on the ground, it really gives me a sense of connection with nature.

Day 2 we had a short 2 mile hike out to our cars. We passed a fire tower and some old ruins along the way.

I need to keep hiking and hiking. I do have more short overnight trips that i will be doing but I am planning on hitting the Northville Lake Placid trail in September 2022 and would like to complete the entire trail in about 8 days, give or take a day, so I do need to keep my legs strong and in hiking shape for long distance days of 20+ miles.

Hopefully you take the 20 minutes and check out the video. Enjoy!!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Great video & trip report Dirtbag, per the usual.

The hike up Pingyp looked pretty challenging & I'm sure it added a fun dimension to the trip. I've done a ton of tarp camping but never a bivy, although I'd like to try it someday.

Man, I'm jealous too... you guys being so close to Harriman must be uber nice. Being able to get away to a close by destination with lots of trails to hike would be great. Down here in Texas, it's Africa hot right now & many hours away from the trail. C'mon Fall!!

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for sharing.

I can never decide if I like best the mountains, the forest, or the sky.

Spending time studying and thinking about it it's one of the best ways to while away the day outside.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Thanks!! Both of you! Bivys kind of suck but do have their places and times. I much prefer my full net bug bivy just for condensation issues. As you can tell by my videos, depending on the trip, i will use my hammock, tent, net tent, tarp and/or bivies. I have my kits dialed in and I am comfortable in most situations I tend to get myself into!!!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Hey bro, thanks for inspiring me to get out!

Sounded like a bit too much at first but given the totally perfect conditions it was impossible to resist. And it was totally worth it.

Some day I'm going to try sleeping on the ground again. The hammock has spoiled me, though, and I was glad to have the Robic 1.2 Darien.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Hahaa.. any time Bob. Im happy everything worked out the way it did. 24 miles is doable, we know this now! Felt really good to bang that out. I had been planning that route for some time now so I am glad its off my list.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    That was a considerable amount of work. Congratulations! And nice job with the video.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Here's the route profile on Caltopo. As "flat" routes go, it had its share of hills!

profile_Big_Hill_hike.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Gee. I think I have seen that pack before.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts